Cornwall Football Forum

SALTASH UNITED v GODOLPHIN ATHLETIC

I ventured out to this game and took the wife for her annual hit of fresh air too.  The game started relatively slowly and Saltash found themselves in front, looked like a spill form the Godolphin keeper and Sam Hughes doesn't miss from a few yards out. The game became more and more controlled by Saltash who kept the ball and played some nice football.  The 2nd goal came on the stroke of half time when a deep cross was headed in at the back post and again it looked as though the keeper should have done a lot better (it wasn't their regular keeper who i have seen a few times and is a more commanding figure).  Godolphin started brighter in the 2nd half and perhaps got a desrved goal back, and what a goal. The number 12 it ws, hit a first time looping effort from about 40/45 yards over the stranded saltash keeper.  Not sure of his name, but players were calling him Jay all game.  This seemed to wake saltahs up who got stronger as the game went and scored a flurry of goals in the final 20 minutes to make it a more comfortable scoreline and an absolute corker from the youngster callum hall to cap i all off. I must say, Saltash played some really good football their central midfielder (no 6) is a class act, dominated the centre well and he has got a fir bit of pace with the ball at his, a bit like yaya toure. Not sure whether Godolphin had an off night or not, but it looked as though they had a few players missing, inparticular their goalie who they missed dearly as i would say the keeper was at fault or should have done better for at least 3/4 of the goals.  Their number 12 was their best player, he was everywhere.  Well worth the entrance money and will be looking to visit saltash again soon.  Even the wife seemed to have a good evening.

10 minutes ago, secretscout said:

I ventured out to this game and took the wife for her annual hit of fresh air too.  The game started relatively slowly and Saltash found themselves in front, looked like a spill form the Godolphin keeper and Sam Hughes doesn't miss from a few yards out. The game became more and more controlled by Saltash who kept the ball and played some nice football.  The 2nd goal came on the stroke of half time when a deep cross was headed in at the back post and again it looked as though the keeper should have done a lot better (it wasn't their regular keeper who i have seen a few times and is a more commanding figure).  Godolphin started brighter in the 2nd half and perhaps got a desrved goal back, and what a goal. The number 12 it ws, hit a first time looping effort from about 40/45 yards over the stranded saltash keeper.  Not sure of his name, but players were calling him Jay all game.  This seemed to wake saltahs up who got stronger as the game went and scored a flurry of goals in the final 20 minutes to make it a more comfortable scoreline and an absolute corker from the youngster callum hall to cap i all off. I must say, Saltash played some really good football their central midfielder (no 6) is a class act, dominated the centre well and he has got a fir bit of pace with the ball at his, a bit like yaya toure. Not sure whether Godolphin had an off night or not, but it looked as though they had a few players missing, inparticular their goalie who they missed dearly as i would say the keeper was at fault or should have done better for at least 3/4 of the goals.  Their number 12 was their best player, he was everywhere.  Well worth the entrance money and will be looking to visit saltash again soon.  Even the wife seemed to have a good evening.

I don't think Godolphin had an "off night" at all, as they played some nice football, as they always do.  To say they had an "off night" takes credit away from the "team performance" by the entire "ashes" squad. They all put in a really good shift last night and fully deserve being top of the table.

2 hours ago, secretscout said:

Who was the keeper ?

4 hours ago, pastyman said:

I don't think Godolphin had an "off night" at all, as they played some nice football, as they always do.  To say they had an "off night" takes credit away from the "team performance" by the entire "ashes" squad. They all put in a really good shift last night and fully deserve being top of the table.

Im sure i mentioned a cuple times that saltash played some nice football, and also mentioned they controlled the game well playing good football.  I also mentioned that godlphin got a deserved goal back implying they were doing enough to warrant a goal.  I would say they had an off night, their usual controlled possesion rich style of play was lacking last night, partly down to how well saltash played (not sure i mentioned it) but also down to themselves. Not sure who the keeper was, haven't seen him before, he looked a bit lightweight and didn't do himself too many favours,  But i must stress, to keep pastyman happy, i enjoyed the evening (as did the wife) and thought there was good football on display and saltash deservedly got all 3 points, if that put them back at the top of the pile, then well done, thoroughly deserved on that game last night!

6 minutes ago, secretscout said:

Thanks Sid, all i knew was that they called him Jay.  He was certainly their best player and looks as if he should be playing at a higher standard.  His quality from set pieces and passing range along with decision making was very impressive. 

Ex-pro - Chesterfield, Argyle & Truro - retired me when he was 16 lol and I was 32 great player

That will explain it SID, a very good player indeed.

Maybe just an off night for the keeper then, however, doing well at Dobwalls against poorer sides is a different ball game to playing against players like Sam Hughes and Ryan Richards.  He just seemed a bit lightweight and short of the quality required.  Like i said, maybe just an off night, but at 21 he still has a lot to learn. Where is their usual keeper? One f the top 4 or 5 keepers in the league he is, for me.

There usual goalie Sean Semmens has now signed for mangotsfield town because he lives in Bristol and wanted to play in a higher league he is missed at the G because he was such a commanding figure . I have only seen Josh play once so fa and thought he was a good shot stoppedr but not so good at crosses and making his mind up i think he will be picking the ball out of the net tmmw seveel times when the G play Plymouth Argyle res be a tough game 

Godolphin played some very good football and can honestly say that the score doesn't reflect on the game not taking anything away from saltash as they are a very good team we had a couple of players out on the night but again proud of all the G boys be assured the bubble has not burst at the G and as for our keeper Josh is a young lad who has stepped up to play in a higher league as our original keeper Shaun has gone to play at a higher level like every player josh will find his feet and we are very happy to have Josh at the club roll on Saturday 

2 hours ago, secretscout said:

He just seemed a bit lightweight and short of the quality required.

I really don't think he is short of the quality required, maybe a little low on confidence at the moment....he's come to replace a well known & respected figure in Shaun so was always going to come under criticism. However, undoubtedly has a bit to learn. Seems like he has the club behind him & will probably take huge steps this season.

Has also come into a tough run of fixtures:

Argyle, Bodmin, Saltash, & Tiverton in 4 of his first 5 games....poor bugger! 

2 hours ago, Taniachairmangodolphin said:

Godolphin played some very good football and can honestly say that the score doesn't reflect on the game not taking anything away from saltash as they are a very good team we had a couple of players out on the night but again proud of all the G boys be assured the bubble has not burst at the G and as for our keeper Josh is a young lad who has stepped up to play in a higher league as our original keeper Shaun has gone to play at a higher level like every player josh will find his feet and we are very happy to have Josh at the club roll on Saturday 

score does not reflect the game , a few players out lol  here we go again.... you got stuffed.

4 hours ago, Taniachairmangodolphin said:

I did mention originally that you got a goal back early in the 2nd half that at the time you deserved, and that you did play nice football at times, but it wasn't the usual football i expect when i watch a godolphin team.  Nonetheless, the passion you have for the club is reflected by every player that represents the club, that is clear to see, and is actually quite refreshing. I have seen the local game decline in passion and attitude in recent times, but its great that your boys seem to still have that.  As for the keeper, like i said, he may have had an off night, but my opinion was based on what i saw, clearly he is young, has big gloves to fill, but evidently he has the backing of the club and his team mates, so that will go a long way to giving him the foundation to build on. Good luck to all involved.