Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup - 3rd Rd - Saturday January 14, 2017

Please feel free to post results, goalscorers and post-match comments

The RGB Cornwall Senior Cup

3rd Round

Bodmin Town    4-3              AFC St Austell (aet, 3-3 after 90 mins)

Carharrack          3-8              Torpoint Athletic (aet, 3-3 after 90 mins)

Falmouth Town     2-1             Camelford

Holman Sports Club         2=1              Porthleven (aet, 1-1 after 90 mins)

Ludgvan               4-0              Polperro             

Millbrook             4-1              Mousehole        

Newquay            4-3              St Day (aet, 2-2 after 90 mins)  

Saltash United       4-0        St Stephens Borough     

Some excellent games today! Well done to St Day and Carharrack for taking there games to ET against higher league opposition.

I would say im surprised at the wide margin result from Millbrook v Mousehole, although having not seen the game i can't comment to much.

I think you can say the pick of the QF ties is Torpoint V Falmouth

As for the game i saw today, Bodmin v St Austell, how much nicer would it be if players stopped over reacting to every single challenge. Things quitened down in ET im guessing tiredness set in, but it was enjoyable to watch the end to end slog as it became. Some great performances from 16-17 men on that field today! A decent battle again between the 2.

Well done to Carharrack who held out until two minutes into injury time. Torpoint were the better team in the second half but the scoreline was slightly flattering.

1-0 23m

1-1 27m

2-1 39m

3-1 46m

3-2 65m

3-3 90+2

94m 3-4

99m 3-5

101m 3-6

108m 3-7

112m 3-8

Biased yes but team of the day must go to the mid table combination league side Holmans beating higher league opposition and finding themselves in the QF of the senior cup for the first time in their history.........Now facing premier league table topping Saltash in the next round will probably mean an SF appearance is about as likely as Donald Trump being made chairman of the Mexican appreciation society but the lads have got a great away trip which i am sure they will enjoy and will treat it like a cup final #bustrip :drink:

Went to the big one... Bodmin Town 4 St Austell 3

Where do I begin. Could write 20 odd pages and not cover all that went on.

A roller-coaster ride of a wonderful football match which had all the elements of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly running through it.

I knew it would be a fire cracker waiting to go off and boy it certainly did.

The game had everything, some of it you want to see and some you definitely don't.

Undiluted drama, intrigue and suspense harpooned with blood, guts and glory.

End to end football which was a credit to this level of the game. Both sides should take a bow.

When you throw in the hotly disputed refereeing decisions and some extremely debatable rulings from the linesman it simply inflated the match to powder-keg proportions.

Despite the controversy I begrudgingly admired the way the officials handled the game and miraculously (more or less) kept the lid on things. Can't have been easy.

Some great goals today, some unlucky near misses and some absolute howlers of fluffed opportunities, it could have been 10-all believe me.

As the depths of pitch sapping extra time took it's toll something had to give and Bodmin drew the lucky card.

There was no coming back for St Austell when the final nail hit the coffin, Despite 5 minutes remaining they were truly on the vapours. The tank was empty and Bodmin had won a truly entertaining cup tie.

Fantastic stuff.  

Was a cracking cup tie Pitty end to end from both teams very well Reffed as always by Kev knowles and two good assistant refs . Appreciate the draw will be very tough but the bus is nearly ordered and rest assure if Holmans perform like today we won't come home with our tails between our legs. Tall order , yep possible, nope , can we win , nope . Reno & Jez will give the boys the best chance they can though. Well done to ludgvan for the next round and commiserations to st day and Joff 

Well done to all the winners today in the senior cup. 

Ludgvan club buzzing tonight with the home tie v Bodmin , would of been nice to meet them in Final thou as I had already booked my holidays from work that weekend lol. 

Serious thou we have come a long way in the last 6 years as a club and a dream tie for us. 

Nobody will give us a chance and I'm happy with that  but we can all dream can't we lol. 

