Cornwall Football Forum

The Curious Case of Mousehole ad. infinitum

Before I begin, let me first apologise for bringing up Mousehole yet again on the forum. I'm aware it has been done to death, however, I am still left with many unanswered curiosities about the project.

I won't apologise for the flirting with speculation, rumour and gossip, after all this is what a forum is for and I am hoping some anoraks out there can provide some answers.

We've all seen the various press releases from official Mousehole sources (Pravda) about full time training, endorsed academy etc. and more.

We've also all seen clubs from in years past that have been bankrolled and fly through the leagues (Truro) and it seems the latest project is underway at Helston. This model seems to operate on chucking money at experienced and proven players from here to timbuktu until Mervin's manure meets Frank's fans.

Mousehole presents an analomy to this tried and tested method as young players from around the globe are turning up to grace the various football arenas of Cornwall. The talent on display is clearly well above the standard its playing but also fleeting as it eventually moves on to greener pastures far up the footballing ladder. What still remains unclear for me is as follows, I'm grateful for any in the knowers that might have some answers...

- who or what is attracting players to this quiet little village at the foot of the country? Money? Full Time training, a chance of professional career? All of the above?

- how is this funded? Is it sustainable and how so? Do the players coach or work in other roles at Mousehole to fund room and board? Are they contributing financially themselves with a view to a move into the professional game?

- Are Mousehole receiving fees for the players they move on?

- what is the long term ambition of the club? Is there a plan about how this system develops as the club progresses through the leagues?

I hope this does not come across as critical in any way. On the face of things, it seems Mousehole are emphasising high level coaching and opportunity for young kids in Cornwall which can only be a good thing. It's also refreshing to see young and hungry players coming to Cornwall from all over the place and improving the standard of the league. Mousehole also seem to keep a contingent of Cornish players in their starting lineup, I have no idea if this is some sort of quota system or not.

Whatever it is, it's certainly unique and it's happening on our doorstep. If Mousehole continue at this pace it's not unlikely they'll be playing in the Western League which will only generate further curiosity.

My fear for Mousehole is short term gain long term pain.

There are examples from the past that have been similar in throwing money at a football club, now called sleeping giants😏 Mouseholes  real problem is it is a geographical disaster  for their ambitions...whatever they are?

Western league or higher! other leagues will look at the venue and choke on a midweek fixture at anytime of the year.

The attempted takeover of Pz just to be a few miles closer to a reasonable transport link says it all.

The population of Mousehole at the last census was 700! With that and their geographical location they're never going to get big gates, so a lot of money will have to be pumped in by someone prepared to lose it all. As I've said before on this forum I think they've eaten too much Stargazy Pie.