Cornwall Football Forum

PENRYN   (1)  1          Bradley Leivers  26’

CAMELFORD  (1)  2    Bobby Hopkinson  3’  Jack Lawrence  77’

Another really good entertaining friendly at Kernick Road with the higher league team just edging it with a late goal. The match got off to a cracking start after just 3 minutes with Bobby Hopkinson unleashing a 30 yarder which moved and dipped all over the shop over Ben Mitchell and inches under the bar. Thought Penryn really grew into the game after this setback and went on to be the better side in the first half playing some fast paced one and two touch football. Ryan Reeve was flagged offside to deny him an equaliser, I was bang in line and it looked two yards on to me!? Honest mistake I would say, Lino was correct 90% of the time tonight. Ryan then got clipped in the area by the superb Charlie Hambley but one of my favourite refs Mr Kev Knowles saw differently and then Rappo Jnr nipped in and went around the keeper but Charlie did brilliantly to slide in and clear off the line and deny him his 10th goal of pre season. The hosts got the goal they deserved when a clever reverse pass from Jake Shaw put in Bradley Leivers to crash the ball into the roof of the net from a narrow angle although a fine strike from the visitors cannoned off the post 5 minutes before the break. Camelford with Hopkinson pulling the strings in midfield probably just edged the 2nd half but Penryn were always a lively threat before Jack Lawrence first effort was well saved by Mitchell only to come straight back to his feet for a decent first time finish back into the net. Good to see Reg Hambley after, always a gent, and a vast knowledge of local football. Said it could be his last season in charge of the Camels, hope it’s a good one for him.  A good work out for both teams and on to Saturday for Penryn v Foxhole with half of the team away on a lads holiday together!!! 

On 24/07/2019 at 00:35, RAPPO said:

PENRYN   (1)  1          Bradley Leivers  26’

CAMELFORD  (1)  2    Bobby Hopkinson  3’  Jack Lawrence  77’

Another really good entertaining friendly at Kernick Road with the higher league team just edging it with a late goal. The match got off to a cracking start after just 3 minutes with Bobby Hopkinson unleashing a 30 yarder which moved and dipped all over the shop over Ben Mitchell and inches under the bar. Thought Penryn really grew into the game after this setback and went on to be the better side in the first half playing some fast paced one and two touch football. Ryan Reeve was flagged offside to deny him an equaliser, I was bang in line and it looked two yards on to me!? Honest mistake I would say, Lino was correct 90% of the time tonight. Ryan then got clipped in the area by the superb Charlie Hambley but one of my favourite refs Mr Kev Knowles saw differently and then Rappo Jnr nipped in and went around the keeper but Charlie did brilliantly to slide in and clear off the line and deny him his 10th goal of pre season. The hosts got the goal they deserved when a clever reverse pass from Jake Shaw put in Bradley Leivers to crash the ball into the roof of the net from a narrow angle although a fine strike from the visitors cannoned off the post 5 minutes before the break. Camelford with Hopkinson pulling the strings in midfield probably just edged the 2nd half but Penryn were always a lively threat before Jack Lawrence first effort was well saved by Mitchell only to come straight back to his feet for a decent first time finish back into the net. Good to see Reg Hambley after, always a gent, and a vast knowledge of local football. Said it could be his last season in charge of the Camels, hope it’s a good one for him.  A good work out for both teams and on to Saturday for Penryn v Foxhole with half of the team away on a lads holiday together!!! 

Fair write up Mark, personally think Penryn will do very well this season - they have a good squad and their addition(s) this year  have strengthen what looked like a team who have played together for a while - Jack will fill his boots in that league. You could also tell they were on their 4th preseason game and the No 2 (sorry I can’t remember his name but he may have been the goal scorer - he seemed to play all over the place) was excellent  

Camels have made some very good additions this year and once settled and have a few more pre seasons game together will (IMO) have a good season - and may surprise a few in the Prem. I think Reg has stayed on for another season as last year was a nightmare (loosing 4 of the best young players in the county to university and an unbelievable run of injuries in vital positions) - hopefully if his last year it will finish much better!!

I actually thought result was a fair one but would not have questioned a draw either or even a Penryn win - Camels, for me, just had that little bit more game management. Kev Knowles was excellent and his brief to the players before the game on the new rules was exceptional - I’m not sure how many players know all the changes!!!

Camels always ‘utilise the facilities’ of host clubs and i’m sure there are not many teams who spend more in the bar after games!!! especially with ‘Older’ holding court at the bar and providing quality nourishment. 

Good luck to all involved for the coming season and hopefully catch up on a touch line soon Mark.

Was good to catch up with you briefly before the game Bob!! Totally agree mate, was impressed with the Camels, Ed as impressive as ever on the ball and doing plenty of leg work for the equally impressive Hopkinson in midfield, he reminds me of Jan Molby! Think Regs team will be more a top half than a bottom half team this season and as you say the Penryn lads play some cracking football under a great young manager, I’ve really enjoyed watching the few games I’ve seen, I’m sure they’ll have a really good season in the new St.Piran league set up. Hopefully catch up with you for a longer chat later in the season Bob, best wishes to Ed for another great season no doubt!! Don’t seem long ago they were about 11 or 12 does it mate!!! 👍