Cornwall Football Forum

Peppermints down the Seagulls

PSF 30/07/19

Mousehole 2 - 4 Newquay 

Not the result I was expecting tonight. However interesting game to watch for many different reasons. 

Newquay raced into a two goal lead in the first 10 minutes. First goal in the first minute when the keeper under no pressure passed the ball to Newquay forward who couldn’t miss. Second I missed but I was    told it was a nice finish. It was 3 nil at HT defensive error leading to a well struck finish. Mousehole had the majority of the possession for the half but found a very well organised Newquay defence hard to break down. Also missed a penalty and struck the post. 

Second half was very much the same a lot of possession with frustration in the final third, one to many touches, poor passing, poor final ball, shooting from distance, not pulling the trigger the list goes on. Newquay however managed another sucker punch by capitalising on another defensive mix up. 

Not that it is any excuse the Mousehole side was very experimental tonight with a mixture of players and rightly so as it’s a PSF, however I’m sure the management had some stern words after the game as the final product was missing tonight. 

Newquay were a very well organised and disciplined unit. Very compact in defence and clinical with the chances they had, converting 50% (approximately). I’m sure no team will take the peppermints lightly and if they do this season it could be at their peril. I for one was very impressed with them today. Not sure if they were at full strength tonight or not.  

Mousehole get a little reminder that no team will roll over for them this season. 

Agree with you Del Boy, not the result I expected either. Mousehole only starting half of their assumed best side, perhaps there holding back and not showing the opposition exactly what they have for the season, number 12 an ex Chelsea academy player (who left as he didn’t want to go to holland on loan apparently) looks to have a lot of potential, greedy at times though. Mousehole definitely had more possession through out the game but weren’t clinical enough, as Del Boy said Newquay set up well for the game and where very organised! Think it’ll be a different result when they play in the league, but we will see 

1 hour ago, TheManWhoKnows said:

Agree with you Del Boy, not the result I expected either. Mousehole only starting half of their assumed best side, perhaps there holding back and not showing the opposition exactly what they have for the season, number 12 an ex Chelsea academy player (who left as he didn’t want to go to holland on loan apparently) looks to have a lot of potential, greedy at times though. Mousehole definitely had more possession through out the game but weren’t clinical enough, as Del Boy said Newquay set up well for the game and where very organised! Think it’ll be a different result when they play in the league, but we will see 

Left because he didn't want to go to Holland on loan, but wants to join Mousehole in the depths of Cornwall, yeah sure that was the reason 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 

Think report is a bit harsh on Newquay. 2nd and 3rd goal were both well taken and defended well against a mousehole side, who were by no means a weakened side. 7 full time pros playing for mousehole as well. From the sidelines, Newquay even seemed to change things up themselves at half time. Overall great game and two great team. One of the better PSF I’ve watched