A delighted manager tonight if a great bunch of lads and a great club and great supporters , anything can happen in the cup lol. 

St.Austell contingent very quiet this evening :yahoo:

Bodmin deserved winners I think, just shaded the 90 mins & we scored 4 times. Considering the amount of new players we have from last seasons squad, which obviously takes time to settle/gel  to go & beat St. Austell scoring 4 goals in the process is quite an achievement. Some might say with St.Austells  supposed financial clout & their established squad (played together for many years) some would say this is the biggest cup upset of the day. :thumbsup:Apart from Newquay finally winning (although making very hard work of St.Day of the Combination league, 100% Cornish & Smoking the dog will be very happy tonight 

26 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Bodmin deserved winners I think, just shaded the 90 mins & we scored 4 times. Considering the amount of new players we have from last seasons squad, which obviously takes time to settle/gel  to go & beat St. Austell scoring 4 goals in the process is quite an achievement. Some might say with St.Austells  supposed financial clout & their established squad (played together for many years) some would say this is the biggest cup upset of the day. :thumbsup:Apart from Newquay finally winning (although making very hard work of St.Day of the Combination league, 100% Cornish & Smoking the dog will be very happy tonight 

Leeds you always mention St Austell spending big money on expenses etc but let's be honest Bodmin aren't exactly paying pennies 

I have you know the boys have a panda pops, bag of golden wonder crisps & a free go on the Tombola after the game. They also take & turns taking the kit home & wash it. I heard it myself from a St.Austell supporter today his exacts words (Can't believe we are paying all this money to defend like we have last two games & now out of the cup!). That was the chaps full quotation, made me laugh! :yahoo:

2 hours ago, Hosky Mourinho said:

Well done to all the winners today in the senior cup. 

Ludgvan club buzzing tonight with the home tie v Bodmin , would of been nice to meet them in Final thou as I had already booked my holidays from work that weekend lol. 

Serious thou we have come a long way in the last 6 years as a club and a dream tie for us. 

Nobody will give us a chance and I'm happy with that  but we can all dream can't we lol. 

A delighted manager tonight if a great bunch of lads and a great club and great supporters , anything can happen in the cup lol. 

Hosky - don't write yourselves off, Bodmin are well beatable, you have a squad of players who play for each other - play your game and you can win. 

What a game at Mountwise between Newquay and St Day,had almost everything. Heard Newquay had 8 regulars out from a supporter had you could tell at times as they were made to work hard to get the result. Home team going 1 up, St Day awareded a very debatable penalty which the attacker going down very easy, within a minute St Day took the lead. Then it kicked off, a player from either team slide in for a 50/50 tackle which seamed fair on both parts but the away player seemed to dislike the tackle and a number of players started pushing each other only for the ref to send both players off. Minutes before the Newquay striker was clear through on goal and was taken out in a last man incident which the ref only brandished a yellow for. With minutes to goal Newquay grabbed a dramatic equaliser to take the tie into extra time, Newquay looked the fitter team a took control to make it 4-2 with St Day grabbing a consultation to end the match 3-3. Credit to St Day who didn't stop trying to play and get the ball foward and to Newquay in the next round.

8 hours ago, Cornishfan74 said:

What a game at Mountwise between Newquay and St Day,had almost everything. Heard Newquay had 8 regulars out from a supporter had you could tell at times as they were made to work hard to get the result. Home team going 1 up, St Day awareded a very debatable penalty which the attacker going down very easy, within a minute St Day took the lead. Then it kicked off, a player from either team slide in for a 50/50 tackle which seamed fair on both parts but the away player seemed to dislike the tackle and a number of players started pushing each other only for the ref to send both players off. Minutes before the Newquay striker was clear through on goal and was taken out in a last man incident which the ref only brandished a yellow for. With minutes to goal Newquay grabbed a dramatic equaliser to take the tie into extra time, Newquay looked the fitter team a took control to make it 4-2 with St Day grabbing a consultation to end the match 3-3. Credit to St Day who didn't stop trying to play and get the ball foward and to Newquay in the next round.

