Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Friday & Saturday, 17th & 18th December 2021

13 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Can't lie, he's nice away from football.

Unfortunately that does nothing to improve his reputation, maybe he should take a step back and consider the damage that is done by a seemingly uncontrolable temper in a football enviroment.
On the face of it can we honestly believe that such antics will not be repeated elsewhere at some time if its inherrent in someones character?

1 hour ago, The Torpoint Massive said:

Torpoint Athletic 4-1 Cullompton Rangers

SWPL Premier Division East

With Robbie Morris at The Mill

Torpoint Athletic are up to 4th in the SWPL Premier Division East table after another fine performance at The Mill on Saturday afternoon with a hat-trick from striker Ryan Richards in this comprehensive win over Cullompton Rangers.

The visitors started off brightly with a number of half chances from Jack Bryant and Aiden Horne to put the pressure on the home side right from the start but their early dominance was short lived as the men from The Mill clicked into gear from ten minutes in to the match.

On the tenth minute the home side had their first chance of the match when Ryan Richards broke clear of The Cully defence and took a shot from the edge of the area with visiting keeper Aaron Marks blocking the ball and pushed it round the post.

A couple of minutes later the hosts took the lead when CallumThompson shot home from 12 yards after Curtis Damerell put the ball in to Thompson after Damerell made the most of a Cullomptondefensive mistake.

A minute later Darren Hicks could of doubled the lead for the home side when he lobbed the ball from 25 yards, the ball rattled the crossbar.

On the 22nd minute the home side doubled their advantage on the visitors when Richards dribbled the ball around visiting keeper Marks to shoot home into an empty net.

On the half hour mark the visitors could have got back into the match when Joe Willinson curled the ball inches wide of the far post.

Four minutes later the home side scored their third of the afternoon when a 40 yard superb pass over the top from Paul Heveran found Richards to clinically finish past Marks. 

On the 40th minute, more good build up play by the home side found Mike Lucas to shoot just wide from the edge of the area.

With a couple minutes left of the first half, Wilkinson for the visitors had a one on one with home keeper Jason Peters who well saved the ball and then Darren Hicks blocked the loose ball.

On the 58th minute Cullompton pulled a goal back when Aiden Horne shot home from just inside the area to reduce the deficit.

Just after the hour the mark the visitors were reduced to ten men, when Jack Lewis was shown a straight red card for an elbow on Torpoint’s Paul Heveran.

On the 73rd minute Ryan Richards restored the home sides three goal advantage when he shot home from close range to get his hat-trick. Callum Thompson and Charlie Hardcastle created this goal when they both interchanged passes for the latter to set up Richards.

In the last couple of minutes of the match, the home side kept on the pressure when Richards headed the ball just wide of the far post and Sam West shot just wide of the post from 20 yards.

Torpoint Athletic: J. Peters, P. Heveran, D. Hicks (C. Holder 82), O. Haslam, S. Hillson, C. O’Brien, C. Thompson (S. West 81), M. Lucas (G. Hird 66), C. Damerell, R. Richards, C. Hardcastle.   

Subs not used: J. Forrest, J. Bryan.

Bookings: S. Hillson 60, P. Heveran 63.

Torpoint’s ScorersC. Thompson 12, R, Richards 22, 24, 73.

Cullompton Rangers: A. Marks, J. Pearson, J. Lewis, A. Lanabeer, R. Conroy (R. Loosemore 83), C. Bryant, J. Bryant (L. Horen 59), S. Bryant, J. Wilkinson, A. Horne, S. Jones.    

Subs not used: P. Pocock, M. Scott.

Bookings: A. Langabeer 24, R. Conroy 63.

Sent Off: J. Lewis 63.

Cullompton’s ScorerA. Horne 58.

Referee: Andrew Heapy (Exmouth)

Att: 112

MOM: Ryan Richards (Torpoint Athletic)

Good report, although I’m surprised you didn’t mention the Cullompton disallowed goal in the first few minutes, as for me that was a controversial decision. The let off did kick Torpoint into gear though as the rest of the first half was a procession and the visitors were lucky to go in only 3 down. They did show more grit and determination in the 2nd half and deservedly pulled one back, then the sending off undoubtedly ended chance they may have had of getting anything from this game. The guy who was red carded should hang his head in shame for a challenge which was close to being ABH.  Another good win for Torpoint with 2 of the goals being sublime moves and finishes. Not only do they create chances and score loads, their constant pressure means they gain many corners. The week before against Newton Abbot, they must have had over 20 corners and approaching the same number yesterday.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

Penzance 1v6 St Blazey. Att.70est.

A few highlights from todays match. The last goal for St Blazey was very well worked and a great finish. 

No programme today. 😕

The pitch was looking very good for December. 

Not a bad set of highlights. It certainly looks as though St Blazey move the ball around well. I'm hoping to watch them at some point this season!

