Cornwall Football Forum

Walter Parsons cupfinal Godolphin vs Bodmin

I would like to wish the G all the best tmmrw in there final at Launceston vs the Champions Bodmin ,myself and Smokie wont be there got my son coming down from London so will be down the zoo instead but i will be listening on my radio listening to the commentary . I predict if Kevin Miller is in goal a 4-1 to Bodmin and every teams Nemesis Rocky Neale with yet another hat trick if Miller is not playing i think it will be a draw aet and Bodmin winning on pens . Well done to the G a fantastic season see u in pre season friendlies hope there some good 1s like Truro or even Plymouth Argyle 

The Walter C Parson was won by Bodmin Town who scored three goals in extra time to win 4-1.

G played well and could have won it had their 85th minute penalty been scored - great save by Corderoy in the Bodmin goal. I would have to place blame on Shaun Semmens for three of Bodmin's goals and he was lucky to stay on after bringing down a Bodmin player on the touchline at what must have been 30-35 yards from goal.

Darren Gilbert and "Leeds United" were at it again after the referee gave a decision against them. Shout at the referee might seem ok but why call him a f*****g disgrace? I'd like to see them have a go. Other players were guilty of bad language but credit to Tania who kept Shaun from swearing too much.

On the day I think the score was slightly flattering but that's what happens when chances are taken.

Bodmin were on top for the first 25 minutes and deserved their lead even though the goal was a soft one after poor communication between Dilley and Semmens. For the rest of the first half and all of the second, G were dominant and could well have taken the lead from a couple of chances and indeed should have put the final to bed but Fallens penalty was weak and well saved by the keeper, who was fortunate not to be sent off for his foul.

The same could be said for Semmens after his rash challenge and subsequent behaviour. Despite a couple of good saves, punches and catches from crosses, plus a few telling kicks, the keeper didn't have his best day and was at fault again late on for two extra time goals.

Rocky Neale's header from an Allen cross was well created and taken but the late goals flattered Bodmin who weren't fluent in the main.

It's perhaps inappropriate to criticise the referee but fans of both teams agreed that he got several key decisions wrong. That said, the appalling and foul criticism of nearly every decision against them by Bodmin's overpopulated technical area was totally unnecessary and reflects very poorly on the club

Wasnt at the match today had a day at Newquay zoo with my son and Grandson but was keeping a eye on the match and when G had ther pen i thought that was it they had won it but Bodmin goalie had different idea and saved it . Unusual for Sean to have a bad day i have seen him play most weeks and some of the saves hes made have been outstanding and he has saved the G time and time again and he is so dedicated he lives and works in Bristol and turns out every week for the G unless hes suspended of course his mouth does let him down but thats just him still 1 hell of a goalie . Well done to Bodmin for winning yet another trophy but next season think it will be different when the  Plymouth Argyle team join the league fancy them and Parkway for the league . Well done G great season 

I hate to disagree with you 100% Cornish but I've seen Shaun have a few 'mares although they don't usually constitute a 'bad day' but today was a bad day. Incidentally I wonder if any goalkeeper has been booked as many times as him? :SM_carton_y:

10 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

I hate to disagree with you 100% Cornish but I've seen Shaun have a few 'mares although they don't usually constitute a 'bad day' but today was a bad day. Incidentally I wonder if any goalkeeper has been booked as many times as him? :SM_carton_y:

Yesterday, three excellent saves and three goals that came directly from his errors.  It is a problem for the G as Shaun is there number one but now that he not really available for midweek games you are not going to get the best quality replacement/ number two, when they are not needed on a Saturday !!

11 hours ago, Cornish Brazillian said:

It's perhaps inappropriate to criticise the referee but fans of both teams agreed that he got several key decisions wrong. That said, the appalling and foul criticism of nearly every decision against them by Bodmin's overpopulated technical area was totally unnecessary and reflects very poorly on the club

I know it is a petty point, but the linesman did miss the ball going out on one occasion, Bodmin had 4 none playing staff nearly constantly in the technical area (at last 2 coaching at the same time) and  3 players sitting on the wall outside the dugout making 7...4 th official was not bothered...so end of that then !!!

Well done to Godolphin on making it a good contested final, & at some stages in normal time made it very nerve racking indeed! But in the end all the Bodmin Knockers will be again upset to see we have done it again, a clean sweep, the best team in the league by a country mile. Not arrogance, just facts, the trophy cabinet does not lie, & yesterday we did it without Big Kev in the  sticks.Going to carry on the celebrations today with a couple of melon & passion fruit vodkas 

8 minutes ago, Wellpassedit said:

Yesterday, three excellent saves and three goals that came directly from his errors.  It is a problem for the G as Shaun is there number one but now that he not really available for midweek games you are not going to get the best quality replacement/ number two, when they are not needed on a Saturday !!

I know it is a petty point, but the linesman did miss the ball going out on one occasion, Bodmin had 4 none playing staff nearly constantly in the technical area (at last 2 coaching at the same time) and  3 players sitting on the wall outside the dugout making 7...4 th official was not bothered...so end of that then !!!

Well that is down to the official to move everyone in the dug out?

