Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL matches - Friday 18th & 19th November 2016

Friday November 18

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Plymouth Argyle Reserves 6-0 Launceston

Saturday November 19 (3 pm unless otherwise stated)

Premier Division

Camelford

P

Ivybridge Town

P

Waterlogged pitch - rearranged for Saturday April 22 (3 pm)

Cullompton Rangers

P

Bodmin Town

P

Waterlogged pitch  rearranged for April 25 (7.45 pm)

Exmouth Town

Falmouth Town

Helston Athletic

Tavistock

Newquay

St Blazey

Plymouth Parkway

P

Tiverton Town Reserves

P

Waterlogged pitch - rearranged for Saturday April 22 (3 pm)

Saltash United

St Austell

Torpoint Athletic

Godolphin Atlantic

Witheridge

Callington Town

Division One (East)

Alphington

Sidmouth Town

Appledore

P

Bovey Tracey

P

Waterlogged pitch - rearranged for Saturday March 11 (3 pm)

Axminster Town

Galmpton United

3 pm kick-off

Brixham

Crediton United

Exwick Villa

Newton Abbot Spurs

Liverton United

Teignmouth

Stoke Gabriel

Totnes & Dartington

Torridgeside

P

Budleigh Salterton

P

Waterlogged pitch - rearranged for Saturday May 6 (3 pm)

University of Exeter

St Martins

Division One (West)

Bude Town

Dobwalls

Illogan RBL

St Dennis

Millbrook

Holsworthy

Penryn Athletic

Plymouth Marjon

Plymstock United

Mousehole

Porthleven

Liskeard Athletic

Vospers Oak Villa

Penzance

Wendron United

Sticker

Some great fixtures this weekend, we have a cracking little journey away to a hood Cullumpton side who often pick up points at Home, a tough examination awaits us I'm sure. Saltash/St.Austell will be an entertaining game, could St.Austell afford to drop more points? I can see them winning this game. Some big games at the bottom also, Camelford/Ivybridge to see who can pull further away from the bottom two, who also meet each other in a fixture that must be to late now for either club  unless a side above them have a dramatic slide in fortunes? Although Newquay have a few games in hand on St.Blazey, I can see Blazey winning this game comfortably.

Plymouth Argyle Reserves are a really good footballing side. For a load of youngsters they really do play the game the right way. They keep the ball on the deck as much as possible, move the ball quickly in possession so they keep hold of it easier, they've got pace and can finish. I enjoyed watching them earlier in the season.

Back from watching Newquay loose 3-2to St Blazey i thought Newquay dominated the 1st half but went in 2-0 down thanks to bad defending as usual the Newquay defence is just so poor and when a team cant even take a corner kick or free kick proper without kicking it out of play u know the team will struggle . Ex Godolphin player Kayne Trevaskis in a Newquay shirt tried to use his bulk to get the better of St Blazey defence without much sucess but when u r going to just lump the ball up to the 2 big guys in OHagan and Trevaskis thats just not going to work . Its upsetting seeing this Newquay side playing so poor and next week when Plymouth Parkway turn up it will be double figures i think Newquay should try O Hagan at cente half and Jack Rapsey up front next week .My man of the match Josh Sims fo St Blazey and Jack Bray EVANS for Newquay thought the ref had a good game as well . The 2 Spear brothers where a handful for  Newquay and the defence just couldnt cope .Well done St Blazey but Newquay looks  like relegation is a certainty especially with that poor defence 

Illogan 0, St Dennis 0

Not a game to match the old SWL at level 7, which is what SWPL West is supposed to be. Both sides guilty of throwing away possession with errant passing and frequent CIPs. Having said that, Illogan should have won except their No 9 saw a feeble penalty saved on 26 mins, then played against 10 men down their slope for the last 20 mins - don't coaches teach teams how to play against 10 men any more?

Discussion point. There was a fracas in the 2nd half, late tackle, retaliation, handbags, players flying in from all directions, pushing and shoving: ref dealt with it well, gave a couple of yellows, then re-started with a dropped ball: not one of those tame ones where only one team puts a player in for the drop and he kindly plays the ball back to the opposing 'keeper. No: both teams had a player in position for the drop, but only the St Dennis guy went for the ball, the Illogan player just standing there and not making any effort to go for the ball when it was dropped. The St Dennis player saw where the Illogan 'keper was and lobbed the ball over him and into the net. Unless a dropped ball is treated the same as an indirect free kick (IS it?), then surely that is a goal? The Ref re-dropped the ball having not given the goal. What say you?

(Really cold day, coffee at a quid didn't do much to warm me up but an oxtail Cuppasoup - also a quid - did. A day for a bacon roll, really....)

