Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway top men stand down!

Kevin Hendy and Darren Stewart have stood down at SWPL Premier Division applicants Plymouth Parkway.

Saturday saw them lose 5-4 to fellow title contenders AFC St Austell after holding a 2-0 lead. The afternoon hadn’t started too well for them as they went into the game without 7 of their squad. Only 3 subs were named, 2 of whom were from their reserve side.

With games coming up against Tiverton Town Reserves on Saturday and then a visit to league leaders Saltash United the following Saturday, no doubt the club will want to move quickly to ensure their promotion push is not affected.

The players were told of this after training last night.

The club's chairman Mark Russell would like to add on behalf of the club :-

"Kevin and Darren have stepped down as managers of Plymouth Parkway with immediate effect. The club would like to place on record their thanks to both Kevin and Darren and wish them all the best for the future. The club will now start the task of speaking to potential new candidates for the role. Further announcements will be made when available."

2 hours ago, TURNIP TED said:

It was on the cards.  Enter Mr Hilson

I heard this was in the pipeline on Monday from a current Parkway player! I also said Wayne Hilson, but from what I was told they want a complete shake up with to many players & regimes going/gone stale In recent years. My mole told me not to be suprised if you see a new fresh manager go in there & shake things up. The names he mentioned were Leigh Cooper & Alan Carey (after his previous championship success & what he achieved last season at St.Blazey) both with a lot of contacts.

Parkway always seem to go for the same managers who has the same links to the same group of players. So unless they get a manager who isn't affiliated to all the usual suspects, they won't get anywhere. Probably Wayne or Hobbs will take the reigns. Would be refreshing to see someone new. 

About time really... When you sign players like Josh Zimmerman, you are asking for trouble.

i would like to see Lee Britchford given the chance at Plymouth Parkway. A young and upcoming gaffa who would bring some fantastic players.

Also, Kevin Bowden from Vospers Oak Villa who is doing miracles at the club.

46 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Parkway always seem to go for the same managers who has the same links to the same group of players. So unless they get a manager who isn't affiliated to all the usual suspects, they won't get anywhere. Probably Wayne or Hobbs will take the reigns. Would be refreshing to see someone new. 

I was told that becase of this (same faces no silverware) that is why there have Leigh Cooper & Alan Carey on their shortlist. 

Long time in coming, recruitment has been a shambles& they are about as hard as diarrhoea .

Strong rumours circulating that Phil Lafs is wanted at PPFC. Good options could also be, That young st.blazey manager, he is performing wonders down here.

Exmouth for the title by the way.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Long time in coming, recruitment has been a shambles& they are about as hard as diarrhoea .

Strong rumours circulating that Phil Lafs is wanted at PPFC. Good options could also be, That young st.blazey manager, he is performing wonders down here.

Typical , the newbees are on here now.

15 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

I was told that becase of this (same faces no silverware) that is why there have Leigh Cooper & Alan Carey on their shortlist. 

Once decent managers, out of touch now. Can't see those 2 candidates bringing anything to the table. Leigh has been out a while, Alan Carey contacts are all 35+ 

May be a lone voice but I actually think that Darren and Kevin have done a decent job - having watched Parkway several times they have a great club/ team and I would love to see them finish top 3 and get promoted - but I suppose results count and they will need to push on to get top 3 - but there again maybe the players need to look at themselves - they certainly play better 'football' than the likes of Bodmin / St Austell or Tavvy, just don't get over the line with points (that count).

Speculation over managers must be 'daft' - Parkway are now run on a solid business footing - I would bet they have already approached and arranged a new manager and will show respect by allowing a couple of days before going public.. All those mentioned on here would add nothing to the club and the club actually only need 2/3 players to get those extra points needed - could possibly have made the decision a week earlier as the next fixtures are very difficult..

