Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 6 October 2021

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 6 October 2021

Good 1-1 draw for the G tonight St Austell certainly didnt have there shooting boots on tonight wave after wave of St Austell players swarmed down on the G goal but wayward shooting and over hit passes the magnificent G defence hung on and even went in at half time 1-0 through Gav Perraton . The G goalie Ollie Patterson wa lucky he didnt get sent off when he handled outside his area but the ref gave him the benefit of the doubt .HT G 1-0 up .2nd half St Austell continue to attack but there shooting at goal was abysmal , the G defended brilliant with the outstanding Matt Saunders back in the heart of the G DEFENCE alongside my MOM Luke Hunter .still St Austell attacked and they got there deserved equaliser from Matt Searle ,Francis Penberthy continue to cause havoc on the wing for the G but his final ball was poor .St Austell will wonder how they didnt win this game by a high score but give the G credit there defence was like my fav film Zulu holding off the Zulu attack . My Mom for the G was going to say the defence even young G goalie played well and his confidence is growing but MOM for me Luke Hunter outstanding and for St Austell George Marris even though he did go off injured .Ok onto Saturdays game vs Callington and hope the G continue where they left off tonight ,Callington got so many good players there something must be drastically wrong there with the results they have been getting . Enjoyed the game ref made some strange decisions but well done ref for being nice and not sending young Ollie off .

St Blazey 3, Newquay 1

All the goals came in the second half of this match with St Blazey making the most of forays down the right side of the pitch.

Both sides certainly put the effort in over the first 45 minutes, but the killer pass or the decisive touch in the opponents penalty area just wasn’t there.

I believe it’s the first time I’ve seen Orlando Anker and I thought he started the game lively and looked to threaten the St Blazey right flank, but as the match went on he faded out of it.

On the half hour striker Phil Lowry must have been so close to getting on the end of one of Anker’s crosses! 

Probably the best chance for St Blazey came just before the interval when an Olly Brokenshire well hit shot came back out off the Newquay keeper Nathan Prentice and Liam Eddy just couldn’t react quick enough to get over the ball and his effort looped up over the cross bar!

It looked more promising early on in the second half that we might get a goal as Eddy shot into the side netting and at the other end Jason Chapman made a fully-stretched save to push away a Danny Carne effort.

Then a teasing, weaving run into the box by Anker ended with the ref calling play back for a free-kick just outside the box but Shepherd could only hit the wall.

Around the hour St Blazey pounced  – not once but twice. Both attacks coming out of good build up play and both coming at the Newquay goal on the right. Kyle Marks shot across the keeper for the first and skipper Neil Slateford made it 2-0.

St Blazey then had a strong appeal for a penalty declined (you’d best decide by watching Paul’s footage) before we went into the last quarter and again Marks is dashing down the right - this time a cross from him finds sub Rory Jarvis, who had only just replaced Eddy, for his first touch to end in a goal and at 3-0 it sealed the match outcome.

3 minutes later Marks watched his shot crash against the cross bar and bounce back out into play. This was quickly followed with Kyle optimistically glancing towards the assistant ref, but nothing!

Give Newquay some credit though and on the 79th min one of their subs, Josh Harris, was in the right place to knock in a telling ball into the 6 yard box from Danny Carne.

St Blazey were more than capable though of ensuring nothing more was given away and although they remain in 6thplace despite the victory, I think the management will be happy with the whole squad looking more up for it.

For Newquay - they’ll play far worse than tonight and win!

Very good game at Blaise Park last night, 1st half could have gone either way , but St Blazey far better 2nd half when they concentrated on playing the ball on the ground rather than going long all the time. Good to see Liam Eddy start and complete most of the match. Thought the ref controlled the game well, relieved when he gave Newquay a free kick outside the area when I thought it was a penalty, but evened it up by not giving Blazey one, which looked pretty clear cut to me. Only 1 yellow late in the game I can remember.

14 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

St Blazey 3, Newquay 1

All the goals came in the second half of this match with St Blazey making the most of forays down the right side of the pitch.

