Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Saturday January 21 2017

Please feel free to post result, goalscorers, post-match comments etc

Saturday January 21 (3 pm unless otherwise stated)

CARLSBERG SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

Premier Division

Cullompton Rangers

Godolphin Atlantic

Exmouth Town

Callington Town

Falmouth Town

Tavistock

Ivybridge Town

Bodmin Town

Newquay

Helston Athletic

Saltash United

Plymouth Parkway

St Austell

Camelford

Tiverton Town Reserves

P

Launceston

P

Frozen pitch - rearranged for Wednesday March 29 (7.30 pm)

Division One (East)

Budleigh Salterton

Bovey Tracey

Crediton United

Alphington

Exwick Villa

Torridgeside

Sidmouth Town

Galmpton United

St Martins

Brixham

Teignmouth

Appledore

Totnes & Dartington

Axminster Town

University of Exeter

Liverton United

Division One (West)

Dobwalls

Elburton Villa

Holsworthy

Wadebridge Town

Mousehole

Penryn Athletic

Plymouth Marjon

Liskeard Athletic

Plymstock United

Illogan RBL

St Dennis

Bude Town

Vospers Oak Villa

Sticker

Wendron United

Millbrook

Great win for us today at Ivybridge who eventually run out of Gas & we capsized big style. We really turned it on at times & was pleasing on the eye. With Saltash, Tavistock both winning it was important we got 3 points & also improved our goal difference column. Comiserations to Leezo in his first fixture & defeat with Plymouth Parkway, all the best Leez. 

8 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Great win for us today at Ivybridge who eventually run out of Gas & we capsized big style. We really turned it on at times & was pleasing on the eye. With Saltash, Tavistock both winning it was important we got 3 points & also improved our goal difference column. Comiserations to Leezo in his first fixture & defeat with Plymouth Parkway, all the best Leez. 

Dear Leeds, I don't think that there is much evidence that Bodmin capsized, they do however appear to have capitalised on Ivybridges' lack of stamina!

9 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Dear Leeds, I don't think that there is much evidence that Bodmin capsized, they do however appear to have capitalised on Ivybridges' lack of stamina!

Well done Bruegel, I was on the old Tia Maria & Lucozade last night, potent stuff if you sip 2/3!! Must of affected my spelling! Scoring 8 away from home I meant 'Capitalised!' :thumbsup:

Congratulations to Glyn & County youth kids, cracking result. Made me chuckle last night when one of the St.Blazey supporters said thats the first time we have had a 'Winning team' in the home dressing room for months! 

So Camelfords game against argyle has been cancelled because argyle have an under 21 game the next day. Yesterday Camelford went to St Austell without 5 county youth players plus three other absentees because the SWPL refused to move the fixture, double standards or what. I think it's a question of who you are . Rules for the rich different from those of the poor. 

11 minutes ago, hoppit said:

So Camelfords game against argyle has been cancelled because argyle have an under 21 game the next day. Yesterday Camelford went to St Austell without 5 county youth players plus three other absentees because the SWPL refused to move the fixture, double standards or what. I think it's a question of who you are . Rules for the rich different from those of the poor. 

Good point.

23 minutes ago, hoppit said:

If it comes from Me, it looks sour grapes, as my Bodmin connection. Its most certainly double standards & credit must go to Reg for publicly moaning as if that was me I would be extremely dissapointed. Also no fault of St.Austell either, they must be laughing all week when they knew the fixture would stand. Seems as if Camelford being punished for producing good youngsters

1 hour ago, Barca said:

Hi Leeds, should that have read "not" publicly moaning? I know the Camels would obviously like to switch these fixtures but their support for the County side is not in question. 

Correct, it should read 'Not' publicly moaning, my bad!! Im still struggling from the effects of the Tia Maria & lucozade! 

2 hours ago, hoppit said:

Exactly, and if you are based in Devon there is no question that you can have favours from the swpl   agreed upon !

