Cornwall Football Forum

Band banned in football pitch row

An Army band has been banned from parading at a football club's ground in a row over a newly seeded pitch.

The Band and Bugles of The Rifles has been told the marching would mess up the turf at Bodmin Town FC in Cornwall.

The mayor of Bodmin, Lance Kennedy, described it as an "unfortunate decision".

The town council, which leases the ground to the club, said it had tried at several meetings to persuade the club to change its mind.

Click here for live updates on this story

Bodmin Town FCImage copyrightBODMIN TOWN FC Image captionThe football club is concerned about the effect of marching on the newly re-seeded pitch

The Winchester-based band had been due to hold a Freedom Parade and perform the Sound The Retreat on Priory Park on 24 June.

But the parade has been cancelled and the band will give a concert at St Petroc's Church instead.

Darren Gilbert, manager of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League side, said: "The council thinks it can use the ground when they feel like it and it's not OK.

"We are concerned that it could ruin the pitch."

Mr Kennedy said the council had looked at other venues, but none was suitable.

"Bodmin is a former garrison town, the base for the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry, so it is disappointing not to be able to hold an Army parade here," he said.

"It's a pity to deprive the public of an impressive spectacle in the county town."

No-one from the band was available for immediate comment.

This seems absolutely ridiculous, I mean how much damage a few soldiers can cause. We should be proud of our Armed Forces and an opportunity to show case them in Bodmin is being denied. This really is such a same. What would be the difference in damage caused by a band playing for half an hour over 2 teams playing football in a pre-season game for 90 minutes? It’s not like the soldiers would be doing sliding tackles etc. Shame on you Bodmin Town !! :SM_carton:

Typical of the town council in Bodmin !! Quite easily close the town centre and have parade through the town which would probably attract more people too !! Also think you'll find it was a club decision not Mr.Gilbert's only .. 

12 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Darren Gilbert, manager of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League side, said: "The council thinks it can use the ground when they feel like it and it's not OK.

Quoted line from original thread ..either way bloody poor show from Bodmin

1 hour ago, pebbles88 said:

Sorry but like most of my posts there is a hint of sarcasm in them and never meant to be taken that seriously, I will try and behave better in future although I have just read on the Internet that Glynn hobbs has changed his surname to Bourne

Not sure its sarcasm.

I think Darren is right on this one.  We are subject to major changes in the weather and to have a marching band on the pitch is a huge no, no.  What I don't understand is why the town do not have this very worthwhile event in the centre of town so that everyone can see.

No doubt BTFC will give their official response to this 'story' at some point, but as a local with an ear to the ground, my understanding is that (1) yes the pitch has been reseeded, (2) 2nd pitch was offered but declined by organisers & (3) originally a date later in summer was agreed but date moved forward, hence clashing with pitch works. 

Lesson is ....... newspapers only print the part of a story that gets the headlines. Whether it includes the whole facts or not is irrelevant to a lazy journalist! 

16 hours ago, pebbles88 said:

All I will say turnip ted is don't take life to seriously it's way to short, I am quite willing to take the p out of anyone but I am also quite happy to be on the end of anything that comes in my direction:)

I bet you are happy to be on the end of anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo: