Cornwall Football Forum

Top 5 Head to Head - winner wins the league surely.

Just an opinion but with the league now taking shape and the five front runners are now starting to create a gap. 

I think whoever takes the most points from the head to heads wins the league. Of course there will be the odd result against teams out of the top 5 ie Falmouth, Newquay, Camelford wont be walk overs. 

So, to date;

St Austell played 4 games against the top 5 and gained - 2 points. 

Bodmin played 3 games and gained - 1 point.

Helston played 1 game and gained - 3 points.

Saltash played 4 games and gained - 9 points.

Mousehole played 4 games and gained - 7 points.

For me it’s out of Mousehole, Saltash and Helston. Helston only played one game against the top teams so tests may lay ahead for them.

Anybody else think there is any other team I’m missing out or disagree?

Personally I don’t even think about looking at the top of the table properly until the end of December as things are very tight between the top four and five teams... On budget it probably should be Helston but I think Salash with the depth of squad that they have now are capable winners and will take promotion If they end up in the top two

21 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Just an opinion but with the league now taking shape and the five front runners are now starting to create a gap. 

I think whoever takes the most points from the head to heads wins the league. Of course there will be the odd result against teams out of the top 5 ie Falmouth, Newquay, Camelford wont be walk overs. 

So, to date;

St Austell played 4 games against the top 5 and gained - 2 points. 

Bodmin played 3 games and gained - 1 point.

Helston played 1 game and gained - 3 points.

Saltash played 4 games and gained - 9 points.

Mousehole played 4 games and gained - 7 points.

For me it’s out of Mousehole, Saltash and Helston. Helston only played one game against the top teams so tests may lay ahead for them.

Anybody else think there is any other team I’m missing out or disagree?

Interesting read, seems to confirm that Saltash are the best side in the league at the moment. As Rocky said, they now look like they have the squad to deal with whatever the winter chucks at them and how crowded the fixture list may get come next spring. Think they are too well managed and experienced to drop points against lowly outfits at the business end of the season.

Mousehole are the unknowns, signing Tallan Mitchell from Bodmin is a good indicator that they think they can go close. Not putting away the lesser/mid table teams could be their undoing though.

Helston have the big ambition. Certain that Massey won't be scared of bringing in the players that he deems necessary, regardless of where they are based and other people's opinions.

Bodmin will be top three at best. They are not the club they were in terms of either results or attracting the best players, but they have enough experience at playing and management level (and the ability to bring in players from other leagues when needed) to win more than they lose.

Think St Austell have probably exceeded expectations, and (after the summer's turmoil) will be probably be quietly happy with the first few months of the season. Won't win the league though.