Cornwall Football Forum

Can Millbrook or Torpoint win the East League?

Any thoughts on how these teams are playing so far mid season? Where do you think they might of been in the West League? I think the East League is turning out to be a very tight battle some brilliant games ahead especially Millbrook vs Torpoint on Boxing Day Looking forward to that match 

Indeed, it’s a shame that we don’t get more posts from the East. I know that it’s the Cornish Football Forum, and Cornwall has little representation there, but we have a whole sub-forum on the Western League with absolutely no Cornish clubs (yet). Not that I’m complaining, always good to know what the Parkway reprobates are up to!

Despite a recent blip, I think Bovey Tracey are still the standout favourites and surprised a few in Cornwall by dumping St Austell out of the cup - this did not come as a shock to those have witnessed the impressive strengthening of the team over the summer. Ilfracombe have surprised a few and have strengthened their team throughout the season - no reason they can't go all the way and could comfortably compete in the Western League as they have done before. Torpoint have completely dismantled teams on occasions and on their day are the strongest outfit in the league, they show an unmatched level of experience at this level. Millbrook are very professional, and most importantly consistent. 

I think Torpoint and Millbrook are 2 contenders in what will end up being a 4 horse race.

There's been a fair few hidings, like there has been on the Cornish side, but overall it's been very competitive and all teams are liable to an upset from clubs propping up the league. I think the East has a much more even spread of teams than the Cornish side, but ultimately, I'd say the 4/5 strongest teams from both leagues are all in the Cornish side.

Agreed, Torpoint and Millbrook have done very well in the tighter East Division. And by tighter, not necessarily weaker than the West, as Torpoint showed against Saltash recently. 

Bovey have been dropping games recently which 2 months ago they would have won, Ilfracombe are the surprise but going on history perhaps not. 

I can see if not this season, then going forward all 4 of these teams at Step 5, with hopefully 4 from the west. Include the existing teams Exmouth/Tavistock/Buckland and thats a "super" Old South Western League.

Proof hopefully that Step 5 isn't the scary level that some teams think it could be. 

17 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Agreed, Torpoint and Millbrook have done very well in the tighter East Division. And by tighter, not necessarily weaker than the West, as Torpoint showed against Saltash recently. 

Bovey have been dropping games recently which 2 months ago they would have won, Ilfracombe are the surprise but going on history perhaps not. 

I can see if not this season, then going forward all 4 of these teams at Step 5, with hopefully 4 from the west. Include the existing teams Exmouth/Tavistock/Buckland and thats a "super" Old South Western League.

Proof hopefully that Step 5 isn't the scary level that some teams think it could be. 

You forgot about Parkway. I know they're focussed on being at step 4 next season, but finishing in the Western League promotion places is by no means a given.