Cornwall Football Forum

Pre-match Warm-ups

As the wetter part of the season approaches, I thought it would be a good idea to remind Clubs, Players, Coaches, Managers & Match Officials about FA Standardised Rule 24.11 Pitch Protection - it seems some are unaware of it's existence. As many groundsmen will testify, the warm-up can cause more damage to a pitch than 90 minutes of football!

24.11         Pitch Protection

In order to protect any Pitch, unless otherwise mutually agreed between both participating Clubs, the following procedures shall be adopted by Players and Officials in the periods immediately before and after a Match and at half time:

(a) the Pitch shall only be used for warming up or warming down by Players named on the Team Sheet;

(b) pre-match warming up by either team shall not commence until 45 minutes before the kick-off time at the earliest, shall not last for more than 30 minutes, and shall end no later than 10 minutes before the kick-off time;             

(c) if portable goals are provided they shall be used for all goalkeeping drills other than crossing practice;

(d) the goalmouth area shall be used by goalkeepers only if portable goals are not provided or for crossing practice and then only for not more than 20 minutes;

(e) for the purposes of warming up and warming down each team shall use only part of the Pitch between the edge of a penalty area and the half way line or as otherwise directed by the groundsman;

(f) all speed and stamina work shall be undertaken off the Pitch parallel to the touchline opposite the side to be patrolled by the assistant referee or, in the absence of sufficient space, in that part of the Pitch described in paragraph (e) above or as otherwise directed by the groundsman;

(g) Players using the Pitch at half time as aforesaid shall give due consideration to any other activity or entertainment taking place on the Pitch at the same time;

(h) the Home Club may water the Pitch at half time provided it gives reasonable notice to the referee and the other Club that it intends to do so and that any such watering is carried out evenly over the entire length and width of the Pitch; and

(i) any warming down after the conclusion of the Match shall last for no longer than 15 minutes and for that purpose neither penalty area shall be used.

I guess our traditional warm up of hurrying out 3 minutes before kick off and hammering the ball at the keeper for any spare time before the whistle  (not allowing for the few minutes in the brambles retrieving off target shots) will be unaffected by these rules?!

That's what I rember Mangle. I've never really understood the benefits of 30 minutes warm ups (or warm downs for that matter). Perhaps it saves managers from having to fill the time constructively before kick-off. It's ok for subs to warm up with a run to the corner flag and back before entering the fray and avoiding muscle injuries - so what makes them different from those who start the game?

37 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Can the Home club refuse a visiting club from using the main pitch for a warm up.?-I have seen it  (in the dry September month) this season

Yes - we do, no warm ups on the main pitch....almost never.

Warm ups have become totally stupid in their activities, and the length of them.

Full scale 7 a side games across the pitch and so on - stupid.

Half time kick arounds in the goalmouth on a wet day will wreck a goalmouth for the rest of the season.

Then the players complain the pitch is bumpy...really (!) what level are we playing at for gawd's sake.

15 minutes ago, John Mead said:

If there's an alternative to using the pitch to warm up, it makes good sense to use that area instead. Even a goalkeeper can go through all his warm up routines without having to use the goal mouth.

And when you ask / tell them to come out the goalmouth, what a load of gob you get then (!)

Had it a few weeks ago asking spectators to leave the pitch at half time - gob shytes or what....I know what I'd like to do to them :SM_carton:

16 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Can the Home club refuse a visiting club from using the main pitch for a warm up.?-I have seen it  (in the dry September month) this season

Camelford do even when it is bone dry, just causes animosity and makes victory all the more sweeter.

Groundsman at most clubs will ask that warm ups don't take place on the match day pitch if there is provided alternative , understandable when you realise how much work goes into keeping the pitch playable over 12 months  , with weeding , fertiliser , cutting , marking ect  and if you only have one pitch just think how many games are played over the course of a season .

21 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And when you ask / tell them to come out the goalmouth, what a load of gob you get then (!)

Had it a few weeks ago asking spectators to leave the pitch at half time - gob shytes or what....I know what I'd like to do to them :SM_carton:

We have Greg at Hayle not many will  argue with him about his request to get off the pitch which is right as he has spent years getting the playing surface tip top ,  and he is self critical as if you give him a compliment about them he always says some  things can be done to improve it ,