Cornwall Football Forum

To go to the Sin Bin!

1 minute ago, We Two said:

We understand that the sin bin attracts a yellow card and removal from the field of play by the offender who will be allowed to return to the field of play after an allotted time has been served.

I appreciate that but by the number of sin bins I’ve witnessed in the past 2 or 3 seasons, it would seem referees are being quite tolerant! 

Could come in as a handy way of dealing with the perceived foul language problem, it would still attract a fine for the card which could act as a deterrent.
Then it's back to the problem of clubs allocating referees performance marks, it's about time the F.A. realised or is informed of what the system is doing to the game.

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Too much back chat allowed in today's football,  start with the premiership to regain control is the solution.

Totally agree Older, but whilst admitting that professionals should be at the vanguard of setting an example, grassroot players and officials are intelligent enough to follow the rules, but just choose not to if it appears to be accepted.

Older. I always used the sinbin for dissent but some referee`s do not use it, I was on a Peninsular game as an assistant and was told by the referee that he didn`t use the sinbin as it affected his club marks. also We Two you cannot use the sinbin for foul and abusive language that is a red card offence, the sinbin is for dissent only.  

1 minute ago, B Manning said:

Older. I always used the sinbin for dissent but some referee`s do not use it, I was on a Peninsular game as an assistant and was told by the referee that he didn`t use the sinbin as it affected his club marks. also We Two you cannot use the sinbin for foul and abusive language that is a red card offence, the sinbin is for dissent only.  

Thank you. I can recollect seeing very, very few in the SWPL. For kicking the ball away - that would surely get a couple every game in it!

13 minutes ago, We Two said:

it would still attract a fine for the card which could act as a deterrent

My mistake, although the card would contribute to a players tally which could attract a match ban if a seasonal total is exceeded

13 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

There’s no monetary fine for a sin bin.

This is where I get slightly frustrated as we all hate the constant dissent witnessed at some games and it is often cited as a reason for failing to attract and retain official - yet the solution is right there and has been for a few years now. I’ m not saying referees should start from minute one at any sign of petulance - a couple of stern warning to the player / captain / even manager - after that send them to the bin - they soon shut up when it starts happening. 
I thought The Waltz mentioned on another thread that the yellow counts towards ‘totting up’ for ban as well - I didn’t know that?

Over the last week we’ve had a player versus us done for dissent for kicking a ball away yet in the next match the ball was kicked away three times by opposition players with the ref not bothering much. 
I’m not arguing what is/isn’t dissent but clarity and consistency is good. Many refs, as people are anyway, seem to put up with more than others when none of them should or have to. 

59 minutes ago, WendronOfficial said:

Over the last week we’ve had a player versus us done for dissent for kicking a ball away yet in the next match the ball was kicked away three times by opposition players with the ref not bothering much. 
I’m not arguing what is/isn’t dissent but clarity and consistency is good. Many refs, as people are anyway, seem to put up with more than others when none of them should or have to. 

More consistency would come with the abolishment of the marking system where a referees performance is given marks by club officials.
The inherent problem is who would assess the ref without adding to the cost of a game using assessors.
It's more than doubtful that clubs would be willing or even able to pay assessors unless players were willing to take a pay cut.

I'm sure genuine club officials are able to mark a referees performance having watched the match and use the guidance. Over the course of a few weeks it will become clear the officials giving an educated mark rather than a guess and maybe depending on the result. I don't agree with abolishing this system. Certain games do have an accessor present so marks can be compared for consistency, or not.

On 02/10/2021 at 11:15, B Manning said:

I was on a Peninsular game as an assistant and was told by the referee that he didn`t use the sinbin as it affected his club marks.

There's your answer Keith, straight from the horses mouth ( no offence intended B. Manning ) there is a referee choosing not to implement the rules of the game in case it affects his marks.
Is the possible resultant assessor likely to downgrade a ref if he continues to apply the rules of the game ?