Whatever happens - good luck to PPFC, at least a local club showing ambition.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Phillip Laffs is still running St.Austell, just not in the dugout! :yahoo:

It's been on the cards for a while now. The results and performances recently just haven't been good enough. They haven't done a bad job, but since the merger it's obvious the plan is to get promoted, and I don't believe they were the right management team to take the club up. Whoever takes over now will have a difficult task, as the pressure from both the hierarchy and the fans is high, with both expecting promotion come May, yet find themselves off the pace. A new centre half and striker would see them over the line, but it's whether they can be found, and whether they'd want to move now

9 hours ago, leedsunited said:

I heard this was in the pipeline on Monday from a current Parkway player! I also said Wayne Hilson, but from what I was told they want a complete shake up with to many players & regimes going/gone stale In recent years. My mole told me not to be suprised if you see a new fresh manager go in there & shake things up. The names he mentioned were Leigh Cooper & Alan Carey (after his previous championship success & what he achieved last season at St.Blazey) both with a lot of contacts.

Like we can believe a word that comes out of your mouth.......

Cant believe what ATL has said....obviously hasn't a clue about football at all!!!!

I have watched the lad Zimmerman at least 5 times this season and apart from maybe two other CB in the league, he has been the best.

The only CB I have seen this season to man mark Glynn Hobbs out of the game.

Kev Bowden and Lee Britchford......nice lads but your dreaming, go back to sleep.......

I had a conversation with a couple of people yesterday, both of which are heavily involved in 2 SWPL teams and apparently Stuart Henderson was approached but he has turned it down.

It does seem mad that Kevin and Darren didn't feel they had the backing and then to see others on here saying they aren't surprised, they haven't been doing great etc.  We are halfway through the season and they have only lost 2 league games, ok they have drawn 8 which probably isn't too pleasing on the eye when you look at the league, but if you look at the league, nobody would have predicted Saltash to have the season they are having (full credit to them!), then take out Argyle who are essentially a number in the league because of their restrictions for promotion etc, and once you do that, Parkway are not in a bad position to go up.  They will need someone to come in and hit the ground running because if they genuinely want the promotion unlike a couple years ago where it was all talk until crunch time came and they pulled out, then they can't afford too many more slip ups.

2 hours ago, secretscout said:

I had a conversation with a couple of people yesterday, both of which are heavily involved in 2 SWPL teams and apparently Stuart Henderson was approached but he has turned it down.

It does seem mad that Kevin and Darren didn't feel they had the backing and then to see others on here saying they aren't surprised, they haven't been doing great etc.  We are halfway through the season and they have only lost 2 league games, ok they have drawn 8 which probably isn't too pleasing on the eye when you look at the league, but if you look at the league, nobody would have predicted Saltash to have the season they are having (full credit to them!), then take out Argyle who are essentially a number in the league because of their restrictions for promotion etc, and once you do that, Parkway are not in a bad position to go up.  They will need someone to come in and hit the ground running because if they genuinely want the promotion unlike a couple years ago where it was all talk until crunch time came and they pulled out, then they can't afford too many more slip ups.

The problem is the recent games. Even down to 10 men Parkway should've beaten Ivybridge on Boxing Day, the victory away at Cullompton was lucky to say the least. Granted, not many Parkway fans would've expect a positive result against St Austell, but given the position of being 3-2 up against 10 men, there is no way Parkway should've lost...but they did. Things need shaking up, and Kev and Darren aren't the right men for that

Personally feel Kevin Hendy and Darren Stewart have been harshly treated.

No team is storming away with the league and all the chasing pack have had their off days.

Parkway always played decent football on the occasions I have seen them this season (and played the game the right way).

If the St Austell defeat was the deciding factor, didn't Parkway go into that game with less than half a fit side and reduced subs on the bench? Can't really blame Kevin and Darren for those types of situations... can we?

Simply cannot see anyone popping up in the dug out with a big magic wand. There is no cushy settling in period, it's dog eat dog every game from now on.

The possibility of a lack of momentum at this crucial stage of the season alongside potential negative player attitudes could be an unforeseen by-product of this decision.

If the club were obviously dropping well behind in the title chase fair enough. This was not the case. Perhaps a bit more confidence should have been awarded.

Be interesting to see how things pan out?