Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL & Cup fixtures for Saturday 3 November 2018

On 04/11/2018 at 17:40, Mike Odgers said:

First half Falmouth too defensive conceding too much territory but were solid with captain Joe Cooper outstanding and relying on counter attacks.

Second half  Falmouth upstaged th ir game with a tenacious approach and took the game to their higher league hosts and were deservedly rewarded when Jordan notched his 85th.club goal set up by Tim Nixon and it was looking likely that they could have doubled their lead.

With three minutes to go Hamworthy who  had brought on their star man Dan Cann (back from injury) levelled the tie from athe lively winger Sam Bayston.

From here on the momentum  dropped from Falmouth as the Hamworthy club revitalised made sure in extra time.

Falmouth adapted well to the artificial 3g pitch  but  but the home club playing every other week on this surface used the experience to their advantage.

Sam Pickup came on in the 108th.minute to be Falmouth's fourth substitute which is a new ruling for extra time in the Vase

another reportA Vase Round 2
Hamworthy United 3 Falmouth Town 1 after extra time, 1-1 at 90m
Admission £5 including programme.
Programme: 20pp colour, pretty basic.
Teams: Whiteboard by the entrance.
Refreshments: Freshly-cooked chips £2, chicken pie £3 from the kitchen,
Attendance: 139 (h/c)

Since I last visited the Specsavers County Ground back in February, they have completed the extension to the clubhouse and either put in (or refurbished) a proper turnstile block next to the old entrance; it was in use today. I arrived early to secure parking, caught the last 5 minutes of some U-13s game between Dorset and Wiltshire, and then adjourned to the bar for the reasonably entertaining AFC Bournemouth v Manchester Utd. on the widescreen.

Falmouth, who had travelled up yesterday and stayed overnight, were a slight disappointment given their credentials – 2nd in the SWPL Prem, averaging over 3 goals a game this season, and 0-6 demolishers of Bridport in West Dorset in the last round. Hamworthy, who aren’t having a particularly good season by their own standards this year, certainly handled them efficiently in a goalless first half that didn’t generate a lot of goalmouth action, although the home side’s Chris Senior did have to hook one bouncing ball off the line. A slightly whistle-happy referee didn’t help matters either.

Falmouth eventually opened the scoring on 62m when Jordon Annear neatly tucked a cross in at the near post. I’ve had to confirm the scorer off Twitter, because Falmouth’s shirt design bears numbers which are in outline rather than block and are consequentially difficult to identify.

My initial reaction was that Hamworthy wouldn’t have the wherewithal to get back into the game, but two judicious substitutions on 72m, introducing Cann and Smith up front, changed all that. Walker scrambled the equaliser on 86m, which might have been helped in by the away keeper and / or a defender, to take us into extra time, and by that point Hamworthy were beginning to stamp their authority on the game. Cann made it 2-1 on 94m, the ball possibly taking a deflection past the keeper, and a Walker penalty on 111m after Smith had been fouled in the area sealed the result.

A good, workmanlike victory at the end of the day for the Hammers in a game that, for me, never quite hit the heights.