Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - fixtures for Saturday, December 10 2016

Feel free to post your pre and post match comments

Saturday December 10

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

Premier Division

Camelford                           P             Godolphin Atlantic           P

Exmouth Town                  3              Helston Athletic                 1

Ivybridge Town                 2              St Blazey                              0

Launceston                         1              Torpoint Athletic              2

Newquay                            2              Cullompton Rangers       2

Plymouth Argyle Res       2              Falmouth Town                 1

Plymouth Parkway          P             Tavistock                             P

Saltash United                   2              Callington Town                0

Tiverton Town Res           2              Bodmin Town                    2

Witheridge                         1              St Austell                             3

Division One (East)

Alphington                          0              Appledore                          3

Axminster Town               1              Liverton United                 2

Budleigh Salterton           0              Brixham                               4

Exwick Villa                         1              Bovey Tracey                     3

Galmpton United             0              Teignmouth                       1

Newton Abbot Spurs      2              Crediton United                 3

St Martins                           3              Totnes & Dartington       1

Stoke Gabriel                     3              Sidmouth Town                 1

University of Exeter        5              Torridgeside                       1

Division One (WEst)

Dobwalls                              3              Bude Town                         2

Elburton Villa                     P             Illogan RBL                          P

Holsworthy                         5              Wendron United              2

Liskeard Athletic               P             Plymouth Marjon             P

Millbrook                             0              Sticker                                  5

Mousehole                         P             Plymstock United             P

Penzance                            1              Vospers Oak Villa              1

Porthleven                         3              Penryn Athletic                 1

St Dennis                             P             Wadebridge Town           P

An awful day of never ending rain brought the inevitable postponements and a need for careful planning regarding which games had a good chance of going ahead.

I eventually ended up over at Kimberley to get another look at high flying Saltash United for their encounter with Callington Town.

A rough head count numbered 80 odd sodden souls all huddled together under the roof of the stand.

The wooden benches were soaked with the sheeting rain sweeping across the stadium. Many a person seemed to be suffering from dreaded 'wet pant problems' come half time.

I've seen Saltash before and today they re-emphasised what a good footballing side they are (despite the terrible conditions). On a soggy top surface they still had the craft and quality to pass the ball about and create good chances. They really are a joy to watch when they apply those sweeping drives forward.

Credit to a battling Callington side who struggled to match Saltash for the first half hour. After 10 minutes they were a goal behind and under immense pressure. They never once threw the towel in and gradually fought themselves back into the match. They had at least 6 or 7 well created opportunities to draw level but it was one of those days for both sides, the ball just wouldn't go in the net.

Saltash got the second goal to seal the game very late on and I have to say they deserved the 3 points overall.

Saying that I'd probably give the man of the match award to the Callington keeper, he had a top-drawer performance today and kept the visitors in the hunt right until the death.

Quite a decent game considering the atrocious weather, we even got some traditional 'hand-bags' flare ups to keep us all amused. Always gets the crowd going.

Also nice to witness a very good refereeing performance, the programme had him down as Christopher Rea? Did a great job keeping a lid on things.

All credit to the Saltash ground staff as the pitch remained pretty much solid in depth throughout the many hours of non stop rain (think it all started Friday night).

I can understand why a good few people rate this Saltash side this season.

Launceston 1-2 Torpoint Athletic 

A game of two halves, Launceston played well in the first half with a goal from Jack Alexander. Then in the second half Torpoint came from behind with two goals from Kirk Smith, he scored the winner in 89th minute. The pitch was very wet and there was only half the floodlights working very disappointing, the corner by the wind turbine was very dark.

After a quick call to the clubhouse at Saltash to confirm the game was on i dusted the wife off for another outing to Saltash to watch what i hoped to be a full blooded local derby.  It didn't really disappoint, the only thing lacking was more goals, but as people have mentioned, this was purely down to so some superb goalkeeping from both keepers.  Saltash's goalkeeper arguably won them the game with 3 really good saves, 2 from shotgun like strkes from the callington striker being the picks of the bunch for him, this was at 1-0, however, by this time Saltash could have been well clear if it wasn't for Borthwicks performance in the callington goal. A couple of point blank saves in the first half, and a few in the 2nd half ensured saltash couldn't relax until the in form Ryan Richards struck a superb shot into the bottom corner leaving Borthwick with no chance. I heard what must have been a couple of regulars stood by the ticket booth at the entrance mention that Borthwick turned down the opportunity to sign for Saltash this season, i know he is a local lad so it seems strange that he didn't take the chance to sign. One negative for the afternoon saw a callington player get his marching orders for a 2nd yellow late on, couldn't really see what happned, it follwoed a couple of full blooded tackles which seemed to spark a few mele's late in the game, the disappointing thing for me was it seemed that everytime a foul was given against callington for a foul all but 2 or 3 saltash players raced from all over the pitch to sorround the ref and pressure him into to giving out a card, i would say, yes, the cards were justified but also it was a sign of tension amongst the saltash side knowing they hadn't yet sealed all 3 points at 1-0, but either way, it wasn't good to see.  I thought the officials had a relatively good game though. 

All in all, a good afternoon (apart from the weather), 2 of the best keepers in the league in fine form, some heroic defending by Callington, nice football from Saltash, a fine strike to seal the win and a very nice Oxo at half time capped the day off. The wife also bumped into an old colleague who was there with her husband too, so that kept her busy and saved me from having to attempt to explain the offside rule to her again. I feel sorry for the groundsman, he will have his work cut out in the coming days!!