Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST Austell Vs Cardiff City - Thursday 20th July - KO 7.30pm - Pre-season Friendly

Back from this match score was 2-2 whan i left St AUSTELL playing very well  Will tinsley the pick of the players and Liam Eddy having  a fine game ,left early soaked through and poor Smokie was wet and cold was hoping Neil  Warnock may of been there with his 1st team players but there was no sign of him.i didnt hear the 50 /50 draw my no was 10895 and also i paid my £5 to get in i then bought a program and 50/50 ticket and was only given a £1 back u buggers owe me £2 lol St Austell will be a force again this season impressed with there 2 new signings Dan Richardson and  Kirk Davies  I was hoping more of Cardiffs 1st team where playing tonight but only 2 squad players played Decln John and Ibi Meite  .So thats the end of my week of footy watching back to my knitting now

Have to agree with you 100% it was a bit disapointing not to see more 1st team playing last night, but never mind. A great game of football none the less for a fiver. Liam Eddy is different class, such a clever forward, its hard to believe hes not playing at a higher level. Snozzel with be there or there abouts of that you can be sure .:c:

12 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Back from this match score was 2-2 whan i left St AUSTELL playing very well  Will tinsley the pick of the players and Liam Eddy having  a fine game ,left early soaked through and poor Smokie was wet and cold was hoping Neil  Warnock may of been there with his 1st team players but there was no sign of him.i didnt hear the 50 /50 draw my no was 10895 and also i paid my £5 to get in i then bought a program and 50/50 ticket and was only given a £1 back u buggers owe me £2 lol St Austell will be a force again this season impressed with there 2 new signings Dan Richardson and  Kirk Davies  I was hoping more of Cardiffs 1st team where playing tonight but only 2 squad players played Decln John and Ibi Meite  .So thats the end of my week of footy watching back to my knitting now

St Austell looked very good in spells and again provided a great advert for local grass roots football! Eddy is looking sharp coming into the season - an outside bet for top scorer perhaps? 

The league is looking much more competitive this year I feel, and whilst Parkway are the favourites, I wouldn't discredit Saltash, St Austell or Tavy just yet - all have added to their squad. 

Tavi gor hammered last night versus Grimsby town i think Bodmin will be in top half of the league as well but  very impressed with  St Austell last night but Cardiffs 1st goal the player was completly unmarked in the St Austell box and had a easy chance to score unusual for St AUSTELL defence to go to sleep like that the whole St Austell team where very good last night

100%, hopefully Smokie has dried out, I was going to come over and say hello but he looked so dejected!

It was a very good game to watch, despite only two first team squad players and no Messrs Warnock or Bellamy, but their players were and that was what mattered. There was a definite clash of styles, St Austell were well organised, structured and very powerful, Cardiff were technically excellent, quicker and had much more possession - which was clearly expected by St Austell who geared up to counter. Cardiff were very composed and St Austell very vocal. I thought the Cardiff captain, number 4 was real quality and he dominated midfield, never stopping and moving the ball all around the pitch - it is testament to St Austell that their fitness kept going for 90 minutes.

I would disagree about St Austell player performances, for me Goldie was outstanding and covered every blade of grass, twice - it's a shame he got 'injured' towards the end in putting in a totally stupid diving tackle, in a competitive match it would have been red, as for me it marred a great game. Eddy is a class player, fit / strong and great fast runs, again if he could just temper the silly stuff, but that appears in his nature. However, one player was massive - Giler. He will not be happy about either goal, but his reading of the game, composure and direction to other players is second to none in the league. He may be getting older, but he would be my first name down in any league XI, he controlled the back 4 and marshalled the midfield as well - not the pretty stuff but what gets results like last night.

2-2 was probably fair, I feel if Cardiff took some of the chances their possession created it would have been different, but St Austell battled so well no one would complain and Watts nearly scored a cracking free kick (no surprise there). It was noticeable though and to be expected, Cardiff used their subs and brought on real quality, if anything better players (some a lot younger than 23) - St Austell did not have the same depth - each substitute weaken the team from the starting 11, they all played their part but will be surprised to see any of them making starting appearances, barring injuries - which is why I can't understand Wearns move from a regular starter at Falmouth - he must have reasons and George Roberts would start in any other team.

Worth the fiver and whilst I still think St Austell will struggle to be top in the league, due to lack of depth, they would be a good bet for Senior Cup / League Cup and Vase run on one off matches.

Hi Bobjfh Yes Smokie was feeling sorry for himself good job he couldnt talk after taking him to that match in that weather at least he wasnt in the awful weather the previous night at Bodmin ,I have seen Tavi, Saltash, Bodmin ,and St Austell in Pre season and  i think St Austell where the stongest i have seen  and the weakest team ihave seen is Tavi they will certainly miss Hobbs and Krac .Off to Perranporth tmmrw to see the G play down there 2pm kickoff  hope it stays dry im getting webbed feet .Wont be long b4 the season now and i will be traveling down St AUSTELLin august to see them play Plymouth Argyle reserves .I thought Cardiff u23 played some lovely 1st touch football i agree Bobjfh the No4 was class and Martin Giles never has a bad game hes hard a real good player and Liam Eddy is a great player with a attitude he done a couple of off the ball kicks last night but  hes got such a good football brain with a attitude . Hope everybody has a good weekend and the weather stays dry