Cornwall Football Forum

Next season and beyond

Relatively new to the area and love my football. Knowing little about the football scene in Cornwall, i have tried to gain some knowledge about the senior clubs within the county.

Looking at the clubs in the carlsberg south west peninsula league, it seems pretty evident, Bodmin Town are the most successful club, by a mile. But in the past, the likes of Falmouth, Launceston, Liskeard, Penzance, Saltash and St Blazey , have all been very successful.  But none of those clubs have won anything in recent years.

What makes Bodmin successful, is there some secret formula?

Surely Bodmin winning more than anyone else spells stagnation of the local scene, as other teams are simply making up the numbers.

The clubs I have previously mentioned are situated within reasonable sized towns, so why are they not doing something to compete?

Yep, money, money, money, in a rich mans world.

If you throw enough money around, you will "buy" the league.

But I get the point, the league is sadly becoming boring. But I have to ask, what are other clubs doing to make a challenge on the league?

As we all know certain teams buy the league ,stagnation is occurring and I think that teams that win the league year on year who do not take 

promotion should be deducted say10/15 points at the start of the season or have the prize money withdrawn.

What is the point of the pyramid system if promotion is not taken?

Maybe clubs should publish financial figures at the end of each year,then if any club who does well or wins a trophy might have actually done it on merit !!                    Then thankfully we wouldn't have to keep listening to the same old boring garbage every time a team does well or tries to do well ..

I say, as a Falmouth Town fan.  Well done to Bodmin and St Austell for getting themselves organised and generating enough income to attract the best players.

On the subject of promotion, everyone should open their eyes and realise that it is nigh-on impossible for any club south of Exeter to progress up the pyramid without getting themselves in trouble financially unless they have a rich benefactor as the rewards are not there commercially. Also history seems to dictate locally and nationally that having a rich benefactor brings it's own problems and it is not always sustainable.

The only way a Cornish club can sustainably progress would be if their travel costs were funded by the FA as I understand happens with the RFU in Rugby.  Considering all the TV money sloshing around in the FA at the moment, I don't see why this shouldn't happen if the FA were committed to clubs taking promotion unconditionally. They could hardly punish a club for not taking promotion without taking into account that it would probably ruin the club long-term.

6 hours ago, beacon said:

Maybe clubs should publish financial figures at the end of each year,then if any club who does well or wins a trophy might have actually done it on merit !!                    Then thankfully we wouldn't have to keep listening to the same old boring garbage every time a team does well or tries to do well ..

Never done on merit always money ,boring or not  garbage or not

10 hours ago, The Town Man said:

I say, as a Falmouth Town fan.  Well done to Bodmin and St Austell for getting themselves organised and generating enough income to attract the best players.

On the subject of promotion, everyone should open their eyes and realise that it is nigh-on impossible for any club south of Exeter to progress up the pyramid without getting themselves in trouble financially unless they have a rich benefactor as the rewards are not there commercially. Also history seems to dictate locally and nationally that having a rich benefactor brings it's own problems and it is not always sustainable.

The only way a Cornish club can sustainably progress would be if their travel costs were funded by the FA as I understand happens with the RFU in Rugby.  Considering all the TV money sloshing around in the FA at the moment, I don't see why this shouldn't happen if the FA were committed to clubs taking promotion unconditionally. They could hardly punish a club for not taking promotion without taking into account that it would probably ruin the club long-term.

Falmouth Town are  possibly the best example of a club under achieving.  Past success, what looks like it has been a nice ground in the past and a population of around 30,000.  Have visited the ground and it was me and one man with his dog.  Why?

Hi Scousemouse. 

Unfortunately a sustained lack of success in recent times has disenfranchised the Falmouth fans who have been brought up on a diet of regular league and cup wins and still unparrelelled national cup success (Still the only Cornish club to get to the FA Cup 1st round proper - That one's for the Truro fans!)

With regards the pitch, it may be that previous committees have focused on on-the field success at the expense of ground maintenance.  Bickland Park is a sad sight these days but in defence of the current committee, the club is on the verge of selling the ground so further major investment now would not be sensible.

