Cornwall Football Forum

RESULT - Tuesday 3 November 2020

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULT - Tuesday 3 November 2020

Well that's it, no more football now for a few weeks after taking in the match at Mousehole this evening.

The home side increased their lead at the top of the table after an impressive, although expected home victory over a St Dennis side who have seen a few changes over recent weeks.

Mousehole could only score the one goal in the first half with that coming after 17 minutes and no surprise that it was their prolific goalscorer this season, Hayden Turner, breaking the deadlock with a well-struck shot from the left.

Despite having far more of the possession they failed to turn that into goals and had to wait until 11 minutes into the second half before increasing their lead through Josh Magin.

Magin's first goal of the season came after he turned and scored from about 7 yards out having got on the end of a cross from the left. It was good work down the left which allowed the ball to be played in and certainly Mousehole know how to play but be patient before seeing an opening and going for it.

7 minutes later St Dennis were unable to clear at the back and after a bit of a skirmish in the penalty area Mousehole wrapped up the three points with a further goal. I thought it might have gone to Josh Magin again, but I see that the club have suggested on twitter it was an own goal.

Having suggested it was impressive from Mousehole, I also thought St Dennis looked more of a side than a couple of weeks ago at Wendron.

So with our enforced break now upon us, it leaves the Seagulls six points clear of Saltash United, Dobwalls and Camelford who are all on 28 points.

Attendance tonight 147, which because of the break coming up I thought might have been better to be honest, but leading up to kick-off time, weather a tadge wet down west!

Could a month long break be turned to the advantage of the various clubs? Heard an interview with Stuart Henderson of Tavistock in which he talked about injuries starting to pile up, citing a long lay off from March to the resumption of summer training, a protracted pre-season and then a hectic schedule since resumption in September. From this point of view, perhaps a pause could be a good thing, especially if players do individual work to keep themselves ticking over and recovering from niggles.

Also, in light of the pretty much continuous rain of the last month or so, it would give pitches a breather as we go into the worst of the winter. I do accept though that the loss of gate money and bar takings will be pretty difficult for many clubs.

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Could a month long break be turned to the advantage of the various clubs? Heard an interview with Stuart Henderson of Tavistock in which he talked about injuries starting to pile up, citing a long lay off from March to the resumption of summer training, a protracted pre-season and then a hectic schedule since resumption in September. From this point of view, perhaps a pause could be a good thing, especially if players do individual work to keep themselves ticking over and recovering from niggles.

Also, in light of the pretty much continuous rain of the last month or so, it would give pitches a breather as we go into the worst of the winter. I do accept though that the loss of gate money and bar takings will be pretty difficult for many clubs.

Pitches will definitely benefit from a rest. I know parkway pitch took a hammering the last game and looked pretty cut up. I expect tonight game the pitch will be left in bad state. 

As for players and injuries I don’t think Tavistock have the biggest squad anyway so not much room to rotate players.