8 hours ago, Roy D said:

Ive seen Bodmin play 3 or 4 times in recent years & in those games I've seen constant abuse from the Bodmin manager towards opposing players, fans & officials. In fact I'd go as far as to say he's the worst I've ever seen in Cornish football for that & the language he uses is disgusting. So to justify his actions by saying he was "jeered & gobbed off" at by a group of fans is a major copout. I didn't realise the bloke had such a reputation but if the comments here are anything to go by it seems he's done this time & time again & will continue to get away with it. 

As older stated, the man he chose to try to fight after the game was 1 of the quietest men you'll meet, who was watching the game with 2 committee members (both pensioners) so I highly doubt it was him who goaded the Bodmin manager. As Older also stated the fan is about a foot taller than the gaffer & is certainly not 1 to be messed with, so probably lucky for him that his players dragged him away & split it up.   

As for the throat grab it's pretty irrelevant that you didn't see it, as I saw it as did many people on twitter who have reported seeing it. It happened. 

I see Bodmin have announced that Matt Hayden has joined the management .

I have a friend who i had hospital treatment with and he said Darren did go overboard yesterday and its all to do with players crying off before the match .My friend said Darren will be finishing this year and he may go even sooner hes just had enough .I think it will be very dull without Mr Gilbert shouting and screaming from the touchline i like the bloke hes very passionate about Bodmin see how many trophies that club has won not many can beat his record as a manager and by all accounts hes a lovely bloke away from football its just when he steps on to the pitch a very short fuse usually explodes .You got to feel for the poor bugger he hasnt been able to put a regulary team on the pitch you had Levi Landricombe ,Tornada Bello and lots more seem to of gone ,but Bodmin will come good again this has just been a awful season for them 

Wendron 3 Newquay 2

Enjoyable game despite the awful windy conditions, Newquay looked good first have dominated play, Newquay no 6 in midfield looked good, made some strong tackles one of which looked high to say the least but also tidy on the ball not sure on the name, away team deserved the lead on both occasions had should’ve won the game but were poor in front of goal. Wendron took all their chances well, one being a big mistake from the keeper. Lots of moaning on the game from players and benches but thought ref had a good game. 

away team unfortunate to come away with nothing but if you’re going to miss chances early on the that’s going to happen

Ground looked good as always. Pitch cut up very quickly. Next up the Xmas derbies 

44 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

What does Hayden bring ? Darren was all about his contacts bringing in players he knew . All of Hayden’s players are at callington . Will be a real eye opener for Bodmin next season a club all ready getting left behind unfortunately 

That could of  been Darren's downfall bringing in players he knows. Maybe Hayden will build a team who actually are a team who turn up every week.

It's really poor just how many are willing to defend the indefensible. 

Seems this league is rife with toxic thuggery in all forms. I've said repeatedly on this forum that you can be a win at all costs person without feeling the need to be a reprehensible piece of work. 

If things don't go your way and thus leads an individual to fail comprehensively in controlling their rage/temper, how are you guaranteeing the safety of playing staff, spectators and officials. 

It's really sad our game is in this state, but even sadder that so many willingly sweep it under the rug!

11 hours ago, mattelot said:

I see Bodmin have announced that Matt Hayden has joined the management .

Let's hope that they don't upset each other if things don't go as they planned on the pitch.
If Bodmin want to bring back the following they used to have, maybe someone who doesnt feel the need to yell expletives at all and sundry both on and off the pitch, would be an asset.
Enthusiasm is to be encouraged, but foul mouthed and physical abuse that some see fit to try and defend, is against the rules of the sport of football  let alone the rules of the land regarding threatened or actual assault.
A well known professional manager in the early days of the Premiership shouted his opinion in no uncertain terms of the decision the ref had just made, he was shown a red card and consequently fined and banned from the touchline for three matches.     Have the rules been changed or is there special dispensation for some?

35 minutes ago, Roche Raider said:

t's really poor just how many are willing to defend the indefensible. 

Seems this league is rife with toxic thuggery in all forms. I've said repeatedly on this forum that you can be a win at all costs person without feeling the need to be a reprehensible piece of work. 

If things don't go your way and thus leads an individual to fail comprehensively in controlling their rage/temper, how are you guaranteeing the safety of playing staff, spectators and officials. 

It's really sad our game is in this state, but even sadder that so many willingly sweep it under the rug!

Well said Roche Raider it's good to know that there are still people who can see the potential damage being done to our game.
Maybe if the refs were told to tighen up on implementing the use of existing rules might help.   The referee marking system would have to be abandoned for that to happen.

Dobwalls 1 Sticker 0

This was a lively encounter with end to end football throughout.

Dobwalls missed numerous chances and should have been out of site by half time.

Only a well struck free kick from 25 yards by Danny Zallick that found the top corner gave them the slim lead at the break.