Falmouth Town at least own their own ground and clubhouse which is doing very well at present. The club are launching a new U-16 team next season to run alongside their very successful current U-14 side and ladies team and three men's teams. They are hoping to run an U-9s and U-10s next season as well and with Paul Murray the chairman of the youth section I believe the club is turning around. Football in Cornwall is cyclic as we all know. Not so long ago St Blazey were invincible and St Austell broke. Look how things have changed and will change again. Nothing good or bad is forever and Falmouth will have their day again if history repeats itself. 

• 2 weeks later...

In other words, clubs are just going to sit back and allow Bodmin Town and St Austell to command the league. The remaining clubs will sit in their committee rooms covered in cobwebs and dust and do nothing to challenge!! So this is what the football scene is like in Cornwall, pretty sad.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:07, Tommy Matthews said:

Falmouth Town at least own their own ground and clubhouse which is doing very well at present. The club are launching a new U-16 team next season to run alongside their very successful current U-14 side and ladies team and three men's teams. They are hoping to run an U-9s and U-10s next season as well and with Paul Murray the chairman of the youth section I believe the club is turning around. Football in Cornwall is cyclic as we all know. Not so long ago St Blazey were invincible and St Austell broke. Look how things have changed and will change again. Nothing good or bad is forever and Falmouth will have their day again if history repeats itself. 

Well Tommy, I think you'll find the bank owns the ground now, selling is a way of regaining ownership on the new ground - without the debt.

New ground, but clubhouse staying where it is - is the new rumour.

Problems with the new site have caused the delay I'm told.

On 5/12/2016 at 07:44, Bazzer said:

As we all know certain teams buy the league ,stagnation is occurring and I think that teams that win the league year on year who do not take 

promotion should be deducted say10/15 points at the start of the season or have the prize money withdrawn.

What is the point of the pyramid system if promotion is not taken?

Some clubs also spend a fortune Bazzer & end up with no trophies!! Or some even spend a fortune to have to stay up! :yahoo:

13 hours ago, scousemouse said:

In other words, clubs are just going to sit back and allow Bodmin Town and St Austell to command the league. The remaining clubs will sit in their committee rooms covered in cobwebs and dust and do nothing to challenge!! So this is what the football scene is like in Cornwall, pretty sad.

No choice scousemouse the 2 clubs mentioned spend vast amounts of money on staying where they are, so until either their cash source dries up or they decide to take promotion (ha ha) nothing will change.The players arent there for the love of the club but for the money that's the bottom line.Keeps cornish football in the doldrums unfortunately.

Surely all clubs are running at a loss on the playing budget in comparison to what you win financially for winning the league? E.G £3000 for winning the league over a 40 game season, to not be out of pocket or get any financial reward you would need to pay a maxium of £75 a game per squad!? 3000 ( prize money) ÷ 40 (games) = 75!!

So who pays less than £75 per squad...

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Surely all clubs are running at a loss on the playing budget in comparison to what you win financially for winning the league? E.G £3000 for winning the league over a 40 game season, to not be out of pocket or get any financial reward you would need to pay a maxium of £75 a game per squad!? 3000 ( prize money) ÷ 40 (games) = 75!!

Considering the amount of money the league collects  from clubs, the prizes are disgusting !

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

You should know Leedsunited!

1 hour ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Is scousemouse , beaker or pugwash. Typical wind up merchant lol

No, I am neither beaker or pugwash.

I am also not a wind up merchant either.

My post is simply an observation of the present state of play in Cornish football. If other clubs wish to sit back and watch Bodmin/St Austell win the silverware, that is their choice.

Is there any logical reason why Bodmin don't take promotion? As looking at their ground and the alleged funds they spend in players wages, surely they could afford promotion.

20 hours ago, scousemouse said:

You make it sound so easy for clubs to get off their backsides and challenge for the title-Most if not all lesser clubs are trying to improve within their means with a limited voluntary workforce.

3 hours ago, scousemouse said:

My post is simply an observation of the present state of play in Cornish football. If other clubs wish to sit back and watch Bodmin/St Austell win the silverware, that is their choice.

