Cornwall Football Forum

MOUSEHOLE - a club with a plan for the future

Here's the first in a series of regular articles over the summer on the various aspects of the Mousehole's new 5-year plan. 

This first one from the club is a ‘signing off’ of the season just finished, together with a foretaste of the things to come.

MOUSEHOLE AFC CLUB STATEMENT: END-OF-SEASON REPORT

“A season of two halves”

The Seagulls’ 2016/17 campaign was marked by the unexpected mid-season departure of player-manager Wayne Quinn and assistant Mark Vercesi, followed by half of the squad they had brought to Trungle Parc.  The club’s public statement paid tribute to Wayne and Mark as the architects of the most successful three-year period in the club’s history, including a championship and cup winning ‘double’ that broke several league records. 

The second half of the season saw the club pull together in the face of the new challenges. 

On the playing side, Steve Parker-Billinge, the first-team goalkeeper, was appointed player-manager and his newly assembled team, joined by players promoted from the Reserves and supplemented by some new signings, battled against the odds to finish the season in winning form in 6th place in the South West Peninsula League West Division, having dropped only one place since the January changes.  The Reserves, however, found themselves short of numbers and despite new arrivals struggled to gain enough points to climb out of the relegation zone in the Trelawny League Premier Division.  In the meantime, Mousehole Women had their most successful season, finishing in a best-ever 4th-place in the Cornwall Women’s League.  

“The comeback is stronger than the setback”

The club has created fresh opportunity from the successes of the last 3-year plan, during which over £200,000 was invested in its infrastructure.  The committee recognised the enormous support and goodwill shown to the club as it pulled together on all fronts, and has resolved to use its positivity, vision and energy to devise and implement a new more innovative and ambitious five-year strategy.  The overall aim is to enable the club to realise its full potential both on and off the pitch, developing all aspects of the club in an integrated, sustainable and step-by-step manner. 

Chairman Tim Richardson said:  “These are exciting times for Mousehole AFC.  Over the coming weeks, we will be unveiling one by one the various initiatives in our new strategy, which will demonstrate our ambition and determination to become the top club in Cornwall.  A final big thank you to all who have contributed to our last three years’ success, and an even bigger “let’s make this happen” to all those committed to the next five”.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:00, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Best of luck to them from me ...but the geography is a killer.

I have been to Mousehole twice to watch Falmouth play when it was rewarding to support away matches. I must admit it was the friendliest club I have been to apart from Helston and the officials there were happy to engage in conversation. Good luck to you and you would have my full support if I lived closer.      

9 hours ago, BIG AL said:

I have been to Mousehole twice to watch Falmouth play when it was rewarding to support away matches. I must admit it was the friendliest club I have been to apart from Helston and the officials there were happy to engage in conversation. Good luck to you and you would have my full support if I lived closer.      

I like all the clubs down that way - all proper old school.

Just now, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I like all the clubs down that way - all proper old school.

Such a shame Penzance are no longer in top flight football - one of the oldest clubs. Will they ever be top flight again - such a lovely ground and hospitality.