The second spell was more even but neither side could break the other defence down.

Sticker are made of sterner stuff these days and will surely cause a few upsets as the season progresses.

I look forward to the Christmas local derby with Liskeard if football is still being played?

Merry Christmas to you all.

13 hours ago, silly billy said:

That could of  been Darren's downfall bringing in players he knows. Maybe Hayden will build a team who actually are a team who turn up every week.

Are GaryJeffrey and Alan Carey still involved? 

Darren Gilbert will be greatly missed when he's gone. Shame that his legacy will be these last few years, and not the trophy laden 10 years or so up until 2016. Looking back, it's not been the same at Bodmin since Lee Hobbs left the assistant manager job in 2016/17 and moved to Parkway.

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Dobwalls 1 Sticker 0

This was a lively encounter with end to end football throughout.

Dobwalls missed numerous chances and should have been out of site by half time.

Only a well struck free kick from 25 yards by Danny Zallick that found the top corner gave them the slim lead at the break.

The second spell was more even but neither side could break the other defence down.

Sticker are made of sterner stuff these days and will surely cause a few upsets as the season progresses.

I look forward to the Christmas local derby with Liskeard if football is still being played?

Merry Christmas to you all.

From what I’ve seen of Dobwalls this season, I reckon with a couple of additions they could be a really good side. I like the goalkeeper and the CB pairing are excellent, so a good basis to build on. I also like their willingness to keep going, against the mighty Falmouth for example, they were in the game for far longer than the more highly rated Camelford were when they played Falmouth. Nice people behind the scenes as well. 

16 minutes ago, Non League fan said:

Penryn only won by the odd goal with a man in his 50’s in Bodmins midfield puts a bit of a reality check on standards in this League. 

Nailed it and it’s the 1st year can you imagine how poor it’ll be in a couple more when Falmouth/liskeard and blazey go ? 

13 minutes ago, 6times said:

Nailed it and it’s the 1st year can you imagine how poor it’ll be in a couple more when Falmouth/liskeard and blazey go ? 

I've said this all along.. Gradually all the peninsula teams will have moved up (technically not that far up as they will all be playing each other again. 

Shame as the Peninsulas a really well ran league

9 hours ago, davegrose said:

Maybe Dave deacon should of named this thread the Darren Gilbert witch hunt instead of results Friday/Saturday lol

That is a rather unfair appraisal Darin, or are you suggesting that foul and/or abusive behaviour should or will be ignored ? is it fair comment to say that alledgedly grabbing someone by the throat, and threatening another is all part of the game and not worthy of discussion.
As long as this sort of thing happens at a ground, and agressive foul language etc is used, some of a more retiring nature, especially those with a young family, will rightly complain.
If you feel that such incidents should not be reported and consequently discussed on the forum, perhaps we should ask the administrators to list potential thread headings that can be discussed.  
The very obvious problem at this level and its consequences have been mentioned many times on this forum, remove the clubs ability to mark a referee and let them get on with administering the rules of the game without the fear of being down graded by a possibly biased club officials opinion.  

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Nothing to do with me Dave!

I've never found Darren a problem to be honest. 

If the rumours are true, and Darren Gilbert is stepping away at the end of the season, then he would be an excellent subject for a future Cornwall Football Memories podcast.

People tend to forget what a good player he was for Liskeard, Saltash, Launceston and Bodmin before his trophy laden managerial career. 

On 21/12/2021 at 08:00, We Two said:

That is a rather unfair appraisal Darin, or are you suggesting that foul and/or abusive behaviour should or will be ignored ? is it fair comment to say that alledgedly grabbing someone by the throat, and threatening another is all part of the game and not worthy of discussion.
As long as this sort of thing happens at a ground, and agressive foul language etc is used, some of a more retiring nature, especially those with a young family, will rightly complain.
If you feel that such incidents should not be reported and consequently discussed on the forum, perhaps we should ask the administrators to list potential thread headings that can be discussed.  
The very obvious problem at this level and its consequences have been mentioned many times on this forum, remove the clubs ability to mark a referee and let them get on with administering the rules of the game without the fear of being down graded by a possibly biased club officials opinion.  

As I stated it was a results thread lol, maybe start another thread yourself as we gotta scroll down through all n sundry having a dig at a guy that doesn't even comment on here lol

2 hours ago, davegrose said:

As I stated it was a results thread lol, maybe start another thread yourself as we gotta scroll down through all n sundry having a dig at a guy that doesn't even comment on here lol

Think Mr Gilbert experienced a bit of karma on the day, he's dished enough verbal to others in his time...didn't like it it neither. 

On 21/12/2021 at 08:00, We Two said:

Above is as said previously, and we don't know whether Mr Gilbert uses a pseudonym to pass comment on the forum, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, we are not privy to that information.