Cornwall Football Forum

Kevin Richard takes charge at Godolphin

We are delighted to announce that Kevin Richards has been appointed to the position of first team manager of Godophin Atlantic FC. Kevin will be assisted by Martin Pennington and Dave Leonard.

We would like to welcome the guys to the club and look forward to watching their progress in getting our first team back on course to push back towards the top end of the division after a difficult season.

Kevin will bring experience, knowledge  and ambition and likes his teams to play the game the right way. He has taken up the challenge of getting us back on track despite the considerable budget restraints at the club.

Welcome on board and good luck fellas,

Derek Martin

Director of Football

Godolphin Atlantic Football Club  

Good luck Kevin, not sure if he will be strong enough to enforce changes at Godolphin, will certainly be a players dressing room for sure, maybe that's what  the hierarchy wanted. But good luck Kevin, a big ask & commitment traveling from far West every week, but respect to you for having a go. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the G Kevin, good luck for the season, unfortunately I won't be around to see much of it, but looking forward to seeing pre-season friendlies and first few games of the season.

You'll love it great bunch of lads and great club.

All the best 

Andy Savage 

So the G have got there new manager hope he does well bit of a journey from down Potheleven awful bloody roads from there as well maybe he will bring some of the Porthelevn players to Godolphin Way and get them back playing like they know they can because after Christmas they just went to pieces .Jamie and Russ did a great job at the G but u could see the team was struggling without Jamie in the team and Sean in goal .Lookin forward to pre season getting withdrawal symptons but got a nice weekend in London to watch Exeter City vs Blackpool and Cornwall vs Lancashire and Exeter Chiefs vs Wasps and i get to see my son as well so should be great

Just so you know, I actually live in Camborne so only half hour up the road for me. We are really looking forward to the challenge knowing we have the full support of the committee & hopefully all the players. We know how lucky we are to be taking on such a talented & close knit squad & our aim is to get them playing the type of football they are renowned for, buying in to what we ask of them & together we will bring more success to this brilliant club.

On 24/05/2017 at 06:12, leedsunited said:

Good luck Kevin, not sure if he will be strong enough to enforce changes at Godolphin, will certainly be a players dressing room for sure, maybe that's what  the hierarchy wanted. But good luck Kevin, a big ask & commitment traveling from far West every week, but respect to you for having a go. :thumbsup:

Not sure what you're trying to achieve with this cryptic comment - perhaps I'm playing into your hands by responding but here goes.....

The G management clearly have confidence in Kevin and he will have their full support. I'm sure that the players will back him too and give him every chance to succeed. 

I don't know Kevin Richards but respect the knowledge of the people who appointed him and wish him well

Don't let Leeds wind you up Brazilian, that's what he lives for! Comes up with the odd bit of sense but 80% of what he puts on here is garbage. Think he writes most of it after coming out of Blazey club after drinking about a dozen of his cocktails. Good luck to Kevin, a well respected manager and former player down West, and an absolute gentleman as well. Will bring a bit of class to any club and a man that players want to play for. Think Godolphin have made a wise choice, could be a really good fit in my opinion. ?

Well said Sticker Forever and good luck to Kevin and his team, he has a great reputation down West via Mullion and Porthleven. My only, very slight, reservation would be about 'pulling power' for players. 

Godolphin play to a very sensible budget, and over last season (end of 2015/2016 and end of 2016/2017) we're not good, they seemed to drop off at the end of each season. Missing Jamie and with a small squad (some of whom under performed last season) there is little doubt that their squad could do with a little refreshing.

Godolphin (like Porthleven) have some good young players, who Kevin will develop - but can he bring in any 'marque' players - especially with other clubs looking to do the same. Hope he can as Godolphin are a great club and wish them all well for the coming season. 

Like to wish Kev all the best also. A hard but fair defender back in his hey day and always a tough 90 minutes against Kev but always first man to shake your hand at the final whistle and great company in the bar after. Doing the Indy Combo reports the last few years I had the pleasure of speaking to Kev most Saturdays after the games when he masterminded Mullions title winning Combo season a few years back and he talks a lot of sense, proper football man, don't get too carried away with his success but don't make excuses on the odd occasion they lost, tells you how it is. Don't think you'll find too many having a bad word to say about Kev and I think he's a great choice for Godolphin who are a club that have made unbelievable strides themselves over the last 10 years or so on and off the pitch. As someone has already said, think it could be a good fit and partnership.

Seems like a smart appointment, Godolphin needed a manager that is fairly local and isn't going to be reliant on big money to lure players. The ethos around Godolphin has always been local players playing on a small budget and still doing consistently well. Don't think the new manager will need to bring many in, just needs to keep the squad motivated each week and I can see a them doing well this year, possibly nick 1/2 from the other local team.

