Cornwall Football Forum

Durning Lawrence Cornwall Charity Cup Final Venue

I think it's a bit strange but the Durning Lawrence Cornwall Charity Cup Final between Mousehole and St Dennis will be played at Priory Park, Bodmin on Wednesday 11th May.

Why so far up in the east? Helston would be ideal. Penryn, Falmouth, Newquay all better choices in my opinion but what do I know?! :wacko:

Cornwall County   Charity Cup Final

Midway -near enough-What do you think Big Al ?

Semi Finals and Final

Cornwall Senior Cup  @ Newquay,@St.Blazey @ Truro-

Cornwall Charity Cup @ St.Austell.@St.Blazey.@ Bodmin-

Walter C Parson Cup @ St.Blazey, @Liskeard,@Launceston

Nothing doing in West Cornwall this season

27 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Semi Finals and Final

A hat trick for St. Blazey then, so that's how they can afford Alan Carey and the new regime, must have been a couple of good bar takings there. Well done C.C.F.A. giving a leg up to those in need.

Mike

You may want to get a new map!. How is Bodmin midway between Mousehole and St Dennis? It is approximately 52 miles from Mousehole and just 14 miles from St Dennis.  Even if you meant midway in Cornwall that is a stretch. Saltash to Bodmin 26 miles, Lands End to Bodmin 57 miles.  Falmouth would have been the best location. St Dennis to Falmouth 26 miles, Mousehole to Falmouth 29 miles. Now that is equidistant.  Penryn, Wendron, Helston, Porthleven all would have been much more "central" for both teams and of course their supporters. 

With no CFA cup games of any significance west of Truro this season I believe that the amount of paying spectators (i believe ticket sales go to the Cornwall FA and thus benefit everybody) would be significantly higher if the game was played at one of the grounds mentioned above rather than Bodmin.  Mousehole average attendance this season is 104 (interestingly just 4 less per game than Bodmin) compared to 66 at St Dennis. Is making these people travel nearly 4x the distance to watch the Final really the right way to do things and encourage local support of local teams?  If I was Mousehole I would be feeling very dissapointed with the CFA, and while I understand they have absolutely no say in the decision, if I was St Dennis I would be somewhat embarressed. 

Finally just to save everybody gettng their Satnavs out and challenging my milages, they were calculated using the distance on the fastest route calculated between the geographical centers of the towns using Google Maps. I am sure if you use the ground address and AA route finder you will get slightly different results!

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

Semi Finals and Final

Another fantastic decision by the cornwall fa as usual, no common sense!

Could not Newquay or Godolphin been given the opportunity - but Bodmin or Truro are always the favourites - perhaps their annual affiliation fee is higher. Chance would be a fine thing !

Good shout Nick,

It could  have been seen as recognising the vast ground improvements developed in short period of time at Kellaway Park.

Also a mid distance

I believe Phil Hiscox recognised their efforts by fixturing the first SW Peninsula floodlit game at Kellaway Park when Helston faced the League champions AFC St.Austell before a healthy crowd of  258 in early season

3 hours ago, Roy of the Rovers said:

Mike

You may want to get a new map!. How is Bodmin midway between Mousehole and St Dennis? It is approximately 52 miles from Mousehole and just 14 miles from St Dennis.  Even if you meant midway in Cornwall that is a stretch. Saltash to Bodmin 26 miles, Lands End to Bodmin 57 miles.  Falmouth would have been the best location. St Dennis to Falmouth 26 miles, Mousehole to Falmouth 29 miles. Now that is equidistant.  Penryn, Wendron, Helston, Porthleven all would have been much more "central" for both teams and of course their supporters. 

With no CFA cup games of any significance west of Truro this season I believe that the amount of paying spectators (i believe ticket sales go to the Cornwall FA and thus benefit everybody) would be significantly higher if the game was played at one of the grounds mentioned above rather than Bodmin.  Mousehole average attendance this season is 104 (interestingly just 4 less per game than Bodmin) compared to 66 at St Dennis. Is making these people travel nearly 4x the distance to watch the Final really the right way to do things and encourage local support of local teams?  If I was Mousehole I would be feeling very dissapointed with the CFA, and while I understand they have absolutely no say in the decision, if I was St Dennis I would be somewhat embarressed. 

Finally just to save everybody gettng their Satnavs out and challenging my milages, they were calculated using the distance on the fastest route calculated between the geographical centers of the towns using Google Maps. I am sure if you use the ground address and AA route finder you will get slightly different results!

Like you said ! We (St Dennis) have no say in the decision so why make that statement ? 

Falmouth have long since given up on any expectation of getting any games from the CCFA. Although Bickland Park is now a thing of faded splendour it has long been the best non-league ground in Cornwall and yet you could count the number of games it has been rewarded over the years on one or possibly two hands it seems.