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Well done to Godolphin on making it a good contested final, & at some stages in normal time made it very nerve racking indeed! But in the end all the Bodmin Knockers will be again upset to see we have done it again, a clean sweep, the best team in the league by a country mile. Not arrogance, just facts, the trophy cabinet does not lie, & yesterday we did it without Big Kev in the  sticks.Going to carry on the celebrations today with a couple of melon & passion fruit vodkas 

Well that is down to the official to move everyone in the dug out?

Take promotion and see how you get on. 

3 hours ago, pebbles88 said:

Leedsunited I have not been on this forum that long but one thing I have already realised is that u r a moron of the highest level,you were not the best team in the league by a country mile u simply had the best player in the league by a country mile. if rocky had played for parkway tavy or st austell they would have won the league the rest of the bodmin squad is no better than any of the other top five teams. good luck next year u r going to need it☺

pebbles88, how right you are. Andrew Neal in a fine little footballer and should be playing at a higher level.

From what I have heard, both Bodmin and St Austell have player budgets that are superior to all the rest of the clubs in the league, so shouldn't they be winning.

But what are other clubs doing to compete against Bodmin and St Austell?

My considered opinion is that Bodmin Town don't have "the balls", pardon the pun, to compete at a higher level. They just wish to "buy" the league.

what are you guys on about......... Bodmin only win........ He's their main man, yes.. Real Madrid only win because of Renaldo.... Barcelona because of Messi...their main men... Those players want to play for good teams..... Does Leeds go over the top with his praise...... some times i guess... would other teams improve with Neal in their side, yes would they win the league, possibly but not guaranteed......... so stop this crying, improve your fund raising and improve your team, be a little gracious to a fine teams  that have got their house in order... there are several by the way........ not just Bodmin and St Austell Excuse my grammar it's crap. 

It still takes hard work by the team,coaches and the various people who work hard for there team behind the scenes to be triple winners some of the comments you read here are obviously written by uneducated local village strays who maybe need to get on there bikes and get out a bit more ..

Well done to all the players at the G for pushing the Bodmin ""superstars" every inch of the way in the final, a fantastic effort in my opinion. Especialy when you take in to consideration they were without Olli Pinnel (C/B), Jamie Lowry C/M) , and Kane Trevaskis (C/F), 3 massive players this season.  A good penalty save on 85 mins at one apiece saved Bodmin's day, thats how close it was.

Four cup finals in the last 2 seasons without spending one single penny on players "expenses" is a fantastic effort. Those lads recieve nothing for cup apeearances, they play for THE CLUB !

I wonder how much Bodmin splashed out to win that cup, not just on cup final day but for previous rounds too. Good luck to Bodmin if they can sustain paying players massive money, but I will take the G way every day of the week.

17 minutes ago, derek martyn said:

Well done to all the players at the G for pushing the Bodmin ""superstars" every inch of the way in the final, a fantastic effort in my opinion. Especialy when you take in to consideration they were without Olli Pinnel (C/B), Jamie Lowry C/M) , and Kane Trevaskis (C/F), 3 massive players this season.  A good penalty save on 85 mins at one apiece saved Bodmin's day, thats how close it was.

Four cup finals in the last 2 seasons without spending one single penny on players "expenses" is a fantastic effort. Those lads recieve nothing for cup apeearances, they play for THE CLUB !

I wonder how much Bodmin splashed out to win that cup, not just on cup final day but for previous rounds too. Good luck to Bodmin if they can sustain paying players massive money, but I will take the G way every day of the week.

Well said Derek.

2 hours ago, Tribute said:

People moan about what teams are paying out but surely if you have the highest attendance figures you have a bigger income and can afford to spend more 

Very little income comes from Bodmins average home gate!

3 hours ago, beacon said:

It still takes hard work by the team,coaches and the various people who work hard for there team behind the scenes to be triple winners some of the comments you read here are obviously written by uneducated local village strays who maybe need to get on there bikes and get out a bit more ..

Leeds supports Bodmin, but could well of strayed from a nearby village.........

17 hours ago, derek martyn said:

Well said Derek! Another great season for the G and to get so close to beating Bodmin on the day was a great effort without the spine of the team as you mentioned.

I take it from your remarks that G pay for league matches and wonder why they draw the distinction between these and cup ties?

I for one am extremely proud of all the boys at Godolphin Atlantic as well as our committee members and supporters the best as far as I'm concerned Shaun didn't have his best game but still immensely proud like all the boys he is committed to the club and has only missed two midweek games and travels at his own expense from Bristol onwards and upwards for start of the season can't wait?⚽️

What Godolphin have achieved on and off the field in the last 10 years or so is one of the stories of Cornish football. Think everyone at that club deserves congratulations for their obvious hard work and commitment to the cause. They are an inspiration to any ambitious club wishing to better themselves. Thought they were the better side 2nd half and Cords penalty save was the turning point and 4-1 was very flattering on the day. Bodmin have always been a big club for all the years I can remember which is quite a bit!! Apart from a barren few years they are always there or there abouts come May and never an easy game for you home or away. To win a treble at any level of football deserves praise, you can only beat what's in front of you over 45/50 odd games and to stop a talented St.Austell team from winning a trophy takes a bit of doing. So credit to both clubs for very different reasons. Both a credit to Cornish football. ?⚽️