St.day debatable penalty? What about Newquay! Also wasn't a 50/50 newquay player went in late. Great game though.

6 minutes ago, S Abbo said:

Your always sticking up for st day... they cant do no wrong in your eyes lol.. good effort tho. 

Sounds like St. Day gave a good account of themselves,  a Premier Division Side at home should be beating a mid table team two leages below comfortably at Home, well done St.Day,  Torpoint eventually overcame a difficult fixture away at Carharrack & settled for 8 goals, pleased to of avoided them in the next round!

24 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Sounds like St. Day gave a good account of themselves,  a Premier Division Side at home should be beating a mid table team two leages below comfortably at Home, well done St.Day,  Torpoint eventually overcame a difficult fixture away at Carharrack & settled for 8 goals, pleased to of avoided them in the next round!

Newquay the ones hanging on hounding the ref squabbling amongst themselves for a neutral you would of thought the side in yellow were th senior side !!!! Well done St_Day ??

4 hours ago, willy7 said:

St.day debatable penalty? What about Newquay! Also wasn't a 50/50 newquay player went in late. Great game though.

Both penalties were spot on. Newquay player was late and deserved his red card the St Day player reacted very badly kicking and hitting out therefore had to go. Newquay were the better team over the whole match but only just, three key players missing but vast improvement needed !!

13 hours ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Newquay appear to have had 8 regulars missing all season!

As a St Day player, I have mixed emotions, following a game that was there for the taking, and a game that we were 5 minutes away from winning. We gave a great account of ourselves and I'm proud of the effort from every single person, players, management, supporters etc.

It was a great cup tie, which had a bit of everything, great goals, comebacks, a couple of penalties, a few handbags at one point and some contentious decisions.  A game that couldn't have been too easy to officiate, made even more difficult, with Ray Brown in the stand, assessing. 

In my opinion, some soft decisions were given, but on the whole, all 3 officials had a good game, especially the 16 year old linesman, whose name will come to me, later. 

Something that wasn't too pleasing was how easy the Newquay players were going down, with the slightest breeze blowing on them. Yet they were more than happy to stick 2 feet in. It started in the first 5 mins, with their skipper being booked, which could have produced a different coloured card on another day. Their number 9, Jack Scott, I believe. He was rolling around and then springing straight back up. He initiated contact with our centre half, resulting in the push back, which our centre half was booked for, but in no means was he the last man, as myself and another player were in close proximity. Eventually jack was punished and sent off for another two footed lunge, which resulted in a few handbags and our player also receiving his marching orders 

The game itself was full of chances and we looked dangerous going forward. The thing that won the game for Newquay, was decision making. It was typical, Harry Pawsey, was talking to me as the 90 approached, saying that he didn't think either side was fit enough for extra time, he didn't like my reply, when I said I'm training for a marathon and could run all day. But who was it, who popped up to score a great goal, into the top corner, making it 3-2, none other than Harry Pawsey.  We missed 2 great chances, right at the death to take the game to pens, but it wasn't to be. 

Like I said, It was a great game to be involved in, and I wish Newquay all the best. Just a bit disappointing that only 2 Newquay players were remaining in their own clubhouse, come 1700

I must also say, well done to Holmans, Ludgvan and Carharrack, flying the flag for the combination league, beating 2 good sides, and carharrack pushing Torpoint all the way, before finally running out of steam. 

8 hours ago, silly billy said:

At least the St Austell boys have cornish accents. 

Can we not applaud a really good game of football without certain elements of St Austell based support resorting to cheap digs about Bodmin Town.

What the hell has a Cornish accent got to do with a good game of football?

Some of the abuse and flak I have received on social media lately just because I mentioned how well Bodmin were doing takes me back to the dark days of racism.

