Cornwall Football Forum

Charity Cup Draw.

I'm not saying they would rigg it, but if no-one from outside the county fa is there certain clubs might question some draws! Looking at the clubs left in Sticker v Mousehole  would be the final most people would go to watch. These 2 could be kept apart. I'll more than likely be wrong when the draw is made but I'll happily admit that. 

I know it doesn't happen in these cups, but surely there is a case for 'seeding' cup draws, based on previous season standings. Whichever way you do it, it's not going to please everyone but in many cases where you see clear favourites playing each other in early rounds it can devalue a cup - suppose that's the joy of cups, anyone can win?!?!

Tommy - would never suggest it was rigged (any of the cups) - but just by example it you look at the U18 Rathbone Cup - the final last year was Saltsh u18 v Newquay u18 ( won by Newquay). This year there were three prelim matches and 5 byes - one of the prelim matches was Newquay u18 v Saltash u18. Had some seeding been applied then these two teams would / could only meet in the final.

The same happens in every cup (Bodmin v Godolphin etc) - surely simple seeding could balance things out at bit - agree how the seeding works this season to apply next - viz based on cup standings or league standings.

Just a suggestion and if seeding previously agreed then it adds no work to the draw or management of the cup.

The Quarter-Final draw is:

04/02/17 (all at 2pm)

Polperro  v Penryn Athletic

Sticker v St Dennis

Mousehole v Wendron United

Illogan RBL  v Liskeard Athletic

4 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Tommy - would never suggest it was rigged (any of the cups) - but just by example it you look at the U18 Rathbone Cup - the final last year was Saltsh u18 v Newquay u18 ( won by Newquay). This year there were three prelim matches and 5 byes - one of the prelim matches was Newquay u18 v Saltash u18. Had some seeding been applied that these two teams would / could only meet in the final.

The same happens in every cup (Bodmin v Godolphin etc) - surely simple seeding could balance things out at bit - agree how the seeding works this season to apply next - viz based on cup standings or league standings.

Just a suggestion and if seeding previously agreed then it adds no work to the draw or management of the cup.

Some people would suggest it's good for other teams to be in the finals!

I guess it would need to be agreed at the beginning and if everyone is in agreement then there's no issue. 

The only seeding in the FA Cup is that teams of a certain standard come in at a later stage and after that it's a free for all. But that's how the Cornwall Senior Cup is organised and it gives some of the lesser known teams to have a cup run. 

The Charity Cup is an invitational competition and would we want seeding in that? I really don't know. 

The only thing I can tell you is that having spoken about changes made to cup competitions with Cornwall FA CEO Dawn Aberdeen some time ago, she was adamant that they are YOUR cups not the CCFA's. If people want change and enough people vote for it and as long as it comes within guidelines set by the FA then they will try and do it. 

1 hour ago, panda said:

jft96 you say most people would want to watch Sticker v Mousehole in the final. There may be lots of people in the east of the county would like to see Liskeard v Polperro as the final played at Saltash / Torpoint Millbrook.

Many people in the west would like to see a fairer way of deciding on 'neutral' venues for the semi final and finals of the cup competitions - i.e. grounds that are equidistant from the two competing clubs, not 65 miles for one team and 10 for the other.  Places like Porthleven, Falmouth and Helston seem to get overlooked.

8 hours ago, Anne Teake said:

Many people in the west would like to see a fairer way of deciding on 'neutral' venues for the semi final and finals of the cup competitions - i.e. grounds that are equidistant from the two competing clubs, not 65 miles for one team and 10 for the other.  Places like Porthleven, Falmouth and Helston seem to get overlooked.

It would be rare for Porthleven to be both equidistant from the two teams and a sensible journey for both teams. Helston will get more consideration now their ground has been upgraded (and very nice it is too)

As was pointed out at the end of last season, any club wishing to host a semi or the final, offer your ground to the CCFA. It would make it easier for them to know they could call in a certain club.