Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay vs Launceston

Been looking to see which match to take in today and have decided its got to be Newquay vs Launceston 2 mins up the hill for me to the ground ,got a feeling this could be Newquays 1st win of the season but the Launceston goalie Ollie Chenoweth is 1 of the best goalies around just hope Newquay do better than last week against Saltash when they fell to pieces in the 2nd half  so i will be shouting for the peppermints and next week at Godolphin way vs Plymouth Argyle res think the G will have a chance of beating them because in there last couple of games Plymouth have been playing there youngsters 

Tribute this very young side was shambolic this afternoon the Launceston goalie didnt have a save to make and the Newquay defence what a mess. This young side is going to be relegated for sure Launceston dominated the game and all Newquay did was put the ball on the big no5s head all afternoon think he was called Rundle they are a good side Launceston but nothing special Newquay just made them look good the No10 the bald bloke Blatchford think he was called my man of the match he was everywhere but the No5 who is more built like a rugby player was dominant for the Launceston defence ,my mom for Newquay goes to the no12 for his marvellous tackle at the end of the match to stop Launceston getting a 5th when Danny Zallick unselfishly rolled the ball across for what looked like a tap in but the no12 made a hell of a good tackle . Hope the Newquay lad that was stretched off will be ok . I thought the ref had a fine game and played the advantage and let the game really flow only trouble was it  was flowing in the Newquay goal mouth too much . Going to be putting a bet on Glyn Hobbs gettin a hat trick next week when Newquay travel to Tavi . I do think the small No 9 for Newquay is a good player but Newquay just lumped the ball to O Hagan and they rely on him too much . Come on Newquay you can still stay up 

Newquays saving grace might be that if only one club gets relegated, as they are level on points with St.Blazey with two games in hand, but that is a big IF! With both teams losing again today, it might be to high a hill for them to climb, think both will be relegated for sure. I believe it was St.Blazeys 19th consecutive defeat, & 3rd in a row for the new manager, who must of wished he stayed at Marjons who won again today in his absence! Football can be a cruel game 

45 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Newquays saving grace might be that if only one club gets relegated, as they are level on points with St.Blazey with two games in hand, but that is a big IF! With both teams losing again today, it might be to high a hill for them to climb, think both will be relegated for sure. I believe it was St.Blazeys 19th consecutive defeat, & 3rd in a row for the new manager, who must of wished he stayed at Marjons who won again today in his absence! Football can be a cruel game 

Leeds - is it only one relegated?

It's not just football though. I was chatting to a guy associated with Newquay Hornets who said that after gaining promotion to the next league recently, 12 of their players who only had to travel throughout Cornwall and Devon opted to either leave the club or play on the reserves. Won their league with ease but as soon as travelling and upping their standard a bit came into play they chose to step away. 

Sign of the times across all sports?

I think a lot of it has to do with the travelling side.of things. Some teams in the Peninsula Premier division have to make really long journeys which are time consuming and quite a big commitment for players as well as managers and supporters. Helston to Tiverton is a long way to play step 6 football (240 miles round trip). It is an unfortunate reality that i believe puts a considerable strain on clubs financial resources and hinders player recruitment. 

I dont believe that other step six league clubs throughout the country have to contend with such long distances. These kind of distances are usually in higher leagues where gates are higher and consequently more substantial players "expenses" come more in to the equation which makes in more attractive to them to step up and travel etc.   

I see where you are coming from Keith. I want to play at the highest possible level, be it the same league I'm in now or higher. I would travel as far as is needed to play, as that's all I want to do. It is definitely more difficult for those players who have families. But I'm sure many people are understandable of a players situation if it came to him travelling so far in a day or two for the player to play as much as they can and as high as they can.

On 30/10/2016 at 23:40, derek martyn said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the travelling side.of things. Some teams in the Peninsula Premier division have to make really long journeys which are time consuming and quite a big commitment for players as well as managers and supporters. Helston to Tiverton is a long way to play step 6 football (240 miles round trip). It is an unfortunate reality that i believe puts a considerable strain on clubs financial resources and hinders player recruitment. 

I dont believe that other step six league clubs throughout the country have to contend with such long distances. These kind of distances are usually in higher leagues where gates are higher and consequently more substantial players "expenses" come more in to the equation which makes in more attractive to them to step up and travel etc.   

In the 1974/75 season, teams like Penzance, Porthleven and Illogan had to travel to the likes of Exeter City, St Lukes College Res (Clyst St Mary), Ottery St Mary, Elmore (Tiverton) as well as the two 'adopted Cornish clubs' - Holsworthy and Tavistock and before the advent of the improved roads so I would say that it's easier to get to these places and quicker too.