Unfortunately, much as I admire St Austell for being a very decent football team, a lot of the derogatory remarks and ignorant posts appear to come from their supporter base.

I try to turn a blind eye to this, I've bought the T-Shirt on the slanted remarks business, especially as I was brought up in one of the rougher parts of Greater Manchester.

However, if we want to swop tales, I found it very difficult indeed to watch yesterdays Bodmin v St Austell game surrounded by extremely abusive and puerile St Austell supporters who seemed hell bent on putting down everything to do with the Bodmin club throughout the entire game. I had to move 3 times. It was that bad.

I am a neutral supporter of football. When I visit the Bodmin ground against other teams there is never a problem, only when St Austell are the opposition.

Perhaps I am missing a few chapters from the book here (local history wise), my apology if this is the case but why oh why all the bitterness towards the Bodmin club and their respective supporters? Even neutrals like me found it unacceptable. 

Check out the cosmopolitan mix of players & supporters of football clubs all across the UK, why should Cornwall be any different, it's part of our heritage and ongoing culture.

At least I hope it is?

6 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Can we not applaud a really good game of football without certain elements of St Austell based support resorting to cheap digs about Bodmin Town.

Some of the abuse and flak I have received on social media lately just because I mentioned how well Bodmin were doing takes me back to the dark days of racism.

Unfortunately, much as I admire St Austell for being a very decent football team, a lot of the derogatory remarks and ignorant posts appear to come from their supporter base.

I try to turn a blind eye to this, I've bought the T-Shirt on the slanted remarks business, especially as I was brought up in one of the rougher parts of Greater Manchester.

However, if we want to swop tales, I found it very difficult indeed to watch yesterdays Bodmin v St Austell game surrounded by extremely abusive and puerile St Austell supporters who seemed hell bent on putting down everything to do with the Bodmin club throughout the entire game. I had to move 3 times. It was that bad.

I am a neutral supporter of football. When I visit the Bodmin ground against other teams there is never a problem, only when St Austell are the opposition.

Perhaps I am missing a few chapters from the book here (local history wise), my apology if this is the case but why oh why all the bitterness towards the Bodmin club and their respective supporters? Even neutrals like me found it unacceptable. 

Check out the cosmopolitan mix of players & supporters of football clubs all across the UK, why should Cornwall be any different, it's part of our heritage and ongoing culture.

At least I hope it is?

I'm from bodmin, took my youngest son. I'm ashamed to say that due to the foul language from mainly the bodmin players including one shouting the c word that must of been heard all around the ground we won't be going again in a hurry.  The bodmin manager and coach were also giving expletives and setting a very poor example to any youngsters there watching. Oh and I'm not a racist 

13 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

At least I hope it is?

Dont worry, they like having digs at us due to our dominance in previous  years & after yesterdays result they want to fire digs on here as they couldn't beat us yesterday & we dumped them out the cup :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, silly billy said:

I'm from bodmin, took my youngest son. I'm ashamed to say that due to the foul language from mainly the bodmin players including one shouting the c word that must of been heard all around the ground we won't be going again in a hurry.  The bodmin manager and coach were also giving expletives and setting a very poor example to any youngsters there watching. Oh and I'm not a racist 

Sadly foul language and intimidation seems to be the trait of Bodmin Town. Witnessed this at Kimberley Stadium only last week.

On 14/01/2017 at 20:10, Uwdi Krugg said:

Went to the big one... Bodmin Town 4 St Austell 3

Where do I begin. Could write 20 odd pages and not cover all that went on.

A roller-coaster ride of a wonderful football match which had all the elements of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly running through it.

I knew it would be a fire cracker waiting to go off and boy it certainly did.

The game had everything, some of it you want to see and some you definitely don't.

Undiluted drama, intrigue and suspense harpooned with blood, guts and glory.

End to end football which was a credit to this level of the game. Both sides should take a bow.