Both sides certainly put the effort in over the first 45 minutes, but the killer pass or the decisive touch in the opponents penalty area just wasn’t there.

I believe it’s the first time I’ve seen Orlando Anker and I thought he started the game lively and looked to threaten the St Blazey right flank, but as the match went on he faded out of it.

On the half hour striker Phil Lowry must have been so close to getting on the end of one of Anker’s crosses! 

Probably the best chance for St Blazey came just before the interval when an Olly Brokenshire well hit shot came back out off the Newquay keeper Nathan Prentice and Liam Eddy just couldn’t react quick enough to get over the ball and his effort looped up over the cross bar!

It looked more promising early on in the second half that we might get a goal as Eddy shot into the side netting and at the other end Jason Chapman made a fully-stretched save to push away a Danny Carne effort.

Then a teasing, weaving run into the box by Anker ended with the ref calling play back for a free-kick just outside the box but Shepherd could only hit the wall.

Around the hour St Blazey pounced  – not once but twice. Both attacks coming out of good build up play and both coming at the Newquay goal on the right. Kyle Marks shot across the keeper for the first and skipper Neil Slateford made it 2-0.

St Blazey then had a strong appeal for a penalty declined (you’d best decide by watching Paul’s footage) before we went into the last quarter and again Marks is dashing down the right - this time a cross from him finds sub Rory Jarvis, who had only just replaced Eddy, for his first touch to end in a goal and at 3-0 it sealed the match outcome.

3 minutes later Marks watched his shot crash against the cross bar and bounce back out into play. This was quickly followed with Kyle optimistically glancing towards the assistant ref, but nothing!

Give Newquay some credit though and on the 79th min one of their subs, Josh Harris, was in the right place to knock in a telling ball into the 6 yard box from Danny Carne.

St Blazey were more than capable though of ensuring nothing more was given away and although they remain in 6thplace despite the victory, I think the management will be happy with the whole squad looking more up for it.

For Newquay - they’ll play far worse than tonight and win!

Considering that it's an all new squad and management, would think that Blazey will be quietly satisfied with being in the top 6. Difficult start and, except for that 6-1 defeat to Dobwalls which can be put down as "one of those days", they have been pretty competitive with high flying Wadebridge being the only reverse in 90 minutes over the last month.

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Considering that it's an all new squad and management, would think that Blazey will be quietly satisfied with being in the top 6. Difficult start and, except for that 6-1 defeat to Dobwalls which can be put down as "one of those days", they have been pretty competitive with high flying Wadebridge being the only reverse in 90 minutes over the last month.

New squad and manager? You realise most of the players have played under Laferty at St Austell don't you?

Camelford 2-2 Bodmin

I wasn’t at the match (away with eldest’s Passing Out Parade) - but got regular updates.

Camelford had some great chances in the first half, as did Bodmin but I am reliably informed Camels should have gone in at HT with a lead but not to be 0-0

Second half saw all the goals

58 Bobby Hopkinson back heel from a defensive scramble 1-0

72 Adam Boxall  with a now ‘trademark’ free kick 2-0

74 Jordan Bentley header from a corner nearly straight from the restart 2-1

82 Dan Jennings - dispossessed defender and ran through for good finish 2-2

Camels missed some other great chances / great saves, as did Levi Landricombe (including a penalty shout where he dived - and was carded) - game finished 2-2

Shows how fortunes have changed - before the season Camelford would have been happy with 2 points from two games against Bodmin and their ‘big name’ players - and now they are really gutted to only have 4 points from the same two fixtures. 

I am still sure Bodmin will turn it around and start to climb the league - they are too good a team not to (and they owe it to Mr Gilbert) and personally happy to have got those two games done before they do lol. 

It could be that Bodmin and St Blazey will have a lot of say in who wins the league this season. Both have probably dropped too many points to win it themselves, but as the players settle in and learn about each other, the teams will improve and be dangerous opposition to the likes of Liskeard and Falmouth. Falmouth haven't played Liskeard or Blazey yet so the opportunity to drop a few points is there.

Still backing them to win it though!