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Back from watching Newquay loose 3-2to St Blazey i thought Newquay dominated the 1st half but went in 2-0 down thanks to bad defending as usual the Newquay defence is just so poor and when a team cant even take a corner kick or free kick proper without kicking it out of play u know the team will struggle . Ex Godolphin player Kayne Trevaskis in a Newquay shirt tried to use his bulk to get the better of St Blazey defence without much sucess but when u r going to just lump the ball up to the 2 big guys in OHagan and Trevaskis thats just not going to work . Its upsetting seeing this Newquay side playing so poor and next week when Plymouth Parkway turn up it will be double figures i think Newquay should try O Hagan at cente half and Jack Rapsey up front next week .My man of the match Josh Sims fo St Blazey and Jack Bray EVANS for Newquay thought the ref had a good game as well . The 2 Spear brothers where a handful for  Newquay and the defence just couldnt cope .Well done St Blazey but Newquay looks  like relegation is a certainty especially with that poor defence 

100% - wouldn't disagree within anything you have said, Newquay were poor (slow) in defence and upfront OHagan and Trevaskis are both big lump who play with their back to goal - problem being is that with two of them there is no one to make any runs. The Newquay 11 (Pat?), spent his whole game complaining about every other player, whilst doing nothing himself - Newquay are seriously not a team for the SWPL Prem this season and should look to build for next season in the West.  Real shame for a big club but just a fact.

St Blazey had several young players (presumably some from the Argyle Development setup). Their 9 looked lively, but against the Newquay CB's hard to tell if he was pacey as they were so slow and Simms had a decent game. However I was not impressed with St Blazey, overall, as despite going in 2-0 up at half time - Newquay actually had better chances - Trevaskis and 11 had simple one on ones that they butchered. There was no 'quality' in the StBlazey line up and a couple of their defenders were bad enough to actually play for Newquay.

St Blazey will no doubt take heart from their win and 3 points, but on today's performance you have to honestly believe there is a long long way to go before they can consider themselves as a SWPL Prem team.

Really sorry to appear to write off two such great clubs, but left the game today feeling that I had been ripped off to have paid to watch the game - I've seen better in the ECPL / Combo.

33 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

100% - wouldn't disagree within anything you have said, Newquay were poor (slow) in defence and upfront OHagan and Trevaskis are both big lump who play with their back to goal - problem being is that with two of them there is no one to make any runs. The Newquay 11 (Pat?), spent his whole game complaining about every other player, whilst doing nothing himself - Newquay are seriously not a team for the SWPL Prem this season and should look to build for next season in the West.  Real shame for a big club but just a fact.

St Blazey had several young players (presumably some from the Argyle Development setup). Their 9 looked lively, but against the Newquay CB's hard to tell if he was pacey as they were so slow and Simms had a decent game. However I was not impressed with St Blazey, overall, as despite going in 2-0 up at half time - Newquay actually had better chances - Trevaskis and 11 had simple one on ones that they butchered. There was no 'quality' in the StBlazey line up and a couple of their defenders were bad enough to actually play for Newquay.

St Blazey will no doubt take heart from their win and 3 points, but on today's performance you have to honestly believe there is a long long way to go before they can consider themselves as a SWPL Prem team.

Really sorry to appear to write off two such great clubs, but left the game today feeling that I had been ripped off to have paid to watch the game - I've seen better in the ECPL / Combo.

Have to agree with this, I saw this basement encounter today with Bodmins trip to Cullumpton postponed. Probably the two poorest sides I have seen at this level for a very very long time. Both sides poor in attack, against even worse defending from BOTH sides. ANY  other side in this division would of crucified either of these two teams today. The only real quality (in glimpses) was from the boy Spear, thats Aaron obviously, not Raymond! Two great clubs, but only one half decent player between them in Aaron Spear. If Newquay had took their chances first half it would of been a different scoreline. Even with games in hand I can't see Newquay climbing out of the bottom two, same to be said for St.Blazey, both heading for Divison One West, & maybe even lower than that after todays viewing & both sides awful records

1 hour ago, Anita said:

The drop ball has to hit the floor before it can be played and if I'm right ... if a goal is scored directly from a drop ball it's either a goal kick or corner ball. Been a few years since I last had a drop ball so if I'm wrong I'm sorry :-) 

Correct! If it is directly hit into opponents goal it is goal kick, own goal a corner kick.

1 minute ago, davegrose said:

Cheers

wot for tho?

