Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay vs Helston

looking forward to the match tonight got a feeling Newquay will win 3-1 Helston are a good team and the lad Matt Buchan is class also wandering if Truro Legend Kevin Wills will play because i seen Helston had signed him .Was looking forward to watching the G Play Falmouth tmrw night but car is in for its mot so wont be able to make it and car hasnt a hope in hell of passing thanks to Tania for letting me know the Gs match is on the Cornwall channel so may have to look at that in between Corrie .Going for a 4 -1 win to the G Tmmrw both them and Newquay have impressed me in pre season good luck to both teams for the season

Well i bet no one forcast this result a 5 -1 win to Newquay over a good Helston side , Newquay where just brilliant tonight the whole team where awesome just 1 dissapointing bit in the match beside the tremendous goal Helston scored Ollie Dart putting his head a bit too close to the Helston players face which earned him a red card tip for next time Ollie dont do it in front of the referee you was having a fine game until that moment of madness not sure of the scorers think Squires had O Hagan Jack Bray  Evans 2 1 a pen after Tornado had rounded the goalie Wyatt and he brought Tornado down who ran his heart out tonight dont know why Helston Goalie Barrie Wyatt wasnt sent off for that .Hard to pick a man of the match for Newquay but i have gone for Danny 0 Hagan who was brilliant but i could of picked anyone tonight ,Not taking anything away from a terrific Newquay performance but dont think they would of scored 5 if there brilliant Centr half Howlett had been playing there defencelooked weak without him Matt Buchan had some nice touches but Teague Lobb kept a close eye on him . Nice to see Aaron Dilliey there with his missus and his lovely dog which Smokie growled at hes a misery sometimes . Well done Newquay brilliant start now onto STicker on Satday Just a brilliant all round team performance i had them down to win 3-1 and they let me down and scored 5 .Crowd  tonight was 143 and a coupleof dogs all went homw well entertained

I don't think he even got a yellow. 

Ground Hoppers Report taken from Non-League Matters Forum:

SWP Premier
Newquay 5-1 Helston Athletic
Att: 143; adm: £5; ‘prog’: free (two unfolded sheets of A4 stapled in the top left corner); pasty £2.50 (a proper one, supplied by the local butcher)

Very good game and one which seemed to surprise the locals as much as anyone. Newquay survived relegation only by a reprieve last season, finishing next to bottom and well inside the bottom two. They looked nothing like relegation fodder tonight, although had Helston converted some of their first half chances – the most glaring a point blank header at 1-0, moments before Newquay punished them with a second approaching half time – it might have been closer. Two quick fire second half goals effectively sealed the game and, although Newquay went down to ten with a stupid red card late on before Helston grabbed a consolation, a penalty at the end wrapped things up.

Enjoyable game, and I really liked the ground too – a “proper ground” in my vernacular. Welcoming turnstile block, traditional stand, decent bit of cover and a more than decent snack bar. Nice big clubhouse too (no real ale) with the club’s name and badge proudly and boldly emblazoned on the back, facing pitch side. Looks like they’ve made ground improvements in the not too distant past judging by the look of some of the concrete hard standing and pitch perimeter fencing, as well as the stand roof. The paintwork in the stand – strangely yellow and blue, whereas the club colours are red and white – must be very recent as it was still slightly sticky, though dry enough to sit on. Just…

The ‘programme’ is apparently an experimental format. It’s free, which is probably fair as the only content is a brief club history, a list of club officials and both squads. Not many printed, apparently, though I saw a few spares on the snack bar counter at half time.

A few fine pieces of memorabilia in the comfy clubhouse, aka Peppermints Bar (honouring the club’s nickname), including fixture cards from the 1920s and a letter from the local MP on House of Commons paper congratulating the team on beating Bracknell to reach the last 32 of the FA Amateur Cup in 1970/1. Next opponents were Oldbury, who presumably won the tie because I found no mention of it at all amongst the displays!

Half a mile away, in different directions, are the town’s two GBG pubs. I’ve tried one so far, which happens to be a ‘spoons, where my dabbles with various local brews have seen them all in fine form.