Cornwall Football Forum

Relegation from West Division???

After the Stickys 3-0 win at Wadebridge last night and looking at the foot of the table is there any chance of the Bridgers or Porthleven if either should finish bottom of the league being relegated? Two once great old South Western League clubs both with lovely grounds be a massive shame. Millbrook look to be fairly safe after their 1-0 at Dobwalls last night and Vospers have several games in hand and can bring in the likes of ex pro and Truro manager Lee Hodges etc. Could be a real danger of one of these once big clubs finishing bottom? Could the point Wadebridge got at home to Vospers a week or two ago with goals from subs Tom Marks and young Jack Rapseys spectacular 30 yarder in the 88th minute after being 0-2 down half time keep them in the league? Porthleven play their final game at Vospers on Saturday, what a six pointer!! The Bridgers go to Penzance and Millbrook next week. Even if Port don't get their point needed on Saturday they could still finish above Wadebridge if they have two heavy defeats 3 or 4 goals to nil and don't score and the 6 goal difference they have better at the moment gets turned around? Which clubs could be promoted if any to take the place of the bottom side? With Mousehole all but champions at the other end of the table it could well be an interesting last couple weeks of the season at the bottom?!?

14) MILLBROOK      28  20. -44

15) WADEBRIDGE   30  19  -51

16) PORTHLEVEN   31  19  -57

17) VOSPERS OV.   27  14  -65

How Wadebridge struggle to attract anyone decent with the ground they have I do not no. 

It's been years since I watched St Blazey at Port. I remember a crowd of well over 1000 there when Port needed to beat St Blazey to win the South Western league. Port were 3 up at half time. Back came St Blazey to draw 3v3 and go on to win the league. 1 maybe 2 coaches of St Blazey fans went down there that night plus many others. What a night of football. Great little ground. 

I think the bottom West club will be involved in a relegation play off with the the bottom club in the East (Okehampton Argyle)

Thats if two new applicants achieve a high enough finish and the grounds approved.

I am not in favour of this one off game situation as at the end of the day one club will be relieved and the the other will be sent "on your bike" from the Peninsula League.

If the the two divisions  had there full number of clubs an automatic relegation would have ocurred and I understand a new ruling at the AGM may be passed to demote four clubs from the League next season.

Probably due to the high number of clubs wishing to become members of the league although only two Cornish clubs showed interest this year.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

How Wadebridge struggle to attract anyone decent with the ground they have I do not no. 

It's been years since I watched St Blazey at Port. I remember a crowd of well over 1000 there when Port needed to beat St Blazey to win the South Western league. Port were 3 up at half time. Back came St Blazey to draw 3v3 and go on to win the league. 1 maybe 2 coaches of St Blazey fans went down there that night plus many others. What a night of football. Great little ground. 

I think Porthleven are still feeling the effects of those couple of Seasons to this day Paul, when a certain Mr.Carey was in charge down there paying huge sums of money to finish second :ninja:

Be Warned!!

Porthleven and Wadebridge have two of the finest grounds in that league IMO. Two fantastic set-ups and it's a real shame to see them struggling as i'd hate for either one to drop out of the West division. As stated, the bottom clubs from West and East (should both wish to remain in their respective leagues) will have a play off game to determine who goes down. There have been several applications for clubs into the East league but to my knowledge only a couple to the West including one team from Plymouth, Marjon's uni. They have passed ground grading for their 4g pitch which, although I'm an ardent fan of grass pitches, is quite a nice set up. They do also have a grass pitch available but this isn't their preferred choice. 

10 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

I think the bottom West club will be involved in a relegation play off with the the bottom club in the East (Okehampton Argyle)

Thats if two new applicants achieve a high enough finish and the grounds approved.

I am not in favour of this one off game situation as at the end of the day one club will be relieved and the the other will be sent "on your bike" from the Peninsula League.

If the the two divisions  had there full number of clubs an automatic relegation would have ocurred and I understand a new ruling at the AGM may be passed to demote four clubs from the League next season.

Probably due to the high number of clubs wishing to become members of the league although only two Cornish clubs showed interest this year.

Rumour has it, Okehampton are going to pull out rather having the record of being relegated on their achievement board

. They agreed to struggle on and see the season out.  

5 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Rumour has it, Okehampton are going to pull out rather having the record of being relegated on their achievement board

. They agreed to struggle on and see the season out.  