Is there any logical reason why Bodmin don't take promotion? As looking at their ground and the alleged funds they spend in players wages, surely they could afford promotion.

No reason other than lack of interest

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

You make it sound so easy for clubs to get off their backsides and challenge for the title-Most if not all lesser clubs are trying to improve within their means with a limited voluntary workforce.

I have to ask, do clubs ever make it public via this site or the press that they would welcome locals to become more in involved with their local football club?

I have no idea if club attendances have increased, decreased or remained the same, but it does seem a lot of clubs play in front of fewer than 100 people. This would probably say, the locals are simply not interested.

In Step 5 Western League Premier most clubs are located around the Bristol and Bath area upto 150 miles away, nearest clubs are now Buckland near Newton Abbot and Willand near Tiverton which again are some distance. These factors would cause problems for part time players getting time off work for midweek away matches, greatly increased transport costs, a lack of fixtures versus local teams. Consequently the whole opportunity becomes uneconomic unless the structure of Steps 5 and 6 was reorganised geographically with a Cornwall/Devon Step 5 League and that is only if there were enough clubs to form one 

1 hour ago, midlandlilywhite said:

In Step 5 Western League Premier most clubs are located around the Bristol and Bath area upto 150 miles away, nearest clubs are now Buckland near Newton Abbot and Willand near Tiverton which again are some distance. These factors would cause problems for part time players getting time off work for midweek away matches, greatly increased transport costs, a lack of fixtures versus local teams. Consequently the whole opportunity becomes uneconomic unless the structure of Steps 5 and 6 was reorganised geographically with a Cirnwall/Devon Step 5 League and that is only if there were enough clubs to form one 

Looking at  the Western League titles in the past, Falmouth, Liskeard and Saltash all competed and did well. In fact Falmouth looked to have had some success in the past. So history proves it can be done.

4 hours ago, scousemouse said:

Looking at their ground (!) council pitch buddy, they don't even own it. No ambition at all.

As for crowd sizes, all down, and will continue to fall as the older generation pass on.

The younger ones have been brought up on televised football, no interest in local football at all.

say 500 clubs in Cornwall today....350 in ten years time.

2 hours ago, midlandlilywhite said:

In Step 5 Western League Premier most clubs are located around the Bristol and Bath area upto 150 miles away, nearest clubs are now Buckland near Newton Abbot and Willand near Tiverton which again are some distance. These factors would cause problems for part time players getting time off work for midweek away matches, greatly increased transport costs, a lack of fixtures versus local teams. Consequently the whole opportunity becomes uneconomic unless the structure of Steps 5 and 6 was reorganised geographically with a Cirnwall/Devon Step 5 League and that is only if there were enough clubs to form one 

Could you please tell me why women's football , darts teams men and women, hockey teams , bowls teams , etc all travel the length and breadth of the country from down here but for some reason men's football teams can't even travel the length of the south west  just excuse after excuse.  Destroying cornish football.

Good point, cannot disagree with you. I am just stating the reasons as to why certain clubs are reluctant to take promotion at the moment. I would love to see some of our clubs competing at Step 5 level as they are good enough. Truro City had a rich benefactor behind their rise up the Leagues, as they have again now to maintain their Step 2 level. 

1 hour ago, hoppit said:

Could you please tell me why women's football , darts teams men and women, hockey teams , bowls teams , etc all travel the length and breadth of the country from down here but for some reason men's football teams can't even travel the length of the south west  just excuse after excuse.  Destroying cornish football.

Because their leagues are much smaller - less cost.

The clubs could vote for the prize money to be kept back from promoted clubs that decide not to take it.
Don't think the league can itself, but because it is administering it on behalf of the clubs, should be possible that way!
However would any club be brave enough to propose such a suggestion?

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

say 500 clubs in Cornwall today....350 in ten years time.

500 clubs ?  wouldn't that be something ?

I'm guessing more like 150 clubs with perhaps 200 (adult male) teams  -  I bet Willow has counted them and will enlighten us.

That's probably still pretty good compared to cricket & rugby - anyone know the stats ?

12 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Because their leagues are much smaller - less cost.