2 hours ago, hoppit said:

Hoppit - it is a real shame and as Leeds has said credit must go to all at Camelford for not moaning about the SWPL decision. Credit must also go to the 6 players (who usually play 6 leagues lower) who stepped up in what was always going to be a very challenging game. They did exceptionally well and gave their best.

Of slight disappointment was the 'antics' of some of the St Austell players (rolling around and screaming at the ref at every opportunity). And as is common, 'bigger' teams seem to be allowed to get away without reproach from the referee. Real shame for such a great club - their players are good enough and don't need to do it and some of the spectators behaviour is an embarrassment.

Hopefully the SWPL and opposing teams will show sportsmanship when the next SW Counties Championship match takes place on 4 Feb and the National Semi Final  

8 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Hoppit - it is a real shame and as Leeds has said credit must go to all at Camelford for not moaning about the SWPL decision. Credit must also go to the 6 players (who usually play 6 leagues lower) who stepped up in what was always going to be a very challenging game. They did exceptionally well and gave their best.

Of slight disappointment was the 'antics' of some of the St Austell players (rolling around and screaming at the ref at every opportunity). And as is common, 'bigger' teams seem to be allowed to get away without reproach from the referee. Real shame for such a great club - their players are good enough and don't need to do it and some of the spectators behaviour is an embarrassment.

Hopefully the SWPL and opposing teams will show sportsmanship when the next SW Counties Championship match takes place on 4 Feb and the National Semi Final  

This "antics" of players "rolling around and screaming at the ref at every opportunity" truly demonstrates the  "girly" attitude of some of the modern day players. What has happened to the "men of steel" attitude? I personally think these players ought to "man up" and simply "brush" themselves off and get on with it. When I played, I would simply ask the player who fouled me, if that was the best he could do and get on with the game. The lad Trott at Saltash clearly demonstrates the will to get on with it, despite being on the receiving end of some harsh tackles.

1 hour ago, scousemouse said:

This "antics" of players "rolling around and screaming at the ref at every opportunity" truly demonstrates the  "girly" attitude of some of the modern day players. What has happened to the "men of steel" attitude? I personally think these players ought to "man up" and simply "brush" themselves off and get on with it. When I played, I would simply ask the player who fouled me, if that was the best he could do and get on with the game. The lad Trott at Saltash clearly demonstrates the will to get on with it, despite being on the receiving end of some harsh tackles.

The bloke who plays upfront for St Austell is a typical example of bad attitude, a good striker at this level but has the persona of a gutter snipe, always moaning at the ref and  the crowd  he tries to get opponents sent off  which is abhorent. Got away with an awful lot yesterday.

56 minutes ago, hoppit said:

The bloke who plays upfront for St Austell is a typical example of bad attitude, a good striker at this level but has the persona of a gutter snipe, always moaning at the ref and  the crowd  he tries to get opponents sent off  which is abhorent. Got away with an awful lot yesterday.

Same can be said about the number 7, Sullivan for Bodmin. Moans and groans to the ref, full of foul and abusive language.

28 minutes ago, Outsider said:

It is a pity that a minority of St. Austell players have to confront the referees on almost every occasion they give decisions against them. It never achieves anything. The referees never change their decisions.

It is not about the last decision. it is all about looking to influence the next one the referee has to make.

22 hours ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Seemed a good crowd at Saltash today . Not sure how many , but I would say more than half were Parkway fans.

Saltash 3  Parkway 2.

Ryan Richards was a class act today scoring 3 times and the first was an overhead cracker. Disappointed not to come away with a point , but feel the best team won.  

How Parkway could have done with Ryan Richards this season. Always been questions about his attitude, but never about his ability as a poacher and being able to lead the front line.

14 points behind the top two with 14 games to play, is that just about it for the promotion bid?

35 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

It is not about the last decision. it is all about looking to influence the next one the referee has to make.

Way of the Park - you are correct, but if the next decision the referee made was to card the player it would soon cut it out.

