Cornwall Football Forum

Steve Massey: The Best and Most Eccentric Managers He Played for

Mark - firstly, thank you, a really interesting insight into being a pro player during the 80's.

Secondly - Steve and his involvement at Helston have been subject of lots of comments, most of which have not been overly supportive of either. Having seen all the work that Steve put into the County youth (travelling the country in his own time and expense) last season, and the obvious effort he is putting in to help Helston, he should receive accolades and not slights. Like Mousehole, any team that try to develop and improve seem to get knocked - Helston may not have the strongest squad, yet, but I would rather see local players developed than other 'currently bigger' clubs, buying in their success.

Thank you for the early positive feedback. Steve is a very interesting guy to interview and has been most helpful with this project of mine. There are still a number of new sequences to watch in the coming weeks, including his take on the potential SWP League  title chasers, that I'll put out next week on the eve of the new season. 

As you rightly say Bobjfh, Steve gave an awful lot of his time to the Cornwall U 18s cause, like a number of us last season, and certainly went the extra mile or thousand. Steve is one of the good guys in local football, and there are a good number of them around.