Cornwall Football Forum

CCFA Investigation

Taken from the Falmouth Packet online:

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched by the Cornwall FA following an incident involving Helston Athletic supporters at the Senior Cup semi-final at Newquay on Tuesday.

Several independent complaints were made regarding the behaviour and language of fans, who were sat in the stand next to the two teams' dugouts in the match against Bodmin Town, who won the game 5-2.

Richard Pallot, Cornwall FA's governance manager, said: "We are investigating the complaints and we'll be talking to both clubs and the officials to gather information. We will try and deal with it as quickly as possible once we have received relevant information from all parties."

Helston Football Club chairman Paul Hendy said: "The club is disappointed that a very small minority of supporters failed to follow the FA's Code of Conduct. We're working very closely with the CCFA to identify them and from there, appropriate action will be taken."

Mr Hendy added that there could also be a financial implication for the club, who had hoped to stage a county final or a county youth fixture at Kellaway Parc this season. In light of Tuesday's events, he feels that the Cornwall FA are now unlikely to award them such a prestige fixture.

"A small number of supporters have acted like idiots without considering the implications of their actions."He described the behaviour as a "black cloud" on not only the football club, but also the town of Helston.

Not the first time that a small bunch of idiots have let themselves, their Club and their community down, but close to the first time that the authorities have acted to do something about it. Well done CCFA (and I don't say that very often) and Helston F.C. for acknowledging the  problem and looking to do something about it.

It is somewhat ironic that just seven days early the potty mouthed obscenities were falling out of the Bodmin dugout at the assistant referee and referee (not for the first time) and no complaints or action was taken. Maybe if there was some free food, the CCFA would have been there and witnessed it first hand... :c:

On behalf of the players, management, committee and true supporters of Helston AFC, I wish to apologise to Bodmin Town and Newquay Football Clubs, the Cornwall FA and all other attendees at Tuesday nights Cornwall Senior Cup Semi-Final, for the reported behaviour of several so called Helston AFC supporters. 

It is unfortunate that players, match officials and other supporters, being subjected to the use of threatening and abusive language from the touchlines (not just from the spectators) appears to have become common place at all levels of football these days. However, that is not a valid excuse for those who participate in such behaviour and individuals should be prepared to accept responsibility for their actions. 
Congratulations to Bodmin on a convincing victory and we hope that all who played and attended, will remember the game for what was seen on the pitch, rather than what was heard from the touchlines.

Paul Hendy
Chairman, Helston Athletic Football Club.

I had a similar chat about this with someone last week. Now, bare in mind that I am a junior referee; I asked what would happen in the event of a scenario like this.

The person I spoke to said you would take a similar "stepped" approach, as you would with the players. In this case, you'd speak to the management team and ask them to deal with it. Hopefully they would have a procedure in place at the ground for situations like this. You'd expect them to either make an announcement or talk to the culprits (depending on the size and mood of the crowd). The referee wouldn't go anywhere near the supporters or get involved with moving them.

Their actions are offensive and insulting and are bringing the game into disrepute. The referee has the power to suspend the game, or abandon as you rightfully say. Although I'm sure that if the referee was to abandon the game, he/she would have to have a very good reason in the eyes of the County FA. He/she would be fully within his/her rights to abandon in accordance with the Laws of the Game.

Hopefully a more senior referee than myself can confirm or elaborate. I asked the question to a ref friend of mine a few weeks ago as I was wondering what I'd do in a situation like this.

There was a scenario in the Bundesliga last week where the referee used the Captain as a message-man between him and his manager. The referee wanted the manager to go to the stands. Manager wouldn't budge so the referee suspends the game for almost ten minutes.

Referees will get fed up refereeing these clubs soon and the only way to get officials will be to bring them in from all over Devon and how much will that cost them! They'll soon put their house in order when the cost of putting on a home game quadruples over night.

We need to put a stop to it really quickly and if that means long-term total stadium bans for managers then let's do it. If that means fining the club who can't manage its supporters then again do it.