I wonder why!!!???

48 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Falmouth have long since given up on any expectation of getting any games from the CCFA. Although Bickland Park is now a thing of faded splendour it has long been the best non-league ground in Cornwall and yet you could count the number of games it has been rewarded over the years on one or possibly two hands it seems.

I wonder why!!!???

I have asked this question many times before and still ask why ? In my opinion, until the ccfa is made up of a body of people that are genuinely interested in football in Cornwall as a whole, the forever repetitive venues are always going to be used !

Lee

My comment was that if I was St Dennis (which I am not, nor am I Mousehole) I would feel somewhat embarrassed. The reason being that I would not want it perceived that by the choice of ground location, I had been given an advantage in the game.

Now the facts are, as I clearly stated, that this is not a decision that St Dennis had any input in. However I would hope, especially at this level of football, everybody would prefer that any cup final be played without one team having a perceived (real or not) ground advantage over another.  I think it fair to say that to most independent followers, it appears that St Dennis have, unwittingly, been handed an advantage by the CFA in the choice of Bodmin for this game. Had they chosen a more central location this would all have been a non issue. 

With the general feedback on this forum, I think it is maybe I got it wrong, and rather than St Dennis it is probably the CFA who should be feeling embarrassed about their choice of location for this game. 

In any case I wish both clubs the best of luck for the final,  for what I anticipate will be a close game, hopefully in front of a large crowd, so that the players and their supporters can get the most out of the occasion. 

29 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I have asked this question many times before and still ask why ? In my opinion, until the ccfa is made up of a body of people that are genuinely interested in football in Cornwall as a whole, the forever repetitive venues are always going to be used !

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN LIFE!

STOP MOANING ABOUT IT AND SET ABOUT DOING SOMETHING POSITIVE TO CHANGE THINGS.

DON'T FOREVER RELY ON YOUR SKILLS AS A KEYBOARD WARRIOR TO EFFECT CHANGE. GET UP OUT OF YOUR SOFA AND GO AND DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES THE GAME BETTER RATHER THAN MOAN AND EXPECT OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU.

PEOPLE MIGHT NOT LIKE YOUR IDEAS BUT AT LEAST YOU'D BE HAVING A GO AND DOING SOMETHING AND FOR THAT WE CAN'T CRITISISE YOU.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS HERE READING THE FORUM THAT ARE EITHER PLAYERS, COACHES, MANAGERS, OFFICIALS OF CLUBS, GROUNDSMEN, REFEREES OR MAYBE JUST SELL RAFFLE TICKETS ON A SATURDAY. EVERYBODY IS VALUABLE WHATEVER THEIR ROLE. IT'S CLEAR YOU FOLLOW THE LOCAL GAME, IF YOU DIDN'T YOU WOULDN'T SPEND HOURS READING AND COMMENTING ON THIS FORUM. WHY NOT USE ALL THIS TIME TO GOOD EFFECT AND DO SOME POSITIVE WORK FOR THE GAME.

If this forum was around in the 1940s it would go into overload by the fact that St Austell hosted so many Senior Cup Finals, even when they were playing in it themselves! "Fanfare" a correspondent with the Cornish Guardian mentioned that it contravened CCFA rules which stated the final should be played on a ground neutral to both teams.

I think the biggest geographical anomoly was in the Cornwall Junior Cup (which was played on the same day where the venue was usually neutral to the two teams competing in the Senior Cup) in 1998 when Morwenstow played Penryn at Falmouth. The ground was perfect for the Porthleven v Truro final.

I understand the CCFA will be putting a general statement out regarding cup competitions and how difficult finding a venue for several games this season has been.

With regards to this particular game, a club (in the west, and I would say pretty much midway) was initially approached but could not accommodate due to an issue with their lights so a 7:30Pm Kick off wasn't an option.

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

I understand the CCFA will be putting a general statement out regarding cup competitions and how difficult finding a venue for several games this season has been.

With regards to this particular game, a club (in the west, and I would say pretty much midway) was initially approached but could not accommodate due to an issue with their lights so a 7:30Pm Kick off wasn't an option.

If the statement had been released at the same time all this hoo-hah could have been avoided!

Statement on the CCFA website from the CEO

County Cup Competitions Update...

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify Cornwall FA’s position regarding the County Cup Competitions this season.  I am sure as football enthusiasts you will be aware across the county as a whole just how far behind most leagues and clubs are, and have been with their fixtures but at the last recorded count we were well over 900 games behind due to the horrendous, continuous wet winter.  

The consequence of this is many/most clubs are now having to play mid-week fixtures, in some cases two mid-week games as well as weekends. If more than one team is involved with a club this exacerbates an already incredibly difficult situation.  

