Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth Argyle - Title Favourites?

With every team in the league being so inconsistent - Argyle are clear favourites to win the league!

Points on the board already - it will take an incredible run of results for others- especially with backlog of fixtures due to winter and cup commitments for all other contenders.

one major question for Phil Hiscox and co would be - what happens if Argyle fail to raise a team at the end of the season (like last year?).

would this mean a deduction in points due to it being a 2nd offence - could be a decision worth sorting now because it could make a huge difference come the end of the year 

5 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

With every team in the league being so inconsistent - Argyle are clear favourites to win the league!

Points on the board already - it will take an incredible run of results for others- especially with backlog of fixtures due to winter and cup commitments for all other contenders.

one major question for Phil Hiscox and co would be - what happens if Argyle fail to raise a team at the end of the season (like last year?).

would this mean a deduction in points due to it being a 2nd offence - could be a decision worth sorting now because it could make a huge difference come the end of the year 

Why a second offence? That was last season. Points deducted and game awarded.

I would expect Argyle to complete their fixtures as they have pushed ahead with them. 

Only one side has beaten them in the League @ Newton Abbot and I expect that they would be totally fed up if any away side was given 3 points if Argyle couldn't raise a side.

it's all conjecture and let's hope it doesn't happen

7 hours ago, SWL Veteran said:

If they do, and they are obliged to take promotion, it should at least put to bed the argument about whether they should be in the S.W.P.L. or not, and we can all get on with the mess the F.A. have imposed on us for  next season.

I was under the impression that any connection with a  professional team in this league are not eligible for or allowed to take promotion. Certainly was the case last season. Don't know if that's changed, you never know the way the FA chop and change the parameters on a whim. I stand to be corrected. Someone will no doubt know the answer.

I just want to see them gone... just another money spinner for the Devon fa....

No disrespect to the Players meant but Pro players in this standard just doesn’t seem right to me. These lads train 5 days a week and it’s in no way a level playing field for everyone. 

Not to mention teams from the depths of cornwall having a 3/4 hour journey to play them on a Friday night after work ???? 

The points made are mostly right - they should not be in the league - they are the only football league club that play at step 6 - they cannot be promoted - a team in SWPL could finish fourth  and get promoted if Argyle finish above that team - they have played 22 league matches of which 20 have been evening games - WOW.  NOT a level playing field at all.

This is not done to fill the coffers of the SWPL clubs but to help Argyle and give the club more choice of players on a Saturday as it enters youth players in other competitions- both Devon FA and the SWPL have bent over backwards to accommodate them at step 6.

The response you will get, if any, is that they have to accept them - but all the other clubs in England recognize the unfairness of it and don't take part.:SM_carton:

It will be a shame when Plymouth Argyle reserves are not in the league next year with the new system, plymouth are a joy to watch with there talented youngsters and sometimes its good to see some of there 1st team in the teams as well .My team Godolphin ,are playing Argyle reserves Saturday week i hope its not changed to a friday night because i like taking photos and its no good for me if its a evening match 😞

Spot on Tractor Boy!

Couldnt agree more Home Waters. A team could be denied promotion, or relegated purely based upon what strength Argyle side they played against especially this season when things are so tight at the top. 

Youve also got to watch certain clubs postponing Saturday games and trying to get them played midweek when they might be able to field a stronger side.

All part of the fun, and I'm sure that the administrators know what is going on!

I think it's positive having them in the league. Gives the youngsters of our city's only professional club a chance to play at a good competitive level. It also means that the players in the league get to test themselves against young professionals to see just how good they are. Did I see a comment about travelling again? Imagine if a Devon side, for instance Cullompton, had to travel to the depths of Cornwall for an evening game, is that fair? Of course it is, get over it as it isn't every week! 

Just can’t see why Argyle play midweek matches - when all other teams will have players that work all day - casting more pressure on clubs when Argyle seem to call the shots and Committee members continue to lap it up to try and get some free tickets along the way!

was there ever any consultation?  

In my time I’ve played against the likes of Dan Gosling etc which was a great experience especially considering how successful he has been but is that really developing the league???

Very frustrating