1 hour ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Seems like a smart appointment, Godolphin needed a manager that is fairly local and isn't going to be reliant on big money to lure players. The ethos around Godolphin has always been local players playing on a small budget and still doing consistently well. Don't think the new manager will need to bring many in, just needs to keep the squad motivated each week and I can see a them doing well this year, possibly nick 1/2 from the other local team.

What local team would that be?? I can see Godolphin doing well under new leadership as well this season. With Derek Martin being on the scene again he will not except failure. 

Kevin looks to of set his stall out already, was Boogie Boarding with the grandchildren today at the renowned surf paradise Gorran Beach where I bumped in to a very optimistic G fan who tells me they have signed Connor Jamison from neighbours Newquay. Good signing, the only Newquay player that impressed me when I saw them play 5/6 times  last season. After the dreadful season Newquay had last season this will be a Huge blow to them

2 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Would not think Connor Jamison would be going anywhere until he pays Newquay the money he owes them,the most

sent off and booked player for many a year at Newquay.

Sour grapes there Bazzer it looks like. Putting obstacles in the way of him joining a better side, never stand in the way of player progression. Poor lad does not need his financial details branded around to all on here! 

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Sour grapes there Bazzer it looks like. Putting obstacles in the way of him joining a better side, never stand in the way of player progression. Poor lad does not need his financial details branded around to all on here! 

No, no, no Leeds, If you can't afford the fines don't indulge in the type of behaviour that attracts them. Players, like all young people have to learn that you have to take responsibility for your actions, not run away and expect others (in this case the Club) to pick up the tab. Just like foul language, you have to own it, pay the price, and stop doing it!

People are starting to talk for the player themselves, from what I know, Connor was a true clubman with Newquay, playing through the youth system, playing every week for the Swpl team and also helping the reserves when they were struggling, as well as coaching the Newquay youth teams, I'm sure he will be looking to pay fines before the season and can't be blamed for wanting to play for a team with higher ambitions.

12 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Connor should be a good addition to a fine team and good bunch of lads hope the G sign more players would love to se Jack Bray Evans in a Godolphin blue shirt also would like to see another goalie in place cant wait for the season to start

Classic 100% pining for Shaun semmens back, they could have de gea and he still wouldn't cut the mustard.

Is the appointment still looking so good?

It appears Kevin has lost the services of Martin Pennington (at the moment?) and has lost Sims and Carne to Porthleven, without any quality coming in. 

As an aside Porthleven - other than these two, now have the other Sims and Casley from St Blazey and Kellow from Helston (and another two new signings on Twitter) so appear to be showing aspirations under Alan Carey. 

Why would you doubt the appointment now Bobjfh? Just because Sims has left & Carne have left? Carne is a good player & will be at West level no doubt, but how many times did he feature for Godolphin last season? Boy Sims different scenario, seen his career deteriorate in the last 3/4 seasons, Plymouth Argyle, Truro City St.Austell, St.Blazey, Godolphin, & now Porthleven! A few criticised him last season for his performances, would he get in a full strength Godolphin side? On a positive note it looks like Alan Carey is adding some experience, how did he not get a Premier Division job?? Told  he applied for at least 2 ( St.Austell, Helston) Good luck to both clubs with new managerial changes

Leeds my concern remains the same from when Kevin (who I think is a great manager) was appointed, it is his 'pulling power' for new SWPL Prem players - the G's run a small squad - they lost their keeper last season - they have now lost at least three players with no sign of anyone new coming in - two of those players Lowry and Sims (no he didn't have a great season but in spells was an influential players for them) were key to them last season. 

Once one or two or three players go, unless other new quality players come in, others will start looking, especially some of the younger players who were not part of the Godolphin's rise (like the lad Cheshire who had three SWPL Prem and one Duchy one team last season alone). Hope I'm wrong. 

I can't believe for one second with his family connections & history to the G he would play elsewhere, so not really lost Lowry as a player to another club but only as a manager? Phil Lowry who is always a handful will still be there, & I am told he is a big influence on all players around him, a good leader. You could argue Sims wouldn't get in the team anyway, plus Godolphin  have signed the only good player from  Newquay had last season in Connor Jamison, I would say Godolphin will be just fine. Small, close knit squad of players, that stick together & have gave their all for the Godolphin cause, I am pretty sure they will not just roll over, not with Derek Martin watching over them!

The G have signed Connor Jamieson and got Kyle Brown back this season after missing most of last season and hes worth a new signing im sure the G people know what they are doing and wont sign any old player i heard 1 Player at Newquay is on £60 a match hope this is not true and they have a better season than last but they need to sort out that defence over a 100 goals let in that is awful .Looking forward to seein the G and Newquay in pre season as well as trips to Bodmin ,St Austell and Truro