For those clubs with flood lights until the last week or two even this has just has not been possible as pitches had already been declared unfit before even one game had been played.

The long and short of it is many clubs could not entertain a county game taking place on their facilities potentially then rendering their pitch in a worse condition than it already was and further delaying their own fixture programme.

Last season having consulted with clubs and leagues the decision was taken to split the Senior and Junior Cup finals into separate events.  We would not have been able to secure any pitch in the county to hold two fixtures in one day this Easter.  

The SWPL Ground Hop, the East Cornwall League and Combination League finals were all scheduled to be played prior to the Easter Monday final at premier grounds across the county.  There was a huge likelihood that if any game had been played on any of the preceding few days at any of those grounds the Easter Monday final would have been postponed due to the pitch condition.  We are extremely grateful to Truro City FC , to Peter Masters and to the ground staff for putting a great deal of effort over that weekend to ensure the game went ahead, and even then a pitch inspection was necessary on the day to declare the pitch playable.  

Many clubs when contacted to hold mid-week county semi-finals or finals have already got first team fixtures scheduled over which we have no precedence to demand a fixture is postponed, holding additional midweek games either side of these fixtures has just not been possible. Other clubs have not wanted the additional headache of yet ANOTHER game which we have also respected or issues over which we have no control floodlights etc.

In some cases semi-finals dates and county youth game dates have had to be moved as there just have not been suitable pitches available, many, many hours of work have been taken in contacting local clubs to hold local fixtures. 

The location of many county games this season has been questioned but we are extremely grateful to the host clubs that have gone out of their way to accommodate these additional fixtures.  No decision is ever taken lightly and your support to clubs, leagues and the county would be appreciated in assisting us all to get through to the end of a very difficult year and we wish those clubs that are struggling through a very difficult fixture schedule a dry, sunny end to the season. 

Dawn Aberdeen

Chief Executive Officer

Read more at http://www.cornwallfa.com/news/2016/apr/county-cup-competitions-update#Bt7PO6EGx0ShafYh.99

Maybe clubs who want to host a county cup semi final should contact the CCFA by a given date. Combination League teams who want to stage a final or a semi (except for Porthleven :P) used to have to declare their intent then a vote be taken. If the CCFA did this, no club would be guaranteed to host a game but they would have a list of interested clubs. Just a thought.

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 14:04, Tommy Matthews said:

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN LIFE!

STOP MOANING ABOUT IT AND SET ABOUT DOING SOMETHING POSITIVE TO CHANGE THINGS.

DON'T FOREVER RELY ON YOUR SKILLS AS A KEYBOARD WARRIOR TO EFFECT CHANGE. GET UP OUT OF YOUR SOFA AND GO AND DO SOMETHING THAT MAKES THE GAME BETTER RATHER THAN MOAN AND EXPECT OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU.

PEOPLE MIGHT NOT LIKE YOUR IDEAS BUT AT LEAST YOU'D BE HAVING A GO AND DOING SOMETHING AND FOR THAT WE CAN'T CRITISISE YOU.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS HERE READING THE FORUM THAT ARE EITHER PLAYERS, COACHES, MANAGERS, OFFICIALS OF CLUBS, GROUNDSMEN, REFEREES OR MAYBE JUST SELL RAFFLE TICKETS ON A SATURDAY. EVERYBODY IS VALUABLE WHATEVER THEIR ROLE. IT'S CLEAR YOU FOLLOW THE LOCAL GAME, IF YOU DIDN'T YOU WOULDN'T SPEND HOURS READING AND COMMENTING ON THIS FORUM. WHY NOT USE ALL THIS TIME TO GOOD EFFECT AND DO SOME POSITIVE WORK FOR THE GAME.

Apparently he's toying with the idea ! 

Final date Weds 11 May, SWPL season ends with one game on Sun 8 May, majority of SWPL grounds (exc those with ressies games) could have hosted it no problem.

As the Comp is for invited clubs from the SWPL West, Combo & ECPL, it would've been nice for a smaller club or one that has made great strides to improve facilities to be given the chance to host it. Many grounds currently without lights are suitable, perhaps an earlier KO time could have assisted them. I'm sure the finalists don't really care that much where and when it will be held, but a lack of common sense from CCFA does not show them up in the best light.  

Helston Athletic Football Club accepts the CFA rational for not being considered to host this seasons Durning Lawrence Charity Cup Final on the grounds that its reserve team have a scheduled home fixture the evening prior to the final, a fixture that neither the CFA or Helston are empowered to force a rearrangement.

Helston very much hope that its much improved facilities will be considered to host a prestigious County Cup Final in the not to distant future as this would be a great reward for all the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes in getting the club to where it is today.

Paul Hendy

Helston Athletic Football Club (Chairman)