Cornwall Football Forum

Referee's inspection on match day approach for Saturday

SWPL secretary Phil Hiscox has taken a slightly different approach to this Saturday's process when it comes to calling off games. Phil has just started a thread on the SWPL Forum's Postponements page and it reads as follows:-

"I will NOT be accepting postponements prior to Saturday morning this week and I WILL require a formal referees inspection this week.

That may sound harsh as I am fully aware that many pitches are saturated still and I am aware that the forecasts do include some more rain in them.

However, there are no yellow or amber weather warnings in force, no flood alerts and in may ways the forecast is not unexpected for the time of year – It is after all February and that is normally on the cold side, with bouts of wet weather either in showers or longer spells of rain, often light and murky rather than torrential as we have experienced recently.

I am aware that some pitches will still not be fit for play this weekend, but I think some maybe and we are all in the position now that a playable pitch where it exists should be played upon. The best way for me to enable that is to insist upon a referees inspection on match day, at such time as to prevent the away team travelling and as per league rules.

I will of course keep weather forecasts under consideration in case a weather warning is issued by the Met Office, and of course I will be at my desk from early Saturday morning to list games off as normal, I’m just trying – as we all should be – to keep some Games On if at all possible !"

Think the two bands of rain heading torwards Devon & Cornwall on friday early hours, & Saturday early hours through until early afternoon will do the damage Paul. Thats not including the showers in between! Dont envy the ground staff trying to rectify the playing surfaces if there is a match on the weekend, will do more harm than good!

On 2/11/2016 at 10:21, Dave Deacon said:

SWPL secretary Phil Hiscox has taken a slightly different approach to this Saturday's process when it comes to calling off games. Phil has just started a thread on the SWPL Forum's Postponements page and it reads as follows:-

"I will NOT be accepting postponements prior to Saturday morning this week and I WILL require a formal referees inspection this week.

That may sound harsh as I am fully aware that many pitches are saturated still and I am aware that the forecasts do include some more rain in them.

However, there are no yellow or amber weather warnings in force, no flood alerts and in may ways the forecast is not unexpected for the time of year – It is after all February and that is normally on the cold side, with bouts of wet weather either in showers or longer spells of rain, often light and murky rather than torrential as we have experienced recently.

I am aware that some pitches will still not be fit for play this weekend, but I think some maybe and we are all in the position now that a playable pitch where it exists should be played upon. The best way for me to enable that is to insist upon a referees inspection on match day, at such time as to prevent the away team travelling and as per league rules.

I will of course keep weather forecasts under consideration in case a weather warning is issued by the Met Office, and of course I will be at my desk from early Saturday morning to list games off as normal, I’m just trying – as we all should be – to keep some Games On if at all possible !"

Dave, This has now changed, after reading his post minutes ago on the SWPL website, Phil Hiscox has now granted permission for host clubs to Postpone games as of Now if they deem their pitches unplayable & will be waterlogged for tomorrows fixtures. With the in clement weather thats due in overnight i can see a lot of games being Postponed!