Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell 3 Argyle Reserves 1

An excellent all round performance tonight by St Austell against a young Argyle team who played some good football. The Argyle line up was more appropriate for this league tonight. The first half was played in foggy conditions, the bottom touchline was barely visible fom the stand. 

Argyle started brightly and only some excellent goalkeeping by Jason Chapan kept the game scoreless. St Austell got back into the game and set up some good moves playing some impressive football. Aaron Taylor of Argyle was sent off for a nasty late tackle on Martin Watts in the 15th miniutes. Watts had to hobble off, fortunately his leg wasn't broken but he was walking wih the aid of crutches after the game. Harry Evans finished off a fine move in the 33rd minute to put the Lillywhites ahead at half time 1-0  Liam Eddy increased the lead in the 53rd minute, finishing off some scrappy play by the penalty spot  Fletcher reduced the arrears in the 68th minute with a free header froma cross. Argyle pressed for an equaliser but were thwarted by some excellent home defending, Martin Giles and Tom Chambers were particularly impressive. Chambers himself sealed an excellent victory by scoring the third home goal which came off the inside of the post in the 76th minute. The referee Ross Martin had an excellent match  

St Austell - Chapman, Roberts, Tinsley, Giles, Chambers, Watts (Mulready 15), Reski, Brokenshire, Eddy (Hart 80), Evans, Bello (Goldsworthy 71) . Unused subs - T Mitchell, D. Nancarrow  

Argyle Reserves - Cooper, Hodges, Crawford (Craske 71), Taylor, Bentley, Rose, Jephcott, Rooney, Fletcher, Steer(capt)(Lane 78), Battle  Unused subs - J Richards, C. McAuley, R. Williams  

Attendance - 332 

Although I have watched the tackle on watts six times I can honestly see why the Plymouth player was sent off. I challenge anyone to watch that challenge again. It's very interesting when you watch it again to see that the Plymouth player was looking at the ball and stretching for the ball. Watts in fact ran into his foot !! Who would be a referee ???? Can you imagine what a reaction there would have been if in fact he had given a free kick the other way ??? After looking at the clip a few times that's probably what should have happened ! We were treated to a good game in the end and a great result for the Lillywhites

12 hours ago, le boss said:

Funny how there is no whining about the strength of the Argyle team. Wonder if that would have been the case had they one???

I did state that the Argyle team selected was more appropriate for this level of football. Obviously having a player sent off after 15 minutes was a handicap, but despite this their young team played well and were very much part of a good match.  People's "whining" about Argyle playing 8 or 9 first team players is justified as it is inappropriate for Step 6 football and unbalances the League, not creating a level playing field (although Poltair isn't, lol). 

16 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Although I have watched the tackle on watts six times I can honestly see why the Plymouth player was sent off. I challenge anyone to watch that challenge again. It's very interesting when you watch it again to see that the Plymouth player was looking at the ball and stretching for the ball. Watts in fact ran into his foot !! Who would be a referee ???? Can you imagine what a reaction there would have been if in fact he had given a free kick the other way ??? After looking at the clip a few times that's probably what should have happened ! We were treated to a good game in the end and a great result for the Lillywhites

Nobody knows a players intent when they go into a "tackle" except the player himself but the broken shin pad and cuts to Watts' lower leg are proof enough of the amount of studs showing....very lucky it was only his shin pad that was broken.:SM_carton:Correct decision I think.

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Nobody knows a players intent when they go into a "tackle" except the player himself but the broken shin pad and cuts to Watts' lower leg are proof enough of the amount of studs showing....very lucky it was only his shin pad that was broken.:SM_carton:Correct decision I think.

Agreed Tony. I saw the state of Martin's leg post match and not surprised his shin pad was broken, thankfully he was wearing it. Very much the correct decision - red card. 

Not watched it back then guys !!!  In real time it was the correct decision but what I'm saying is in actual fact it probably wasn't !! but if you've not watched it back then your not really going to see where I'm coming from. Anyway onwards and upwards and let's hope Wattsy is fit to play again very soon