Cornwall Football Forum

Carlsberg bad boys latest

1 hour ago, Rhod13 said:

Don't know the article writer in the paper, but he is not really in touch with football and discipline offences. To answer the question, its not a fair reflection of clubs behaviour. The points table is worthless when it comes to 'worst behaved team', as its nothing to do with that. Its just an accumulation of offences committed on the field of play.

What the writer ought to understand, is that a red card can be issued for hand ball in the area and the keeper handling outside the area, last man tackle etc. All these carry the three points, the same as offensive language to a match official and assault on an official. So without the individual offences highlighted, not worth the paper written on. A team could be looking the best at the top of the table, with only three points but may have filled in the referee, whilst lower down committed the ones I mention above and have nine points.

Don't compare the premier with the other divisions, they will always be less as they use club linesmen, so referee's don't have the back up of appointed officials.

I have asked numerous times for a league table of referee's card showing - but oh dear, probably would be embarrassing for some. Although their defence could be exactly what I have written above.:SM_carton:

33 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

I have asked numerous times for a league table of referee's card showing - but oh dear, probably would be embarrassing for some. Although their defence could be exactly what I have written above.:SM_carton:

it would be interesting to see this 100%......not just in the SWPL but right the way down through the leagues.

17 hours ago, bighairydave said:

What would that achieve though!?

Probably nothing if i'm being honest, but looking at the Trelawny League page on full time, you can not see a disciplinary table for any team.  Plus its interesting to see who may or may not be "card happy" (referee wise)

18 hours ago, Home Waters said:

What the writer ought to understand, is that a red card can be issued for hand ball in the area and the keeper handling outside the area, last man tackle etc. All these carry the three points, the same as offensive language to a match official and assault on an official. So without the individual offences highlighted, not worth the paper written on. A team could be looking the best at the top of the table, with only three points but may have filled in the referee, whilst lower down committed the ones I mention above and have nine points.

As Home Waters says, there is not a lot of value to a disciplinary table because you never know the details of the offence, but i'm sure it would make interesting reading none the less.

22 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Added to this is the fact that some referees will book a player for eg, for dissent, whilst another does not. That doesn't mean that the ref who booked for dissent was wrong, it means that there is always this discretionary power that a referee must have. We don't always know from the sidelines what has been said, on or off the ball, because we are further from the event than the ref is. 

Some referees will book for what appears a minor foul, whilst another will let it go and simply award the free kick. So, the number of cards issued right across the leagues could be deceiving. So in my opinion, a table of cards issued would be misleading and pointless. 

I do see your point and agree in the majority.  I'm just a fan of hard stats, the nitty gritty facts and figures.

I'm not going to referee bash.........all referee where invite to the respect meeting prior to the season starting along with all teams, in an attempt for everybody to be singing off the same hymn sheet.  

Consistency is what, i's sure everybody is after!   It will come.......but patience is a virtue.