Cornwall Football Forum

http://www.conifa.org

Having a look through the CONIFA web-site I see that Yorkshire have joined. Has anyone from the Cornish FA been in touch with CONIFA do we know?

What a great opportunity for some of our best players to play some competitive football at a decent level...

Edited by East Cornwall Magpie
wrongly written

Posted something about this on the non-Cornwall section back in June. Real shame about CCFA stance, not sure aboutany FA and FIFA ramifications, but what a showpiece occasion it could be if hosted in Cornwall. Could avoid any affiliation issues by fielding a Cornwall side featuring recently retired and non registered players. Could think of a few likely names.

Conifa have actively pursued Cornwall, who have not shown any interest. The Conifa World Cup was a big success, gaining strong coverage in the media. A Cornwall team would be brilliant for football in the region. Even now you will regularly see people wearing Cornwall rugby tops despite the decline in the competitions relevance. Potentially young Cornish children would follow the World Cup and buy the shirt. Then they would want to see their heroes in the flesh in a local swpl match. It would be a great marketing tool for the region - a national Cornwall side on sky sports news. When I mentioned this before on the forum, I was just greeted with sarcasm, as if I was suggesting Cornwall actually play in Tibet! This is of course indicative of the slow thinking, narrow minded attitude that is slowly strangling Cornish football.

Had the pleasure of attending the Conifa final at Enfield.,great atmosphere for the final with around 2,000 attending. Admittedly it was London where there are supporter bases for all the 16 teams, ( living in a Turkish area I know the locals got right behind the Northern Cyprus team) but I still feel it would be a great  (and lucratuve) thing for Cornwall to host. Not going to happen though.