Cornwall Football Forum

FRIDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2019

Camelford 3-1 Callington

Couldn't make the match but a good 3 points against an improving Callington side, especially after Camelford were reduced to 10 men after 20 minutes for a last man / goal scoring red card when only 1-0 up and missing several key players  

Goals from a Bobby freekick, Cian and Leighton before half time and Callington getting one back in the early second half on a very windy night. 

4 wins in a row for the Camels, who in fairness are probably 6 points below where they should be, if not for last 5 minute goals conceded / not taken. Reg has pulled together a good squad capable of picking up points and troubling any team in the league. 

I too took in the Camelford game on Friday evening, a game that wont really live long in the memory due to a lack of any real quality.  This was mainly down to the howling wind that made it almost impossible for either side to even attempt anything resembling football.

Camelford first goal came from what looked a very questionable free kick on the edge of the Callington box. What wasn't questionable was the strike from the number 20, Bobby I think it was. Didn't he hit it? With the wind behind him as well it flew into the back of the net off the keepers hand. An shot that without the wind behind, he would've struggled to save. What he did save though was a thunderous strike from Bobby minutes later with a fantastic one handed tip onto the bar.

Camelford then put themselves in trouble when a Callington player was bearing down on the Camelford box and was brought down, the ref handing out a straight red card.  From my angle it looked as though there was a covering defender not far away, but there didn't really appear to be any complaints, so perhaps the right call.  At this point it was game on.  However, with the wind still having a major influence on the game, Camelford benefitted from the elements to stretch their lead when a long throw wasn't dealt with properly leading to a scramble around the penalty spot and the lively Camelford winger slotting it home.  At this point Camelford looked in control but knowing they had the 2nd half to play against the wind and with 10 men, it was still  far from job done.  Poor decision making and a lack of a real goal threat, mainly from their number 9 and 10 meant the Camelford goalie had very little to do apart from a smart save from a 1v1 where he saved with his foot resulting in a corner for Callington.  With Callington seemingly looking to see the half out and keep it to 2-0, this assumption is based on the fact the Callington goalkeeper seemed to take an age with everything, Camelford grabbed a 3rd goal with a once a season type goal.  Another set piece from in front of the home bench saw the Camelford number 4 (I think) send a looping header from fully 18 yards that seemed to loop and dip incredibly into the top corner with the goalkeeper helplessly rooted to the spot.  3-0 to Camelford at half time but a game that saw Callingtons number 8 and number 17 grow into the game and start to cause Camelford problems, worth noting this was once Camelford were reduced to 10 men.

The 2nd half saw, as expected, Callington come out of the traps in search of an early goal to get their tails up.  In truth, they never really got to grips with the conditions with countless attempts at through balls and long balls flying out of play for a goal kick. Something the Camelford boys were happy to see happen as the Camelford keeper took a leaf out the Callington keepers book from the first half. Only 3 real talking points then followed.  Firstly a very well taken goal by the previously mentioned Callington number 17, who went on a mazey run, going past 2 Camelford defenders after receiving a defence splitting pass to then neatly finish in the far bottom corner.  A well taken goal. At this point it looked as if it was game on, however, then followed more Callington long balls going out of play and a host of slightly better than half chances go begging with the Callington captain having their best chance for their 2nd goal by rounding the keeper and seemingly smash it into the side netting when it looked easier to roll it in the empty net. The next talking point was a fine double save from the Callington keeper to keep his side in with a chance of salvaging a point.  A ball across the box from the Camelford winger was met by his team mate 8 yards out who hit it first time to watch his effort smartly saved and the follow up rebound was smashed back at goal by Cian from 7 yards out only to see the keeper bounce back up and cover 2 or 3 yards to make another fine 1 handed save from point blank.  This looked to push Callington on for the next 5 minutes when they created more half chances but with no real prowess.  The final talking point came when Camelford were lucky to not have received a 2nd red card.  A long kick from the keeper saw Callingtons big central defender go up to head the ball to be caught flush in the face by what looked an intentional elbow by Bobby.  To my amazement the ref didn't even blow for a foul deeming it not a foul.  The explanation from Bobby was they clashed heads, however, Bobby is probably a foot shorter than the defender and didn't really get off the floor, so I can't see how it could ever have been a clash of heads.  Very lucky the way I see it. Callington continued to push forward in search of the 2nd goal to set up a frantic close to the game but never really troubled Camelfords keeper who had a relatively quiet night.  I took in the game on the back of some good reports in recent weeks about both the teams hoping for a good game, Camelford will be pleased with the result and Callington will be disappointed that they never really did enough to get close to Camelford, so the result seems about right.

Two player mentions, one good, one not so:

Camelford are a workmanlike side and are managed by a real gent in Reg. However, the way in which Bobby conducted himself was not a reflection on what Reg has built at Camelford. He is a very good player but lets himself down with his conduct. Not only was there the elbow he was lucky to get away with but he conned the ref several times by throwing himself to the floor and constantly berated the opposition players. What stood out for me was the disgusting way he acted after the final whistle.  Verbally abusing a member of the opposition (I think) support of a personal nature and then proceeding to say it was all about him and that they had paid to watch him as he laughed and banged on the away dressing room window very much soured what was a good result for Camelford. I never like to single out players in a negative manner because they get enough of that on here, but this has played on my mind since Friday.

To finish on a positive note. The Camelford number was a constant threat and looked a very good player.  Didn't catch his name, but Camelford will be hoping they can keep hold of him.

Good result for Reg but as a neutral, the elements spoiled what probably would've been a really good game.

Launceston V St Austell for me tomorrow.  I fear for Launceston especially after St Austell losing on Saturday.