Cornwall Football Forum

Is commonsense in arranging midweek fixtures?

Witheridge were winning 2-1. Saltash will win the rematch. 38 league games plus numerous cup games equates to more games than weeks into the season. Midweek is the only option. Unfortunate yes but that's life.

It gets said every season about clubs travelling stupid distances midweek. 

There are enough clubs locally to have midweek games against each other ie clubs in west Cornwall, Plymouth area/east Cornwall and Exeter based clubs. Surely some midweek local derbies would also increase attendances and save the longer travelling for weekend games 

9 hours ago, pastyman said:

Have just returned home from a one hundred mile round trip to Witheridge. Game abandoned in the second half, due to fog/mist.

I have to question, why is such a fixture arranged for a Tuesday evening?

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

There are enough clubs locally to have midweek games against each other ie clubs in west Cornwall, Plymouth area/east Cornwall and Exeter based clubs. Surely some midweek local derbies would also increase attendances and save the longer travelling for weekend games 

Witheridge cant play Tiverton EVERY week. Ivybridge,Tavistock and Parkway have all travelled up there mid week, so stop dripping. You dont have to travel :wacko:

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Agree but the swpl officials seem to have no idea of distances or work commitments !

55 minutes ago, Ivory Toast said:

Witheridge cant play Tiverton EVERY week. Ivybridge,Tavistock and Parkway have all travelled up there mid week, so stop dripping. You dont have to travel :wacko:

Surely you can look at postcodes and say clubs with TR postcodes play against each other midweek, the PL postcode clubs play each other and then all the EX/TA postcodes can play midweek.  Bit of common sense really.

Think you should read Phil Hiscox's postingo on this subject on SWPL Forum: you may then understand the reason why such fixtures are necessary. It's all to easy to "point fingers" at the League and express unnecessary & unwarranted criticism.

Edited by John Mead
Correction

14 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

Of course the supporters opinions and views do not matter, it's not like attendances are dwindling in local football!!!

Of course the supporters opinions and views do not matter, it's not like attendances are dwindling in local football!!!

It appears once again that league officials are living in cloud cuckoo land !

Surely Witheridge have to travel further than anyone else does for midweek games. If only (like someone has said previously) the teams in the same starting postcode play eachother midweek, teams like Witheridge/Collumpton, and Helston from down west, would be 8/10 games behind everyone else by November if they didn't play midweek. Also, if they got a reasonable distance in any cup competition they would be even further behind, leading to there being a "pile up of fixtures" at the end of the season, and then everyone saying there should be a more even listing of fixtures. If you play at this level, you know that you will have to travel in midweek. 

Witheridge, Argyle reserves, Exmouth, Tivvy reserves, Cullumpton - 5 teams play each other midweek instead of weekends

Torpoint, Saltash, Parkway, Callington, Ivybridge, Tavvy - 6 teams play games vs each other midweek

Launceston, Camelford, Bodmin, Blazey, St Austell - 5 teams

Falmouth, Helston, Newquay, Godolphin - 4 teams

That would not put teams that many games behind each other as teams do not play midweek fixtures every week.  Obviously come the end of the season with postponed games etc through the winter months some flexibility would be needed to accommodate those games.

I'm not saying i'm right, just suggesting an alternative which may also help boost attendances and reduce midweek travelling 

Witheridge, Argyle reserves, Exmouth, Tivvy reserves, Cullumpton - 5 teams play each other midweek instead of weekends

Torpoint, Saltash, Parkway, Callington, Ivybridge, Tavvy - 6 teams play games vs each other midweek

Launceston, Camelford, Bodmin, Blazey, St Austell - 5 teams

Falmouth, Helston, Newquay, Godolphin - 4 teams

That would not put teams that many games behind each other as teams do not play midweek fixtures every week.  Obviously come the end of the season with postponed games etc through the winter months some flexibility would be needed to accommodate those games.

I'm not saying i'm right, just suggesting an alternative which may also help boost attendances and reduce midweek travelling 

As Phil said on his forum, two of those local games are used up for Boxing Day/Good Friday games and trying to avoid too much travel in the holiday period at the start of the season. Also this season the last Saturday is New Years Eve so reduced travel has also been used then.

Let's be honest though, if the fog hadn't come in last night would we be having this conversation?

