Cornwall Football Forum

Senior Cup 2nd Rd draw

Several interesting looking games. Helston v Liskeard and Saltash v Camelford in particular are two Cornish sides that are doing well in the Western League against two of the brightest sides in the Peninsula League. Couple of encounters that are given extra edge by the step 5 v step 6 rivalry, and just the boost that the Senior Cup was hoping for (shame the competition has been reduced in size and downgraded though).

21 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

just the boost that the Senior Cup was hoping for (shame the competition has been reduced in size and downgraded though).

Was the change last year initiated to boost the Senior Cup, or make another competition available to those teams in the St Piran, ECPL and Cornwall Combination who didn't have a chance to win the Senior Cup? Personally I don't feel the Senior Cup needed a boost!

36 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Was the change last year initiated to boost the Senior Cup, or make another competition available to those teams in the St Piran, ECPL and Cornwall Combination who didn't have a chance to win the Senior Cup? Personally I don't feel the Senior Cup needed a boost!

Meant boost in the sense that it is a return to the 70's/80's and early 90's when we had the spice of the SW League clubs v Western League clubs, and a chance to put one over on the perceived "big boys." I, like you, feel that something has been lost with the move to this new format. Read in an issue of the Cornwall Football Magazine about Gunnislake's's run to the semis of the competition in the 80's when (i think) they were in the P&D league. Similar giant killing and fairy tale stories wouldn't be possible now.