Cornwall Football Forum

Its gonna be a wet night in Helston tonight !!!!!!!

There is some loyalty left in football St Austells goalie Jason Chapman turns down big money Bucks from Helston to stay with St Austell well done Jason . Helston are my tip for the title but at the moment they need a goalie i also have Bodmin down as runners up but  1 of there players Max Gilbert has left Bodmin to sign for Bodmin Mousehole wonder what happened to all the signings Bodmin  made including Neil Warnocks son and they had also  signed a black lad who was suppose tear  the league apart  wheres  .I have Helston vs Falmouth down for  adraw tonight but if Helston havvnt got a goalie could be a Falmouth win .

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

There is some loyalty left in football St Austells goalie Jason Chapman turns down big money Bucks from Helston to stay with St Austell well done Jason . Helston are my tip for the title but at the moment they need a goalie i also have Bodmin down as runners up but  1 of there players Max Gilbert has left Bodmin to sign for Bodmin Mousehole wonder what happened to all the signings Bodmin  made including Neil Warnocks son and they had also  signed a black lad who was suppose tear  the league apart  wheres  .I have Helston vs Falmouth down for  adraw tonight but if Helston havvnt got a goalie could be a Falmouth win .

Helston still have their young keeper kieran who has been in and around the 1st team and played County youth... Be nice if they gave youth a chance 

Heard they were in for Bodmins ollie chenoweth 

St Blazey on £50 a game was told by 1 of there players ,money is ruining local if clubs go to the wall they only got themslves to blame I was told Jason turned down £150 a game to stayat St Austell he deserves a pat on the back .How can clubs afford to pay out silly  money when they dont even get the number of Peolple through the gates .All clubs should be on the same money something needs to be done to stop silly payments going out , they dont play forthe love of the game anymore its whose got the most money its all wrong .

St Blazey on £50 a game was told by 1 of there players ,money is ruining local if clubs go to the wall they only got themslves to blame I was told Jason turned down £150 a game to stayat St Austell he deserves a pat on the back .How can clubs afford to pay out silly  money when they dont even get the number of Peolple through the gates .All clubs should be on the same money something needs to be done to stop silly payments going out , they dont play forthe love of the game anymore its whose got the most money its all wrong .

Just playing Devils Advocate but why is "money ruining the game" ? If individuals CHOOSE to spend their own money how they wish, then who is anyone else to say otherwise. It is down to the club to ensure they are not left high and dry should the relationship end and if they don't, then that's their own fault. Money has always been in football at most levels and if anyone says otherwise then they are either naïve or lying. It's interesting to read so many times that "I heard that..." or "a player told me.." Perhaps there is a guilding of the lilly a little bit and people get taken in by gossip. Players like to let you believe they earn more than they actually do but if the numbers are correct, who cares, am I paying? No. Are they worth it? Probably not. Get over it  - it happens and always will. The people who back clubs are hated until they come to your club and then its your turn to receive all the hostility. There is not a club who would turn down investment so people should get off their moral high horse. Perhaps clubs should ask why these investors did not choose their club to invest?? 

'Twas ever thus though, Cornish clubs have been paying money to bring players over the bridge from Plymouth since the 60's. Some have spent it wisely, some haven't. 

Stories about brown envelopes left in football boots, and the rumours about who is paying what to whom and who is funding it ,have been knocking around for over fifty years (probably longer).

Read a really interesting clipping on the Cornwall Football Memories Facebook page a while back on how in the Falmouth glory days of the seventies they appealed for more local support as over a 1000 through the gate to was needed sustain the player and travel outlay, but were averaging around 500. It caught up with them eventually, as it has to many clubs. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Just playing Devils Advocate but why is "money ruining the game" ? If individuals CHOOSE to spend their own money how they wish, then who is anyone else to say otherwise. It is down to the club to ensure they are not left high and dry should the relationship end and if they don't, then that's their own fault. Money has always been in football at most levels and if anyone says otherwise then they are either naïve or lying. It's interesting to read so many times that "I heard that..." or "a player told me.." Perhaps there is a guilding of the lilly a little bit and people get taken in by gossip. Players like to let you believe they earn more than they actually do but if the numbers are correct, who cares, am I paying? No. Are they worth it? Probably not. Get over it  - it happens and always will. The people who back clubs are hated until they come to your club and then its your turn to receive all the hostility. There is not a club who would turn down investment so people should get off their moral high horse. Perhaps clubs should ask why these investors did not choose their club to invest?? 

How about these monied “supporters” sponsoring a Care Assistant at their local Nursing Home? They’re paying some players more for a 90 minute game than most carers get for a forty hour week!

1 minute ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

How about these monied “supporters” sponsoring a Care Assistant at their local Nursing Home? They’re paying some players more for a 90 minute game than most carers get for a forty hour week!

Does that happen at any other club? I know the club and its players have made donations to local charities. Maybe the wages of our care system says more about the care sector rather than anything else but that is going off the topic. Maybe Helston, as a club, as is part of their ambition, gain a larger standing within the community and forge stronger links therein, then it might be something they look at but I feel there maybe legal implications making it a little difficult to do - but you never know. It may appear from the outside that the club and its players do nothing for the community but this is a long way from the truth but due to all the negativity and vitriol towards them, they may not wish to broadcast everything??!!??

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Just making a point, that some very average players are apparently worth more than, not only hard working care staff, but the majority of workers in Cornwall!

20 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

The club has never paid, sponsors have - the club never.

I personally dont care what anyone gets but the figures I'm hearing are bonkers! 

HMRC will read this and eventually turn up again.

I personally dont care what anyone gets but the figures I'm hearing are bonkers!

That tells me you do care and you shouldn't its not your money

15 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Sorry Older, but as far as the revenue are concerned all monies paid to players is considered to be paid via the Club, so even if it’s a brown envelope exchanged in a dark car park, HMCR will expect the Club to pay the relevant tax and national insurance as the “presumed” intermediary. The Club rather than the sponsors and players will face the most serious charges. The fines do not come cheap along with all the presumed back payments, often going back years.

There are clubs in Cornwall still paying off fines/back payments in instalments ten years or more after being nicked, and still clubs keep doing it in the expectation of getting away with it or in ignorance (which is, of course, no defence!).

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Sorry Older, but as far as the revenue are concerned all monies paid to players is considered to be paid via the Club, so even if it’s a brown envelope exchanged in a dark car park, HMCR will expect the Club to pay the relevant tax and national insurance as the “presumed” intermediary. The Club rather than the sponsors and players will face the most serious charges. The fines do not come cheap along with all the presumed back payments, often going back years.

There are clubs in Cornwall still paying off fines/back payments in instalments ten years or more after being nicked, and still clubs keep doing it in the expectation of getting away with it or in ignorance (which is, of course, no defence!).

Just a point for you Bruegel the Elder.....isn't it HMRC ?

Touche 😂😂 

3 hours ago, Smiler said:

Read it again Smiler... I was replying to a previous post...doh!

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Yes Bruegel we as a club are fully aware of the implications and have dealt with it in the past.

But a good post for those who have never dealt with HMRC before.

57 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Read it again Smiler... I was replying to a previous post...doh!

Yes Bruegel we as a club are fully aware of the implications and have dealt with it in the past.

But a good post for those who have never dealt with HMRC before.

Might have guessed that you’d have your finger on the button Older! Must have been born before yesterday!