Cornwall Football Forum

Senior cup final Easter Monday

28 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Another Cornwall FA brilliant piece of organisation - it just gets worse !

Personally I wouldn't have changed the format, although I seem to recall you've had problems with that as well BIG AL. However the decision for this season is due to the CCFA acting on the opinions received back from the clubs footballing people last season!

Let's face it, they can't win whatever they do! :ninja:

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Personally I wouldn't have changed the format, although I seem to recall you've had problems with that as well BIG AL. However the decision for this season is due to the CCFA acting on the opinions received back from the clubs footballing people last season!

The attendances at the final are nowhere near as large when the final went to a replay and not settled on the day as it is now. Interest in this event is at least 50 per cent down on what it was 10 years ago. This will continue unless more effort is inputted by the Cornwall FA making the whole event more interesting and giving consideration to the venue by attempting to split the distance equally for teams and supporters. This is common sense - altogether lacking by the fa.

15 minutes ago, midlandlilywhite said:

2014 - 1200.  2015  -  1005.  Sorry don't know before that. 10,000 at Poltair in 1948 !  

Around 2 - 300. I remember going to St.Austell in the very late 60s and early 70s and finding it hard to get a viewing position because of the packed crowds all round the ground.

5 - 6000 was common. Also then there was the runners upmatch played first so you got double value for money.

9 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Around 2 - 300. I remember going to St.Austell in the very late 60s and early 70s and finding it hard to get a viewing position because of the packed crowds all round the ground.

5 - 6000 was common. Also then there was the runners upmatch played first so you got double value for money.

I remember about 2-3000 at Truro for the 1964 Final between St Austell and St Blazey. 

We, of age, can all remember bigger attendances in local football back along rather than today! And sadly, those days will never return.

Even if this season's final is to be settled on the day (I can't see any reason why not, because in the past it was always suggested that the 2 game situation was a hindrance), it still won't attract any more than 600 tops! Having said that, I hope I am totally out on that estimate :c:

If the CCFA aren't coming up with any ideas to attract people back, start the ball rolling BIG AL with a suggestion, because I have to admit I'm at a loss!

18 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I heard from a reliable source that it was a request from Trelawny League clubs to change the format not from the Duchy League. Ironically enough the final will be contested from two Clubs from East Cornwall. 

13 minutes ago, John Mead said:

The change was made following a survey which was open to all interested parties throughout the County. The results favoured splitting the two finals but there was no "audit" of which Leagues/Clubs voters were affiliated to.

As far as you know John, is this a permanent change or is it under review?

2 hours ago, midlandlilywhite said:

I heard from a reliable source that it was a request from Trelawny League clubs to change the format not from the Duchy League. Ironically enough the final will be contested from two Clubs from East Cornwall. 

You're correct in that midlandlilywhite.  A Trelawny EGM was held to gauge the opinion of the clubs and from memory there was a 2/3 to 1/3 vote in favour of separate final days and a 'countywide' Junior Cup.  As is their right the Duchy chose not to hold such a meeting so a survey of all clubs in the county was carried out by the CCFA.  The results of that survey were pretty much in line with the Trelawny figures so the decision was made to change.  This is year one of a three year trial of the new format and there will be 'lessons learned' meetings after this years finals have been completed so any feedback that the clubs have should be passed to the CCFA either via their League Reps or directly into the County Office.  

Personally I think was a terrible idea to split the finals. Great day out to watch 2 big games in Cornish football. Im also pretty sure there will be less people, as people who want to watch the Junior Cup, potentially stay for the next game, and Vice Versa. Also think it will be a low crowd this year, due to a lot of other football being played on that day as well.

Shame really.

12 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Just seen the SW weather forecast

Wind and rain for Saturday and Monday hope the Treyew pitch can hold up for the CS cup final as Truro play Sutton on Saturday-perhaps its just as well there is only one game on  Easter Monday.

Well that was always one of the issues with playing two in one afternoon!

On 23/03/2016 at 15:35, Steve Carpenter said:

You're correct in that midlandlilywhite.  A Trelawny EGM was held to gauge the opinion of the clubs and from memory there was a 2/3 to 1/3 vote in favour of separate final days and a 'countywide' Junior Cup.  As is their right the Duchy chose not to hold such a meeting so a survey of all clubs in the county was carried out by the CCFA.  The results of that survey were pretty much in line with the Trelawny figures so the decision was made to change.  This is year one of a three year trial of the new format and there will be 'lessons learned' meetings after this years finals have been completed so any feedback that the clubs have should be passed to the CCFA either via their League Reps or directly into the County Office.  

The Duchy League chose to ask its members at an agm, not particularly scientific - just a show of hands from those present - but it was overwhelmingly in favour of keeping to Easter Monday.

It must also be said that the CCFA's survey only had something like 50% reply (and that's the club secretaries faults not the County's fault) but not big enough reply to accurately gauge opinion.

From what I hear when visiting clubs, the chance to visit new clubs across the county is generally welcomed but the resulting loss of an east v west final is a high price to pay.

As for the Junior final being on a Friday night, that is definitely not appreciated and I suspect it wouldn't be if two west clubs were in it. My personal feeling is that it shows a great lack of that  wonderful FA favourite 'respect' to the junior leagues, clubs, players and supporters who surely make up the bulk of the Cornish football family.