Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v Newquay SWPL (P) (Sat.3pm)

Falmouth open their 10th.season in the SWP.Premier Div. with a visit from Newquay at Bickland Park 3pm (Saturday)

Three new signings are in the squad -Tom and Jordan Annear from Newquay and previously Porthleven. (With father Dennis now in a coaching role at Famouth)--also Ben Williams a defender from AFC St.Austell who has had previous experience at Conference South level with Truro in 2012/13 making 41 Apps and scoring twice-Ben has also represented Cornwall at U16 and U18 and has represented Hayle,Penryn and Penzance in the past.

For Newquay we should see the Premier debut of Jack Rapsey son of Rappo who hopefully will also be at Bickland Park for reminicing his days at Falmouth.

Did you know-Newquay were the first visitors to Bickland Park in the South Western League in1957 and the last to visit in the SWL in 2007.

In the 100 League (SWL + SWPL) games played between the two clubs Falmouth have won 49 and Newquay 27 with 24 drawn-Can Falmouth make it 50 today.

In the 148 SWPL Premier games played by Newquay they have won 49-Will Newquay make it 50 this afternoon.

Thanks Mike, had a lovely day at Bickland yesterday thanks mate. Great to catch up with everybody, remembering the old FA Vase and cup trips away and chuffed to see the boy score a nice goal on the hallowed turf!! Hard to believe the ground could be gone soon!?! I'll keep doing the lottery mate!!! Thought it looked lovely with the sun beating down on those famous old stands yesterday. Had the bro in law down from Scotland who goes Celtic every week and he even said it's a lovely proper old football ground. ?⚽️  Highlight for me was spending the day with my old Town team mate Tommy Matthews. A great laugh as always, and Tom talks so much sense regarding football, just when you think you know it all Tom will come up with something you ain't even thought about!! ??. Still as fit as when he was playing as well!!! Wish I could say that!!! That 6 stone just crept up on me over the years!! ?  Not quite sure how it ended up 5-1 on the day after being 0-0 at half time but Westy is doing a great job and got a really good squad there. Still a top player so great for him to have the experience of Gary and Den on the sidelines and carry on playing for his home town team. A famous man once said all roads lead to Bickland Park!!! ?

Bickland park going soon (!) don't think so - nowhere to go with all the problems up at the old hospital site.

Anyway, not a great game, but Falmouth deserved winners, much more dangerous around the Newquay goal. decent crosses that eventually paid dividends.

Newquay look an awfully young team to be at that level, going to struggle when it gets heavy, and against the better teams.

Bickland looking the best I've seen it for years, a lot of effort gone in there this close season, with the pitch probably the best I've ever seen it, ball rolled around without a bobble in sight, and that's a first (!)

Only downer for me was missing out on a healthy 50/50 draw by one number - amused some people, but hey (!) next time maybe.

16 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Bickland park going soon (!) don't think so - nowhere to go with all the problems up at the old hospital site.

Anyway, not a great game, but Falmouth deserved winners, much more dangerous around the Newquay goal. decent crosses that eventually paid dividends.

Newquay look an awfully young team to be at that level, going to struggle when it gets heavy, and against the better teams.

Bickland looking the best I've seen it for years, a lot of effort gone in there this close season, with the pitch probably the best I've ever seen it, ball rolled around without a bobble in sight, and that's a first (!)

Only downer for me was missing out on a healthy 50/50 draw by one number - amused some people, but hey (!) next time maybe.

A good start to the season. The young lad Ollie Walker shows good talent and should be given more game time.

21 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

He'll have to put a couple of stone on first.

Why is that - at least give him 30 mins play ! A couple of the others in the team looked as though they were still on their European jaunt and they looks as though they had too many stone on !