Just been told CTB that perhaps what you have suggested isn't so and that things will become clear once the fixtures are complete!

Both clubs have great facilities and fine histories. I watched a midweek game between these two teams earlier in the season and I think Wadebridge had 9 teenagers on the pitch and Port 7. Two clubs giving youth a chance and they will be decent SWL players in a season or two I'm sure. Think Penryn had this situation a few seasons ago but the players stayed loyal to a great manager and bloke in Jeweller, had coaching from the legend Bruce Rioch and are a pleasure to watch now and still a very young team getting better and better. What's the divisions limit? There's only 17 teams in it anyway, 20 in the premier league. What's wrong with an 18 team division? Is there a need to relegate any team this season? Think both these clubs have always been a credit to this league and certainly the old SWL. Good luck to both clubs and well done for giving youngsters vital experience for the future seasons.  ??

Thanks Mike, hope you're well mate. Be a shame but sounds perfectly fair, clubs work hard to gain promotion as well. Seems a bit harsh the whole season and future of the unlucky club comes down to 90 minutes though? Maybe a two legged game home and away a few days apart would be a fairer conclusion? No arguing about the venue etc again either!! Cheers Mike. ?

Should go back to the old south western league, because in the south western peninsula league its always going to be who pays the biggest wages to the players and theres only a few teams who will ever win the league  and Bodmin must be heads and shoulders above any other team in the league except possibly be St Austell its so unfair on other clubs in the league it would be lovely to see Wadebridge , Portheleven , Sticker , St Dennis , Mousehole , and Penzance  in the league and the Devon teams go back to play in Devon . Wadebridge is 1 of the nicest grounds around and the people there are lovely 

28 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

because in the south western peninsula league its always going to be who pays the biggest wages to the players and theres only a few teams who will ever win the league

Wasn't that what the SWL was pretty much too?

Out of the last 13 champions, one would probably have to go back to Launceston to say it wasn't won by a big * spender!

* although it depends what one defines as big! :)

2 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Thanks Mike, hope you're well mate. Be a shame but sounds perfectly fair, clubs work hard to gain promotion as well. Seems a bit harsh the whole season and future of the unlucky club comes down to 90 minutes though? Maybe a two legged game home and away a few days apart would be a fairer conclusion? No arguing about the venue etc again either!! Cheers Mike. ?

Not sure if I am in favour of a play off  for survival it would be quite devastating for the loser to say goodbye to the league in 90 minutes. Where as a club in the relegation spot would have  become accustomed over time to the fact of departing the division or league.

Has it happened in other football leagues?

37 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Not sure if I am in favour of a play off  for survival it would be quite devastating for the loser to say goodbye to the league in 90 minutes. Where as a club in the relegation spot would have  become accustomed over time to the fact of departing the division or league.

Has it happened in other football leagues?

You might not have to worry Mike. As I've written above " that things will become clear once the fixtures are complete!" It might be even sooner - the suggestion is to keep your eye on the SWPL website this weekend and that we will be surprised!

15 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

You might not have to worry Mike. As I've written above " that things will become clear once the fixtures are complete!" It might be even sooner - the suggestion is to keep your eye on the SWPL website this weekend and that we will be surprised!

I read that as a club may be withdrawing from the Peninsula league for next seasom

I've seen the plans for the new stadium and they're pretty impressive!!! It'll be just across the road and the facilities will be something the whole community can enjoy on a day to day basis regardless of weather etc. Hence why Wadebridge need to stay in the league!!!! Agreed it will be a shame to see the current ground go but the new one will be an even better place to play and visit I would imagine ?

On the league's forum :  Relegation from East & West Divisions:
Okehampton Argyle AFC have informed the league that they do not wish to participate in the playoff match allowed for under the league rules. They therefore will be relegated to the Devon & Exeter League which means that no team will be relegated from the West Division this season.

On 29/04/2016 at 06:47, Peroni said:

Wadebridge WAS a lovely ground as bulldozers ready to move in!!!!!!!

Such a shame!!!!!!?

Lot of hard work and FUNDING!!!  Gone!!!!!?

On 29/04/2016 at 14:48, Willow Tree said:

All that money spent on levelling the pitch and spanking new facilities for just over a decade

Perhaps the funders, Football Foundation or Sport England or whoever, might ask for a bit of a refund to spend on other clubs who might need it.  To get the funding for work on our ground, we had to commit to 25 years and fair enough!