Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Monday April 18th 2016

Just goes to show, accidents happen. 50/50 ball, fair challenge, broken tib and fib. Poor lad was laid on the pitch for an hour before a paramedic arrived. When someone earlier had 'phoned to ask why an ambulance hadn't arrived they were told not to 'phone again! Nice! How much longer was he laying there before an ambulance arrived? Bright side: apparently the lad is only 16 so should mend quickly with the right after-care. My best wishes to the lad. His mates will soon be scribbling rude comments on his cast!

Now, come on, O.K. the lad should have been assessed by a Paramedic, first by phone to triage the extent of his injuries, and assess if they were life-threatening, then in person to confirm the previous decision, then an appropriate method of transporting him to hospital should be arranged. For an uncomplicated lower limb fracture it all seems appropriate.

If I, or a loved one, had a heart attack (or other life threatening condition) and could not access an ambulance to save a life, because it was being used by an, otherwise, perfectly fit young man with a broken leg, I would be more than a little peeved!

: [martin55] Monday 18th April 2016 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

S W Peninsula League Div 1 West
Illogan RBL 0-0 Plymouth Argyle Res/Academy Development/whatever
Adm £3; Att c110

Abandoned after two minutes following a broken ankle for Argyle youngster Sam Ryan. The match kicked off at 6.30 as the ground does not have floodlights. It was immediately obvious from the player's screams that it was a bad injury and an ambulance was called straightaway. A paramedic arrived at 7.35(!!) in an estate car and attended to the player who had laid in the centre circle for over an hour. We left about ten minutes later assuming that an ambulance would still be en route to take the player to hospital.
It was a revisit for me to one of my favourite Cornish grounds but the first time to see an Argyle team play there. A 120 mile round trip for fish and chips, two pints of Tetley's and two minutes of football.
It's been rearranged for Thursday 28th with, I believe, free entry. Will try again then.

A viewpoint from a Plymouth supporter-- good gate 110

5 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Now, come on, O.K. the lad should have been assessed by a Paramedic, first by phone to triage the extent of his injuries, and assess if they were life-threatening, then in person to confirm the previous decision, then an appropriate method of transporting him to hospital should be arranged. For an uncomplicated lower limb fracture it all seems appropriate.

If I, or a loved one, had a heart attack (or other life threatening condition) and could not access an ambulance to save a life, because it was being used by an, otherwise, perfectly fit young man with a broken leg, I would be more than a little peeved!

There are a hell of a lot of potential serious consequences from a broken bone, some life threatening.

The fact is, the time taken is unacceptable, and would certainly be queried by me. I would certainly want to know why - if nothing else.

I've spoken to the argyle physio and Sam, he dislocated his ankle and pulled his ligaments along with fracturing his tib and fib, he is having a plate fitted today so hope it goes well. The paramedic tried to get a ambulance but to no joy so rather than leave the poor lad in the cold he took him to the hospital him after he put his leg in a temporary cast. 

We all at Illogan wish Sam a speedy recovery 

The game will now be replayed next Thursday and entry will be free to everyone

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There are a hell of a lot of potential serious consequences from a broken bone, some life threatening.

The fact is, the time taken is unacceptable, and would certainly be queried by me. I would certainly want to know why - if nothing else.

Probably the distance as it had to travel all the way from Redruth!

On 19 April 2016 at 22:42, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I am not suggesting that it is acceptable, what I am saying is that the Health Service in this county/country is woefully underfunded and some poor (underpaid and often regrettably undertrained) individual has to try to allocate the sparse resources. Getting one of the few Paramedics there as soon as possible (O.K. not soon enough) was right, Getting one of the, even fewer, ambulances there was not doable in an acceptable timeframe, so he was taken in a car.

22 hours ago, davegrose said:

Wonder if brugel wud of posted that same comment if it was his son that was waiting 80 mins for an ambulance?silly comment,hope the kid recovers well!

My comments are based in the real world, not some fantasy land where the N.H.S. has all the resources it needs, I do have some experience in this area and I have seen people die from lack of and/or inappropriate use of resources. Explain the"silly" in that please.

It goes without saying that I wish the lad well. The Health Service may be far from perfect, under its current stewardship, but we're still all lucky to have it.