We've all had cause to moan at referees over the years but without them we'd have nothing to do every Saturday.

I think the all club Chairman need to set examples throughout, punish and remove the idiots ,they are in control so the blame should lie with them if they can't keep people representing the clubs and them in order,but sadly this doesn't happen as they are afraid of losing managers and players...

this sort of behaviour hasc been evident in and around dugouts for years often aimed at officials. Until these officials have the balls to report such, and are then backed by the relevant county FA NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.

I have been amazed at some of the language aimed at officials and opponents and cannot understand why they put up with it.

Refs hand out yellow cards like confetti but seem reluctant to issue reds for foul & abusive language. A f*ck is a f*ck no matter what the tolerance level of the ref.

In many years watching games at Penzance I can only recall one occasion where the referee stopped the game to ask for a supporter to be ejected. I think a combination of foul language and too much beer was the cause.

2 hours ago, magpie291 said:

In many years watching games at Penzance I can only recall one occasion where the referee stopped the game to ask for a supporter to be ejected. I think a combination of foul language and too much beer was the cause.

If it's the occasion I'm thinking of, two supporters were ejected - one of whom never said a thing! The referee, who was the top marked referee the previous season, found himself suspended and although he was reinstated later in the season, he decided to call it a day.

I think the reason he was suspended was because he failed to report the fact he asked for two 'supporters' to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVkFVgqhYlk

Just in case you haven't seen a drunk referee before! :yahoo:

Latest snippet from Falmouth Packet online:

HELSTON Athletic Football Club has taken swift action in banning a supporter from their ground on match days following an incident at Newquay on Tuesday.

Although the Cornwall FA's investigation is ongoing, Kellaway Parc officials have identified the offending male and have imposed an interim ban from watching any game - home or away - involving a Helston team.

Chairman Paul Hendy said: "It is an interim measure which maybe increased, or maybe reduced, once the FA have completed their investigation. As a club we wanted to act fast and the ban starts with immediate effect."

The investigation was launched after independent complaints about behaviour from a small number of Helston fans during their Senior Cup semi-final against Bodmin.

Although the Cornwall FA's investigation is ongoing, Kellaway Parc officials have identified the offending male and have imposed an interim ban from watching any game - home or away - involving a Helston team.

I doubt very much that Helston Officials have the power to impose a ban for away games. That would be down to the Home side Officials unless CCFA impose a ban.

Everyone is aware who is at the stem of this at Helston,the lack of respect and foul mouthed rants towards the match officials and opposing dugout on match days is witnessed on a weekly basis,the Ccfa are aware as they have set bans in the past which going on Tuesday's antics wasn't sufficient!

I would let someone who is independent from Helston but who is familiar locally on and off the pitch and let them point out the people that are wrong for the game and then let the Ccfa have his findings to punish appropriately, like I've said the Chairman won't punish anyone who would possibly lose them playing staff.I would recommend K Knowles to help,he is very respected in the area and isn't scared to speak his mind,he is aware of who's the problems down at Helston......

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 09:53, shedhead said:

Everyone is aware who is at the stem of this at Helston,the lack of respect and foul mouthed rants towards the match officials and opposing dugout on match days is witnessed on a weekly basis,the Ccfa are aware as they have set bans in the past which going on Tuesday's antics wasn't sufficient!

You got that in one buddy. Well said.

On 5 March 2016 at 11:12, Blues10 said:

I don't think it's my place to say the name of the one who has been banned from Helston. He has no official connection to the club. All I will say is, I hope he's learnt his lesson and realised what a tit he made of himself.

His so called friends and family shouldn't egg him on then should they,he loves watching Helston and helping the grounds man so I think you should feel ashamed of yourselves,he is just the scapegoat!!!

The Culptits (male and female)are both related to the Helston manager and the Chaiman is aware of this so hopefully will punish adequately so Helston AFC can move forward:)