Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint 5 Foxhole 0

Torpoint 5 (Robbins 10, Eke 13, Applegate pen 59, 72, Gibbons 88) Foxhole 0

Saturday 11th May 2019

You know, as a means of predicting the future, I'm not convinced the typical horoscope in a newspaper is totally reliable. Today, mine said "Pisces....don't believe everything you read. Uranus is cute but, as Mercury is prominent this week, only drink bottled water. England will win the World Cup in 1966." It ended with "today will be eventful....or possibly uneventful." At least they got that bit right.

Things started to go wrong in the morning. I was enjoying a leisurely bath when there was a loud banging on the front door. I tried to ignore it but the knocking became persistent so I bellowed, "Who is it?"
A voice shouted back, "I'm just a blind man".
Annoyed at having to climb out of my hot bath, I didn't see the need to cover myself and opened the door completely naked. The man on the step was visibly shaken.
"Can I interest you in some blinds?", he asked tentatively.

Unsure of the exact location of Horson Field I allowed myself plenty of time for the drive but, with the roads quiet, I found myself with ages to spare before kick off so decided to explore the town on foot. However, glancing around at the seriously outdated clothes being worn by the locals going about their business in the main street reminded me that Torpoint is one of the few places where I actually look vaguely fashionable. I couldn't help wondering if perhaps there had recently been a fire sale at a tank top factory nearby. Torpoint is known for its ferries but the plethora of 70s haircuts suggested the principle mode of transport there should be the Tardis. (In fairness, the good thing about lending someone a time machine is that you at least get it back straightaway).

After a short spell of window shopping (during which time I bought two windows), I took to studying the architecture of the town as I strolled along, and thought each structure appeared to be competing against the next in a bizarre ugly building contest. Not many people know that Torpoint was actually mentioned in the Domesday book and was given an estimated value by the conquering Normans of £250. Today, it must be worth at least twice that. I then realised I had forgotten to bring any pencil and paper for my notes during the match, so I popped into a newsagents and asked the assistant, "Do you keep stationery?"
"No," she replied. "I'm moving all the time". 
Just then, a harassed woman burst into the shop clutching a leather lead and shrieked, "Have you seen a shiatsu?"
"Well, I went to one that had no animals once", I said.

The town centre is a complex mix of narrow roads within a challenging road system, restricted parking and tacky gift shops. With road signs indicating even the general whereabouts of Horson Field evidently an optional extra, I had to swallow my pride and ask the way. Regrettably, so vague and incomprehensible were the directions emanating from the chap I stopped, it soon became obvious he too was on a day trip to Torpoint (in fact, I think he was from Moronville, just down the coast). 

My next choice was no more enlightening; an old lady advised me to "follow the crowd" but I ended up in the chip shop. I was feeling hungry so I decided to buy a meal there, but unfortunately I had to take it back.
"This food isn't cooked properly", I complained. 
"Why do you say that?" asked the chap behind the counter.
"The fish is sucking vinegar off my chips", I said.

The best that can be said for the performance was that Foxhole were perhaps saving themselves for next week's cup final, as they were embarrassed by a slicker and fitter team. Robbins beat Bullen with a dipping drive from 30 yards before the referee controversially overruled an offside flag allowing Eke to run through unchallenged. Although no further damage was done in the first half, the Foxes struggled to mount a fightback and only once threatened to score, but Bould's close range effort was easily gathered.

The victory was sealed just before the hour mark when a penalty was awarded for Gibbons' stumble, the incredibly soft penalty being duly converted by a gleeful Applegate, who soon made it 4-0 with a shot into the corner. With Griffin cruelly suspended, the Foxes had been forced to adopt a shorter passing game, but ultimately it meant the game was played in front of the imposing central defensive partnership of Hicks and Chris Westall. Regrettably they were extended all too rarely, although Bould and Gilbert did both go close before Gibbons completed the scoring.

I couldn't wait to get away, as my excursion had been singularly dismal. I smiled wryly to myself, however, when I passed a road sign on my way home. It read: "You are now leaving Torpoint - well done." 

Foxhole (4-3-3): Matt Bullen; Ryan Wilkins, Nathan Papaioannou, Lee Whetter, Huw Morgan; Levi Kerrigan, Rory Barnacle, Aidan Dingle; Jowan Dingle, Benno Bould, Bradley Allen. Subs: Martin Gilbert, Nathan Allen.

Torpoint (4-4-2): Matt Westall; Jake White, Sam White, Chris Westall, Darren Hicks; James Robertson, Joe Eke, Jamie Hill, Tyler Copp; Byron Robbins, Ben Applegate. Subs: Alex Richardson, Max Greenham, Callum Bays, Luke Gibbons, Fraser Benney.

Thanks to the officials Ian Spurling, Ray Wilson and Fraser Benney.

Amazing performance from torpoint today. If only they’d played like this all season they’d be well clear of foxhole and st mawgan. Ridiculous half volley from 35 yards from last years golden boot winner Byron robbins dealt foxhole the first blow. Applegate then turned on the style with a classy hatty. Poor Bullen thought he was coasting through the ecpl1 until he was struck by torpoints brilliance. It was 5-0 to the hosts when Luke gibbons ran 40 yards past the old whetter and morgan who quite honestly looks below their level today to slot home the 5th. Congrats to foxhole for finishing 1st in the league on goal difference. Torpoint a force to be reckoned with next year if they keep the same squad. Shoutout to Shaun for moaning at torpoint for bringing in “five senior players” maybe if they’d paid more during the season they would have won today. 