I know that players want to assert themselves on a game but it ruins the game as a spectator sport - players quality should be enough.   

4 hours ago, hoppit said:

Totally agree with this statement!! did exactly the same against Bodmin in the senior cup ..

17 hours ago, hoppit said:

12 hours ago, beacon said:

Totally agree with this statement!! did exactly the same against Bodmin in the senior cup ..

Agreed. Was quite literally 4-5 yards offside on several occassions on Saturday (could see clear as day as a spectator). However of course in his mind he wasn't offside and continued to call the linesman '******* useless'. Similarly, a Camelford player makes a tackle along with the St Austell striker, both make a fair and committed tackle. The St Austell striker then gets up making sure that he tramples over the Camelford player at every opportunity on the way back to his feet. The Camelford player in turn retaliates (which of course is also wrong) and grabs the St Austell strikers leg. Several expletives are used by both players and also the short centre mid for St Austell (Hart or something?), who in fact called the referee a particular word beginning with a 'C' whilst the ref was about 2 metres away. Of the 3 players...which one gets booked? No prizes for guessing! :thumbsup:

As a neutral quite new to the SWPL and having seen a lot of the Premier sides this season I have to agree with a lot of comments in this thread.

St Austell are a good football side with some really decent players but they continually seem to let themselves down.

Their problem is basically diving, abusing officials and general play-acting, especially when they can rely on a certain element of very biased and unpleasantly vociferous supporters to further pressurise the referee and linesmen.

It is something I have never witnessed in non league to such a sizeable and regular degree before. St Austell seem to employ these tactics every game.

I sincerely hope the SWPL and the beleaguered Officials take the opportunity to review the antics that are habitually taking place when St Austell are involved in a game.

Perhaps some of the good people behind the scenes at the club can have an influential word 'in-house'. We get more than enough diving and cheating with football on TV, We can certainly do without it in Non League circles.

No disrespect intended.

I think it is fair to say that the attitude of Saltash is a fair reflection of that of their manager who always seemed to come over as intelligent and respectful at least when he played for Falmouth.

Proof to some of the other managers that there is another way!

All the above having been said I still cant quite understand why the refs don't caution the players more often for the verbal battering they get.  No other sport puts up with it.  Issue a set of guidelines if required to the clubs and to the refs and then back the refs up when they start to throw the book around.  It would all soon stop if EVERYONE implemented the rules and sides went down to 8/9 men!

35 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

I think it is fair to say that the attitude of Saltash is a fair reflection of that of their manager who always seemed to come over as intelligent and respectful at least when he played for Falmouth.

Proof to some of the other managers that there is another way!

All the above having been said I still cant quite understand why the refs don't caution the players more often for the verbal battering they get.  No other sport puts up with it.  Issue a set of guidelines if required to the clubs and to the refs and then back the refs up when they start to throw the book around.  It would all soon stop if EVERYONE implemented the rules and sides went down to 8/9 men!

The refs could help the situation  by being more down to earth rather than playing God !

2 hours ago, TURNIP TED said:

Interesting how well Saltash are doing , not sure how much this is due to Dane Bunney ?

The success at Saltash United is down to working as a team. Dane is part of a team, Brian the groundsman is part of a team too.  All too easy to "knock" success.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Shame to see all these tears on this thread. A shame really, jealousy is an awful thing...

Exmouth coming up the rear very fast and will snatch the league at the last. 

You heard it here first.

WOOOOO

Good effort going on there Pastyman. Saltash have always been a good team ( most seasons ) . They deserve this this.

I heard the crowd was a large % of Plymouth Parkway fans ?

I remember a few seasons ago when Dane Bunney was managing other teams in lower leagues and people were constantly questioning his management skills & basically taking the .  

I'm glad he's now a great club like Saltash & they are top of the league.  He's Worked hard, kept his head down & is now reaping the rewards. 

A big you to all the haters. 

We'll done Dane & the rest of the team at Saltash, I for one hope you go on to win the league.