Can't comment on the other sports but cornish darts teams pay their own way and travel to the likes of Durham Yorkshire etc purely for the love of the sport, cornish football teams could travel to the furthest away fixture twice a season and not incur the expenses that darts does, Somerset is regarded as a local Derby. Just exc uses where football is concerned.

5 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

I'm guessing more like 150 clubs with perhaps 200 (adult male) teams  -  I bet Willow has counted them and will enlighten us.

That's probably still pretty good compared to cricket & rugby - anyone know the stats ?

I  reckon in 10 years time, there will only be about 10 premier clubs in the swpl. With falling gates and overwhelming expense of contributing to the swpl and the FA there will be no point!. Both the swpl and the FA could help but I am sure they will not1

22 minutes ago, hoppit said:

Can't comment on the other sports but cornish darts teams pay their own way and travel to the likes of Durham Yorkshire etc purely for the love of the sport, cornish football teams could travel to the furthest away fixture twice a season and not incur the expenses that darts does, Somerset is regarded as a local Derby. Just exc uses where football is concerned.

The SWPL is no different from any other and annual subscriptions from clubs has to cover the normal running/admin costs over a 12 month period. Prize money is covered from various sponsorships which the league has managed to attract. Can't see what your gripe is Big Al?

Edited by John Mead
Correction

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

The SWPL is no different from any other and annual subscriptions from clubs has to cover the normal running/admin costs over a 12 month period. Prize money is covered from various sponsorships which the league has managed to attract. Can't see what your gripe is Big Al?

Are the swpl accounts ever made public or is it a close guarded secret ?

13 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

The 500 is figurative, not actual, for illustration only. The number of teams will fall as the interest wanes.

You can get a dart team in a single vehicle.

On 5/28/2016 at 23:21, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well Tommy, I think you'll find the bank owns the ground now, selling is a way of regaining ownership on the new ground - without the debt.

New ground, but clubhouse staying where it is - is the new rumour.

Problems with the new site have caused the delay I'm told.

It would pay some people to get their facts right before spouting utter rubbish. The bank does NOT own the ground as it is not being used as collateral. Anyway, at least you can get draught beer in the clubhouse and not have to make do with cans obtained from Asda like some other establishments.

1 hour ago, Quiet Man said:

It would pay some people to get their facts right before spouting utter rubbish. The bank does NOT own the ground as it is not being used as collateral. Anyway, at least you can get draught beer in the clubhouse and not have to make do with cans obtained from Asda like some other establishments.

Miaow, miaow, miaow. LMFAO

Funny old world, when you have a mortgage, like a car loan, you don't own it until you pay the debt.

So whether the mortgage is against the ground, or the clubhouse, you don't own it.

My money is it's on the ground - or so the committee tell me.

14 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Miaow, miaow, miaow. LMFAO

Funny old world, when you have a mortgage, like a car loan, you don't own it until you pay the debt.

So whether the mortgage is against the ground, or the clubhouse, you don't own it.

My money is it's on the ground - or so the committee tell me.

People in glass houses

On 30/05/2016 at 07:51, Paul Collings said:

I don't know about clubs but as for teams that started the season:

SWP Premier: 12 Cornish teams

SWPL 1 West: 13 Cornish teams

Combo: 20 teams

EC Premier: 11 Cornish teams

EC Division 1: 14 Cornish teams

Trelawny Premier: 14 teams

Trelawny 1: 14 teams

Trelawny 2: 12 teams

Trelawny 3: 14 teams

Trelawny 4: 13 teams

Trelawny 5: 12 teams

Duchy Premier: 13 teams

Duchy 1: 12 teams

Duchy 2: 11 Cornish teams 

Duchy 3: 13 teams

Duchy 4: 12 teams

Duchy 5: 11 teams

That comes to 221 Saturday teams and 222 including Truro City. That excludes Youth, Ladies and Sunday football. Of that number 2 have withdrawn from the Trelawny League and one has withdrawn from the Duchy League so 219. I forgot Stratton United who play in a Devon League so that's 220 adult mens teams that completed the season. I can't be bothered to work out the number of clubs (Newquay = 1 club with 4 teams etc)