Cornwall Football Forum

Club statement regarding Phil Lafferty's Departure At The End Of The Season

From myself and on behalf of everyone at the club I’d like to thank Phil for his tireless efforts during his tenure as manager of AFC St Austell. What Phil has done in the last two and a half years in helping bring the success he has to the club is something that will stay with everyone associated with this club for many years to come and for that alone we are truly grateful for. I’d like to wish Phil and his wife to be Tamsin all the very best for the future.

Obviously as a club we were extremely disappointed when Phil informed us of his intentions to stand down from his position as 1st team manager of AFC St Austell. But with the reasons presented I can fully appreciate why Phil needs to take this break away from the game. It’s a huge commitment for anyone to involve themselves with a football club but Phil is stepping down for the right reasons and I fully respect Phil for this.

Since Phil took charge in November 2013 his attitude and commitment towards the job was second to none and Phil knew exactly what we wanted to achieve as a club from the very start. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working alongside Phil and he leaves the club with his head held high after achieving things other managers can only dream of achieving.

Phil informed us some time ago of his intentions with Phil wanting the club to have the best opportunity in finding a suitable replacement. Something I’d like to add is ongoing but has been very positive and we hope to announce Phils successor in the near future. We, as a club want the new manager to be in place within good time to enable him to have the best opportunity in preparing for next season.

Once again I’d like to thank Phil as well as his assistants Andy Parr & Garry Penhaligon for their efforts in taking this club to a level I only dreamed of when I took on the role of chairman as well as their contribution towards the club being recognised on a national scale not just throughout the local football community.

Kind Regards

James Hutchings - Chairman

Phil and his team have done a magnificent job. The club had been turned around but Phil and his team took the club to heights that we could only dream of years ago. I would like to thank Phil for all the hard work, excellent leadership he has given to the club for the last two and a half years. He has also given me a warm welcome whenever I have travelled down to watch the lads. 

I can totally understand his wish to step down as he has a new wife and a young family that he wants to spend more time with as he should. 

Thanks for everything Phil. All the best in the future. 

Nick Hone

President AFC St Austell  

Put aside the rivalry with Bodmin, make no mistake this is a very big job in Cornish Football, & where St.Austell are in regards to squad, backing, proffesionalism & club structure you are looking at a club that will no doubt be once again be challanging for honours. I should imagine you will have a lot of Interest Mr.Hutchings!

Any early favourites?

Not a easy man to follow . The achievements and overall improvement of the whole club has been massive . The new man will hopefully have local knowledge and a few contacts a bit further afield. 

Well done to Phil and the management team , the committee and all the players . 

Me and SMokie will miss see Phil shouting from the touchline ,Andy Parr and Jason Chapman would be the perfect replacement Andy is a real football man and a good bloke as well Hope Phil enjoys his time out of the game maybe when hes getting under his wifes feet too much he will come back into Management be nice to see him come back to Newquay and sort out the mess that has been up there the last few seasons . Pity St Austell didnt win the league but as long as Bodmin got Rocky Neale in there team they are going to take some stopping . All the best for the future Smokie wishes u well as well 

I cant see Wayne Hilson being targeted as that would probably break up the existing core of the local lads there, Chapman is a good bet, Alan Carey name was touted last night after the game in the Bar by a  couple of St.Austell supporters , lots of experience & having won the league before, but his affiliation with Bodmin over the years might be to much to manage St.Austell

As a groundhopper who pops down for his holiday every year, I must confess I have met Phil on several occassions and found him a true gentleman, He is always welcoming and always open for a chat each time Ive met him. He will leave a big gap at St Austell but they are good people there and who ever steps in to his big shoes, I wish the best, so till I bump in to you again Phil, take care

Mq hopefully u been on the beer last nite n have an absolute shocker today lol

On 6 May 2016 at 07:54, teflon123 said:

Strong rumour that St Austell are going to make an approach for Wayne Quinn.

Heard yesterday that nanks was offered it???surely a step backwards???

On 5/5/2016 at 12:22, leedsunited said:

I cant see Wayne Hilson being targeted as that would probably break up the existing core of the local lads there, Chapman is a good bet, Alan Carey name was touted last night after the game in the Bar by a  couple of St.Austell supporters , lots of experience & having won the league before, but his affiliation with Bodmin over the years might be to much to manage St.Austell

Well, i might be incorrect (for a change) when i said about Alan Carey affiliation with Bodmin, as i was told today in Charlestown on good authority that he has actually applied for the Town job. So be sure to add St.Austell to the list of Parkway, Tavistock, & Godolphin in chasing us again at Bodmin next season. Whether they can catch us remains to be seen!

4 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Well, i might be incorrect (for a change) when i said about Alan Carey affiliation with Bodmin, as i was told today in Charlestown on good authority that he has actually applied for the Town job. So be sure to add St.Austell to the list of Parkway, Tavistock, & Godolphin in chasing us again at Bodmin next season. Whether they can catch us remains to be seen!

I think you'll find half your team have already committed to other clubs Leeds so.... Enjoy this season bud. Football merry go round strikes again