Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish U18s match v Devon U18s

Superb 2nd half display from Cornwall who totally outplayed Devon with ten men!! After a tense opening, a superb 25 yard top corner strike from Jack Webber opened the scoring and even though keeper Luke Gwillam was unluckily sent off for a handball just outside his area five minutes before half time it didn't affect the boys in the slightest as defender Joel Allen is a great keeper in his own right anyway and in fact they raised their game even more and it probably affected Devon more than Cornwall!! Congrats to Glynn and his team who got the tactics spot on throughout the game and as Laffs said afterwards it's always brilliant watching a Cornwall win!! Especially over Devon!! Well reffed as always by George Pattison and the playing surface at Helston was an absolute credit to the club. Agree with Ashton this group of players are very talented lads with plenty of options all over the squad. 

Cornwall Team

1. Luke Gwillam  (Liskeard)

2. Gabe Hamshaw (St.Austell)

3. James Heywood (Camelford)

4. Joel Allen (Porthleven)

5. Charlie Hambley (Camelford)  Capt

6. Tyler Oliver (Newquay)

7. Olly Walker (Falmouth)

8. Ed Harrison (Camelford)

9. Matt Buchan (Helston) 

10. Jack Webber (Porthleven)

11. Cameron Turner (Newquay)

12. Archie Condie (West Cornwall)

14. Tiago Soares (Godolphin)

15. Josh Penrose (Camelford)

16. Jack Rapsey (Newquay)

17. Max Gilbert (Bodmin)

Yesterday saw a very dominant Cornwall, who gave Devon no chance. It has to be said Devon were not great and Cornwall will surely face sterner games in the future but for a team that has not played or trained together it was an excellent start. Even when down to 10 men after 40 minutes Cornwall were still far (far) better.

The lad Gwilliam in goal looked really solid and may feel slight aggrieved by the sending off, but he had little choice - does the video show a Cornish player had got behind him so maybe not a clear goal scoring opportunity and red card appeal?

The two centre backs of Hambly and Allen were solid as a rock, their communication for long balls over the top (all Plymouth did) will improve the more they play together, but they swept up everything Devon had.The lad Condie covered well when Allen went in goal and was powerful. Haywood at Leftback was extremely solid throughout..

The midfield of Oliver and Harrison was a great pairing, good balance of strength and creativity and they gave Devon nothing but scraps. Oliver was my 'man of match' - although all that played deserved great credit. When playing with Penrose, who's speed and agility created an immediate impact, the three set up the third goal and probably best 'team' goal of the day. 

Up front Buchan was everywhere and he put in a lot of yards, a lot of the time on his own. His header set up the second goal (for Walker) and his determination and power made the pull back for the fourth goal (by Penrose). I can see Buchan and Adkins / Rapsey being a very strong strike force against more physical teams - like West Riding last season.

The goal by Webber to open proceedings was an absolute cracker and any player who can do that will always be in a squad, with Glynn liking a diamond midfield, he was for me better as a 10 than a point of the midfield playing behind two strikers, however I have not seen him at Porthleven so don't know his natural position.

The other lads that played, for me, all had very good parts during the game and with more playing together can only improve. 

Looking forward to the Somerset game now on 15 October.