Cornwall Football Forum

Budget v success ???

That sort of (rumoured) budget together with a very ambitious chairman also brings pressures, it will be like a cup final every week for Parkway with all teams looking to make life very difficult for them. I am sure that Lee Hobbs understands this, and knows that he must deliver or face the consequences.

Plymouth should be more than capable of supporting a Western or even Southern League team, after that though many other factors come into play. Just ask Truro City...

The top 6 clubs in swpl are all of western league standard. In other parts of the country they would be playing at a higher level. Any team finishing in the top 3 is more than good enough to take promotion. Argyle didn't win their league, but no one questions them playing in league one. In professional football all that matters is promotion. The championship is just icing on the cake. Same should apply at this level.

The 'budget' issue only really affects half the teams in the Prem, half pay 'big' and half pay expenses (most less than many teams in the West). It would appear from rumour that Parkway pay most, but certainly the top six or so will be the teams that are paying the most (maybe excluding a couple of teams in transition).

Parkway 'set out their stall' last season with a stated desire of promotion. They have effectively cherry picked a new squad this season and as a club have everything in place to go for promotion. Personally I think that it is great to see a club push for promotion, whether first second or third and I think if promoted then would quickly move through the Western Prem (as would some other SWPL teams if they could fund the travelling and associated costs). The slight issue is managerial experience, but Lee had a settling period last season and should be ready to push on. 

As only Parkway (and possibly Exmouth) have a desire to get promoted then good luck to them - Parkway won't have it all their own way but the league would benifit from it as well.

On 11/08/2017 at 12:01, Bobjfh said:

The 'budget' issue only really affects half the teams in the Prem, half pay 'big' and half pay expenses (most less than many teams in the West). It would appear from rumour that Parkway pay most, but certainly the top six or so will be the teams that are paying the most (maybe excluding a couple of teams in transition).

Parkway 'set out their stall' last season with a stated desire of promotion. They have effectively cherry picked a new squad this season and as a club have everything in place to go for promotion. Personally I think that it is great to see a club push for promotion, whether first second or third and I think if promoted then would quickly move through the Western Prem (as would some other SWPL teams if they could fund the travelling and associated costs). The slight issue is managerial experience, but Lee had a settling period last season and should be ready to push on. 

As only Parkway (and possibly Exmouth) have a desire to get promoted then good luck to them - Parkway won't have it all their own way but the league would benifit from it as well.

Do we really think that there is any difference between wages and expenses?? Some clubs will pay fuel or goal bonus or win bonus and the list goes on.  The terminology exists to attempt to hide the truth that players are over paid for taking part in a hobby!! ? 

There is undoubtedly huge expectation at Parkway this season. As a relative newcomer to non League football my question is 'why isn't this the norm?' 

What kind of sportsmen/women or owners or anyone involved in sport do not want to compete at the highest possible level? 

The Parkway and Exmouth Boards were the only ones that showed any cojones last season and I guess will be the only two this year.

Play to win and win to get promoted - or don't bother playing at all.

16 hours ago, El Nino said:

There is undoubtedly huge expectation at Parkway this season. As a relative newcomer to non League football my question is 'why isn't this the norm?' 

What kind of sportsmen/women or owners or anyone involved in sport do not want to compete at the highest possible level? 

The Parkway and Exmouth Boards were the only ones that showed any cojones last season and I guess will be the only two this year.

Play to win and win to get promoted - or don't bother playing at all.

Talking is cheap El Nino.  Liskeard, Saltash and Falmouth have all competed in the Western league previously and looking at the tables, did pretty well. In fact Saltash re-joined the league, but left it again.

Looking at the  table for the Western League, it does look very Bristol bias. All very well for clubs in that area, but a reasonable distance for Cornish clubs and West Devon clubs.

Is the quality of football in the Western League any higher than that of the South West Peninsula League?  

Given that either or both Plymouth Parkway and Exmouth Town win the Western League title, what then?

I personally don't know the answer, but clearly you do El Nino.

22 minutes ago, scousemouse said:

Talking is cheap El Nino.  Liskeard, Saltash and Falmouth have all competed in the Western league previously and looking at the tables, did pretty well. In fact Saltash re-joined the league, but left it again.

Looking at the  table for the Western League, it does look very Bristol bias. All very well for clubs in that area, but a reasonable distance for Cornish clubs and West Devon clubs.

Is the quality of football in the Western League any higher than that of the South West Peninsula League?  

Given that either or both Plymouth Parkway and Exmouth Town win the Western League title, what then?

I personally don't know the answer, but clearly you do El Nino.

Have Exmouth even got the quality to finish in the top 3 and get promoted to the Western League? Saw a lot of people backing them to beat Sticker 4-1, 4-0, 5-1 etc but were beaten 2-0.... besides that, to get promoted to the Western League is all well and good but like you said, teams are very much Bristol based and thats some distance to travel each away game!

IF a club from the SWPL took promotion each year then surey the tides will turn geographicaly. It will no longer be all Bristol based sides in that league and will allow teams not usually accociated with, lets say the top six, to push on and may be have a go themselves. Mousehole for instance are making big waves and I bet, given the chance of promotion in two, three or four years time they would love to be in a postion to 'give it a go' .

I applaud any club willing to take the plunge :c:

I think people are missing the point. If the western league was the highest level parkway could ever compete at they would probably stay in swpl(simaler standard less travel). However a city the size of Plymouth is big enough to support a senior non league team in addition to argyle and that is the aim. The western is not the long term target but the next step. Also the league is based around  Bristol not Beijing. Plymothians travel there for furniture!!