Goals x

Fair play to Torpoint for a top notch performance in what was a nothing game for both teams.. If someone said to me at the beginning of the season would you rather win the league but loss the last league game of the season 5-0 or finish 3rd but beat the champions 5-0, I know what one I would choose.. 

Torpoint Athletic 5-0 Foxhole Stars

Torpoint XI:

Torpoint (4-4-2): Matt Westall; Jake White, Sam White, Chris Westall, Darren Hicks; James Robertson, Joe Eke, Jamie Hill, Tyler Copp; Byron Robbins, Ben Applegate

Sub used: Luke Gibbons

Scorers: Applegate (3), Robbins, Gibbons

Torpoint welcomed Champions elect, Foxhole, to a meeting at Horson Field (not our preferred choice...) knowing that only a massive win would deny the visitors their title.

The game started immediately with a very late challenge from Robbins on Morgan, credit to Morgan for not making much of the situation as a card could've so easily have been shown. Credit to referee Spurling for ensuring Robbins knew the severity of the challenge. It wasn't long before Robbins turned from scrapper to genius, a long ball was chased down by Applegate, the block then found it's way to Robbins, 35 yards out, to finish superbly over an unsuspecting Bullen. Torpoint's second was deemed controversial and unjust by the visitors, a bent run from Applegate saw the assistant raise his flag. It seemed only Applegate and the referee were the only men on the pitch playing to the whistle as the striker slotted home to make it 2-0. Foxhole had been finding it hard to really utilise the strengths on Bould. Both Hicks and captain Westall were at their very best throughout the encounter. Foxhole started to grow into the game from the 35th minute, controlling possession without any real chances on Westall's goal.

Entering the second period, Torpoint were forced into an early change with Gibbons replacing Robbins who had been struggling with an injury. So after his arrival, Gibbons found himself dribbling into the opposition area. After getting a shot away there was very small contact from Whetter, enough deemed by Spurling to award a softish penalty. Applegate stepped up to smash home. Applegate's scoring hadn't yet finished for the afternoon and he soon was awarded with a much deserved hat-trick, again slotting cooly past Bullen. Torpoint continued to dominate the encounter, with Robertson and Eke central in almost everything from the hosts. Late in the affair, Torpoint again won the ball back on the half way line with a Gibbons, Applegate 1-2 the former found space inside the area to complete the scoring for the afternoon.

Firstly, a massive congratulations to Foxhole on the league title. That table never lies and a seasons hard graft has proved that. Very disappointing from the League not to present the trophy on the last day of the season, with Foxhole bringing a bus load of supporters. I was personally disappointed as prior to the game, we had discussed ensuring that traditions were to be followed following the final whistle and clapping the Champions off the pitch. However, 90% of the visitors decided that this wouldn't be the case nor would the customary handshakes. The only senior player of note with any real class, not surprisingly, was Huw Morgan who congratulated our side and even apologised for some of the sulking of his team-mates. I see this as a responsibility of the manager and senior players, the young lads will normally follow the crowd ensuring that true footballing traditions and sportsmanship is upheld. All the best for the Cup Final next week.

Great match report from L Gibbons, just to say I really enjoyed officiating this game , other than the Robbins tackle ( which I honestly did have the best view of , and credit to Huw Morgan who did react ) there wasn’t a real bad tackle in the game , I must firstly congratulate Foxhole on winning the title as Champions, as well as wish them luck in the upcoming final. I myself as were many who were at the game very disappointed that  Foxhole didn’t receive the winners trophy at the end of the game , where I feel it would of been proper to do so. As this always seems to happen at other leagues.  On a personal note I would like to thank Huw Morgan ( who has always and is still a shining example of a great player and gentleman) and the three other Foxhole players who shook my hand after the match, as well as several of the Foxhole supporters who also made a effort to thank me . Finally I would like to thank Torpoint Athletic for being superb hosts down the Mill after the game as they always are.. I wish both clubs best in the future . 

Ian  ( Referee)

22 minutes ago, dave bunt said:

Luke you actually used 5 subsitutes, Alex Richardson, Max Greenham, Callum Bays, Fraser Beeney & yourself. Don't know how you forgot 4 of them in your report

Actually Mr Bunt, you’re incorrect. We had 5 subs named, and used 1. Don’t know how you could forget only one sub was used. Three of the four unused players had played for the fourth team in the earlier KO and weren’t required. Better to be safe than sorry and have them available with so many unavailable today. Still one game to play for us on Wednesday so no need to risk injuries with players playing two games back to back! 

39 minutes ago, dave bunt said:

Luke you actually used 5 subsitutes, Alex Richardson, Max Greenham, Callum Bays, Fraser Beeney & yourself. Don't know how you forgot 4 of them in your report

With the size of my nose Dave, I don't forget much. Hence 1, terrific, sub used by the management and 5 named in total.