When you throw in the hotly disputed refereeing decisions and some extremely debatable rulings from the linesman it simply inflated the match to powder-keg proportions.

Despite the controversy I begrudgingly admired the way the officials handled the game and miraculously (more or less) kept the lid on things. Can't have been easy.

Some great goals today, some unlucky near misses and some absolute howlers of fluffed opportunities, it could have been 10-all believe me.

As the depths of pitch sapping extra time took it's toll something had to give and Bodmin drew the lucky card.

There was no coming back for St Austell when the final nail hit the coffin, Despite 5 minutes remaining they were truly on the vapours. The tank was empty and Bodmin had won a truly entertaining cup tie.

Fantastic stuff.  

Thanks Udwi, I am in Spain for three weeks. I would've loved to been at the match. Bodmin v St Austell matches have become unmissable crackers. Disappointed with the result but we must move on .

17 hours ago, silly billy said:

Pop down to St.Blazey on Saturday, 1.00pm, Cornwall Under 18's v Sussex Under 18's. Different atmosphere all together, may even go myself.:c:

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Whats the problem with Gilby nipping over asking the Ref how many sugars he would like in his half time cup of tea? We respect our officials, not assault them!

Read the previous post  - "cup of tea at half-time" - there's a clue!

1 hour ago, scousemouse said:

Meaning what Mr Deacon?   But of a "cheap shot" from you there and I truly expected better.  Are you insinuating Matt Cusack would lower himself to foul and abusive language to the officials?

On 1/14/2017 at 23:11, leedsunited said:

Funny how LeedsUnited always mentions how much other teams pay their players.

Now i know of a player that was demanding a 2k signing on fee and £250 a game from the clubs he met during the pre-season, where did he end up......Bodmin. 

32 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Read the previous post  - "cup of tea at half-time" - there's a clue!

Sorry Dave Deacon, bot comedy is not one of your talents. You know what you meant in your first post and its slanderous. If you look closely at the photo, Matt Cusack was walking to the home dressing room, whereas, Gilbert walked across the pitch to confront the referee. Is it not a trait of Darren Gilbert to confront officials?

3 minutes ago, pastyman said:

Sorry Dave Deacon, bot com is not one of your talents. You know what you meant in your first post and its slanderous. If you look closely at the photo, Matt Cusack was walking to the home dressing room, whereas, Gilbert walked across the pitch to confront the referee. Is it not a trait of Darren Gilbert to confront officials?

You probably mean libellous rather than slanderous, but really if you haven't got a sense of humour for goodness sake, that's not my fault. Why do you think I put the smiley face there at the end

15 minutes ago, pastyman said:

Sorry Dave Deacon, bot comedy is not one of your talents. You know what you meant in your first post and its slanderous. If you look closely at the photo, Matt Cusack was walking to the home dressing room, whereas, Gilbert walked across the pitch to confront the referee. Is it not a trait of Darren Gilbert to confront officials?

You are an absolute whopper if you truly believe that,  every manager complains to refs at some point, get over yourself, everyone also knows Saltash are over exceeding expectations this year, normally whoever pays the most wins the most..... Bore off 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

You probably mean libellous rather than slanderous, but really if you haven't got a sense of humour for goodness sake, that's not my fault. Why do you think I put the smiley face there at the end

Libellous, slanderous, call it what you may, but Matt Cusack does not have a reputation for foul and abusive language to officials. To accuse him  of such is unfair.

13 minutes ago, pastyman said:

Libellous, slanderous, call it what you may, but Matt Cusack does not have a reputation for foul and abusive language to officials. To accuse him  of such is unfair.

Show me where I have accused him of anything apart from possibly offering the ref a cup of tea and I would agree with you. ?

Ps the ? suggests a post made with humour which either obviously sidestepped you, or my sense of humour is even worse than I thought  :yahoo:

Edited by Dave Deacon
Spelling