Well if I remember correctly. One of the st Dennis strikers went down in the penalty area some say it was simulation some say it wasn't.

then an illogan player told him to get up and stop diving to which st Dennis player didn't agree got up and a few handbags were pushed about but nothing major. 2 players got booked what for no idea. 

So then the ref got the ball took it about 20 yards out so out the area and done a drop ball. St Dennis player chipped it into the net. Illogans keeper got it and he ref then took another redrop which was then played near the corner flag. Then played continued .... 

3 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Illogan 0, St Dennis 0

Not a game to match the old SWL at level 7, which is what SWPL West is supposed to be. Both sides guilty of throwing away possession with errant passing and frequent CIPs. Having said that, Illogan should have won except their No 9 saw a feeble penalty saved on 26 mins, then played against 10 men down their slope for the last 20 mins - don't coaches teach teams how to play against 10 men any more?

Discussion point. There was a fracas in the 2nd half, late tackle, retaliation, handbags, players flying in from all directions, pushing and shoving: ref dealt with it well, gave a couple of yellows, then re-started with a dropped ball: not one of those tame ones where only one team puts a player in for the drop and he kindly plays the ball back to the opposing 'keeper. No: both teams had a player in position for the drop, but only the St Dennis guy went for the ball, the Illogan player just standing there and not making any effort to go for the ball when it was dropped. The St Dennis player saw where the Illogan 'keper was and lobbed the ball over him and into the net. Unless a dropped ball is treated the same as an indirect free kick (IS it?), then surely that is a goal? The Ref re-dropped the ball having not given the goal. What say you?

(Really cold day, coffee at a quid didn't do much to warm me up but an oxtail Cuppasoup - also a quid - did. A day for a bacon roll, really....)

A goal can be scored from a dropped ball BUT it must have touched at least two players before crossing over the goal line. If an own goal is scored from a dropped ball, the restart would be a corner kick to the other team.

The law states that it must touch two players before a goal can be scored... so, if the keeper attempted a save, got a hand to it but was unable to prevent a goal... well, there's you're two touches. The thing that the law doesn't state is whether the original player who touches ball (as in this situation) counts as one of those two players. 

Apologies @bighairydave, I didn't realise that you'd answered the question :) 

Saltash United were convincing winners over a St Austell side who never worked out that the long ball wouldn't work as the Ashes back line headed it away almost every time. St Austell were surprisingly poor and the rout started with a mistake from Jason Chapman and it was downhill from there. Ending up with ten men didn't help their cause.

10 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Saltash United were convincing winners over a St Austell side who never worked out that the long ball wouldn't work as the Ashes back line headed it away almost every time. St Austell were surprisingly poor and the rout started with a mistake from Jason Chapman and it was downhill from there. Ending up with ten men didn't help their cause.

Who got a red card ?

Helston v Tavistock 

Tough game for Tavistock away from home, missing three senior players (Warren Daw, Shane Krac and Glyn Hobbs)..  Conditions were not great for both teams, but Tavistock got the ball down and played to come back from one down to lead two one at half time. Both of the Tavistock goals coming from Josh Grant... 

Half time talk brought out a fired up Helston and two defensive lapses by Tavistock let Helston re take the lead.

Tavistock continued to pass the ball, with Grant equalising from a spot kick. then a fine through ball found Jack Crago, who went outside the defender and smashed home an unstoppable shot from 20 yards.. 

This was a great result against a hard working Helston side. Tavistock also included two 16 year old players in their squad.... 

16 hours ago, Westcountry boy said:

Helston v Tavistock 

Tough game for Tavistock away from home, missing three senior players (Warren Daw, Shane Krac and Glyn Hobbs)..  Conditions were not great for both teams, but Tavistock got the ball down and played to come back from one down to lead two one at half time. Both of the Tavistock goals coming from Josh Grant... 

Half time talk brought out a fired up Helston and two defensive lapses by Tavistock let Helston re take the lead.

Tavistock continued to pass the ball, with Grant equalising from a spot kick. then a fine through ball found Jack Crago, who went outside the defender and smashed home an unstoppable shot from 20 yards.. 

This was a great result against a hard working Helston side. Tavistock also included two 16 year old players in their squad.... 

This was a good game considering the conditions and Helston will feel aggrieved that really they should of won this on chances created. Helston too had a very youthful squad with one 16yr old and four 17yrs old in the squad with threeoff them starting and one coming on in the second half.

Overall I thought Helston were the better team and created the better chances and if the lad Crago who scored the winner  who should not off been on the pitch after he kicked out at the Helston's centre half whilst both on the floor and connected to his head right in front the ref who i thought overall had a good game but should of sent him off! If Helston keep playing like this they will soon march up the table but need to take their chances at one end and shut the door at the other.