Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town 0 Tavistock 7

Is this a record League defeat for  Falmouth  at Bickland Park ?

In 2012-13 St.Blazey won 7-1in the SWPL and am still searching for anything higher---The record Home defeat (At Ashfield) was delivered by Barnstaple in 1954 when winning 9--0.in the SWL

This was the best ever Tavistock scoreline over Falmouth in over 100 competitive games since 1953-previous best was a 4-0 win at Langsford Park 2015-16.

In the Senior Cup Bodmin triumphed 9-0 in 2012-13 and in the official floodlight switch on Bristol City won 8-0 in 1974-75 since then in a PSF Shrewsbury Town won  8-0 in 1994-95

With 6 debutants to Premier football  and another two  with only 5 appearances in total it was a very inexperienced lineup- the Falmouth defence was so fragile and some goals self inflicted.

I found this neutral observation from a visitor

e: [Dr Love] Saturday 12th August 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SWP Premier
Falmouth Town 0-7 Tavistock
Att c120, adm £5, prog £1

A ground well-documented on here and well-photographed on the Internet. Quirkiness and character abound - don't think I've ever seen a ref lead the teams out from a door on the top row of the stand then walk them down the centre aisle to the pitch before - and its frayed edges simply add to the charm. It's a real blast from the past but sadly on borrowed time, this season supposedly its last, so get down to deepest Cornwall if you haven't been here already. But don't expect to get a pasty in the ground...burgers rule here. Criminal!

The game saw the visit of the champions, now minus their 53 goal hit man and their midfield creator who've apparently both moved to Plymouth Parkway. Falmouth's squad has undergone wholesale changes in the summer, many of the new boys joining from nearby Penryn as part of the player exodus that forced that club to quit this league's western division 1 a few weeks ago.

Despite the scoreline, I'm not entirely sure what to make of the two teams. Yes, one will be up there and one looks like it'll struggle, and Tavistock could play and were particularly ruthless as Falmouth caved in late on. But Falmouth had their moments in the first hour and I also overheard some of the locals remark that they've seen better opposition in this league, which kind of cemented the view I was coming to by that stage too. Who knows, but 7-0 does rather speak for itself.

24 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Is this a record defeat for  Falmouth in a competitive game  at Bickland Park ?

In 2012-13 St.Blazey won 7-1in the SWPL and am still searching for anything higher---The record Home defeat (At Ashfield) was delivered by Barnstaple in 1954 when winning 9--0

With 6 debutants to Premier football - the Falmouth defence was so fragile and some goals self inflicted.

I found this neutral observation from a visitor

e: [Dr Love] Saturday 12th August 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SWP Premier
Falmouth Town 0-7 Tavistock
Att c120, adm £5, prog £1

A ground well-documented on here and well-photographed on the Internet. Quirkiness and character abound - don't think I've ever seen a ref lead the teams out from a door on the top row of the stand then walk them down the centre aisle to the pitch before - and its frayed edges simply add to the charm. It's a real blast from the past but sadly on borrowed time, this season supposedly its last, so get down to deepest Cornwall if you haven't been here already. But don't expect to get a pasty in the ground...burgers rule here. Criminal!

The game saw the visit of the champions, now minus their 53 goal hit man and their midfield creator who've apparently both moved to Plymouth Parkway. Falmouth's squad has undergone wholesale changes in the summer, many of the new boys joining from nearby Penryn as part of the player exodus that forced that club to quit this league's western division 1 a few weeks ago.

Despite the scoreline, I'm not entirely sure what to make of the two teams. Yes, one will be up there and one looks like it'll struggle, and Tavistock could play and were particularly ruthless as Falmouth caved in late on. But Falmouth had their moments in the first hour and I also overheard some of the locals remark that they've seen better opposition in this league, which kind of cemented the view I was coming to by that stage too. Who knows, but 7-0 does rather speak for itself.

My prediction already starting to come true !

Interesting comment to say that you wished you had not bothered to watch....

Falmouth at home, pressed Tavistock quickly, denying them any time on the ball.. This unsettled Tavy and with the formation Falmouth set up with gave Tavy problems.. 

It's also fair to say that Tavistock did not play as well as in their previous games...However, scoring 17 goals and conceding 2 in their previous three game bodes well for them...

As for Falmouth, if they continue with the pressing game and quick play forward they will cause problems for other teams... 

Early doors for all clubs yet!!!