Even after the League Secretary's explanation of the reasons for midweek fixtures, some people still think they know better. Whatever alternative is suggested would have already been explored and dismissed because it doesn't work as well as the current format. If it was left to the supporters of Clubs to arrange the fixtures as they would like them, that would free up some of Phil's time and allow him to live a more stress-free life - doubt the season would finish on time though!

1 hour ago, cat weasel said:

At the end of the day if you don't want to travel and watch stay home simple 

That's exactly what I do and that's why due to work and family commitments I couldn't commit to travelling. Therefore one of the reasons I'm no longer involved in or watch as much local football, like lots of other ex-players, ex-managers, ex-volunteers and ex-club officials 

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Even after the League Secretary's explanation of the reasons for midweek fixtures, some people still think they know better. Whatever alternative is suggested would have already been explored and dismissed because it doesn't work as well as the current format. If it was left to the supporters of Clubs to arrange the fixtures as they would like them, that would free up some of Phil's time and allow him to live a more stress-free life - doubt the season would finish on time though!

Do you not think that sometimes people might indeed know better ?

Teams like Truro have a lot further to travel for midweek games.

Would this discussion have take place if the game had been completed?

If it was an FA Vase tie, the FA (based at Wembley) would have instructed a midweek replay if the clubs had decided not to go to penalties)

The longest midweek trip in the SWPL was Falmouth travelling to Cullompton a few seasons back.

11 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

Teams like Truro have a lot further to travel for midweek games.

Would this discussion have take place if the game had been completed?

If it was an FA Vase tie, the FA (based at Wembley) would have instructed a midweek replay if the clubs had decided not to go to penalties)

The longest midweek trip in the SWPL was Falmouth travelling to Cullompton a few seasons back.

Yes, but these teams have much larger financial clout.

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think it is disappointing that the League Secretary actually has to justify anything!

Is it the club or its supporters questioning things?

Why shouldn't the Secretary justify anything. For a club to have to travel 80 miles on a Tuesday evening in October is not acceptable. Players have jobs, supporters have jobs.

I am questioning this as a supporter, not on behalf of the club and why shouldn't I?

1 minute ago, pastyman said:

Why shouldn't the Secretary justify anything. For a club to have to travel 80 miles on a Tuesday evening in October is not acceptable. Players have jobs, supporters have jobs.

I am questioning this as a supporter, not on behalf of the club and why shouldn't I?

EXACTLY !!

People surely know that this could happen when they play in this league? I play in this league with a job a long way from where I play. I have a manager who, thankfully is very understanding of this who is happy if I can arrive around kick off, sometimes after. There are always going to be fixtures that don't suit teams/players. I enjoy playing and am delighted to be involved if I can get there. Sometimes it works out that I arrive early/sometimes late but I would never not consider travelling and if, as occasionally happens I cant make it, the manager accept's this and I accept if the boys win I may not be in the team next week. That to me is football. 

The National League System dictates that Step 6 Leagues should have a minimum of 20 Clubs, all with floodlights, so that they can play midweek games. Fewer teams is not an option.

Longer trips for evening games are kept to the minimum needed to complete the fixtures by the end of April - another NLS requirement - and the Clubs accept this situation: a pity not all supporters have the same mentality, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

As an indirect link. the discussion about travelling distances on here and on the SWPL Forum illustrates quite well why some clubs in both the West Division and the Premier Division, because of their geographical position and all the implications of that, will decline promotion even when eligible on playing position and ground quality.

Back in the South Western League days, Penzance travelled to Saltash three times in February for midweek fixtures: one League fixture, one League Cup game and a Charity Cup game. 146 mile round trip without complaint. Things haven't changed and are unlikely to do so for Premier Division Clubs.

On 26/10/2016 at 06:43, quiksilver said:

And also players who haven't got a game mid week more likely gonna wanna watch a Derby game  close by then say a team from 40miles away who no one knows  

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 16:33, John Mead said:

Back in the South Western League days, Penzance travelled to Saltash three times in February for midweek fixtures: one League fixture, one League Cup game and a Charity Cup game. 146 mile round trip without complaint. Things haven't changed and are unlikely to do so for Premier Division Clubs.

This is no reason why things should not change !

• I am neither a fan nor friend of Big Al, but he sees his remit as writing posts that will

illicit a response. He sees himself as successful in this field, and unfortunately he is.

I have fallen into the trap and responded to his posts before. If everyone was to ignore

him and not even mention his name, he will soon disappear.

Easy for me to say, I know

•