Cornwall Football Forum

Referees in the Premier league.

St Darren

On 22/06/2024 at 06:35, St Darren said:

It was subjective though so why didn’t he go to the monitor.  

the goal should have been given as the keeper was nowhere near it 

The referee is only invited to review a decision where the VAR, following a check, believes a clear and obvious error has been made. It is not used to confirm an on field decision, or take a second look. 

Had the on field decision been goal the referee would have been asked to view the monitor. 

Far from the worst decision, it's actually probably the most complex in real time and the team got it correct on field. 

In terms of process referee and ARs was excellent to arrive at the initial on field decision. Not sure why VAR took so long, unless they were checking something else in the build up as well?  Should have been is he offside? Yes. Is he in the way of the GK movement towards the ball? Yes. Check Complete. 

14 hours ago, bighairydave said:

I do agree though, even though it was ruled offside on field, it still should have been one to check by on-field referee on the monitor to sell the decision. Issue is, once going to the monitor the expectations (set by themselves in fairness) will be that the decision is overturned.

The protocol doesn't allow for it. The expectation would be set, not because the referees have set that, but because the referee should only view the monitor where a clear and obvious error, or serious missed incident has occurred and not as a confirmatory second look. 

A referee will never be sent to the monitor if the on field decision is not a clear and obvious error. I think that's the bit that most struggle with in all of VAR.

7 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

The referee is only invited to review a decision where the VAR, following a check, believes a clear and obvious error has been made. It is not used to confirm an on field decision, or take a second look. 

Had the on field decision been goal the referee would have been asked to view the monitor. 

Far from the worst decision, it's actually probably the most complex in real time and the team got it correct on field. 

In terms of process referee and ARs was excellent to arrive at the initial on field decision. Not sure why VAR took so long, unless they were checking something else in the build up as well?  Should have been is he offside? Yes. Is he in the way of the GK movement towards the ball? Yes. Check Complete. 

The protocol doesn't allow for it. The expectation would be set, not because the referees have set that, but because the referee should only view the monitor where a clear and obvious error, or serious missed incident has occurred and not as a confirmatory second look. 

A referee will never be sent to the monitor if the on field decision is not a clear and obvious error. I think that's the bit that most struggle with in all of VAR.

Protocol or no protocol, I think a second look in this scenario would have sold the decision so much better.

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

The reason why it took so long is

..... the whole concept of VAR! Darren - VAR is awful!

The reason why it took so long is because of the inability of Stuart Atwell.  He’s awful on the pitch and even worse at VAR

Your opinion of course, but likewise some reading this think otherwise. 

I have to say in general I think the refs have been pretty good so far. Not so sure about the on yesterday though in the Georgia v Czechia, a bit too keen with his yellow card! 

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Protocol or no protocol, I think a second look in this scenario would have sold the decision so much better.

That kind of defeats the point of having a VAR. It's had a 2nd look as another referee and assistant referee and a VAR supervisor have all had a 2nd look. 

I get your point though, optically to the world viewing the referee going to the monitor, might sell it, but in reality it would delay the game even further for very minimal gain. 

Otherwise do away with the VAR and just let the referee go to the monitor whenever he wants a second look

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, St Darren said:

Should there be a yellow card?

@bighairydave is spot on. 

It is a common myth (along with many others) that all deliberate handball offences are cautioned.

It is not, handball offences are cautioned when they:

Stop/interfere with a promising attack (2 caveats, if referee plays advantage, or, awards a penalty for a non-deliberate handball offence that stops a promising attack then no caution is issued)

Attempts to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or unsuccessfully attempts to prevent a goal. 

And of course there is the new law amendment where a goal is denied or an obvious goal scoring opportunity is denied by a non-deliberate handball offence.

(Non-deliberate handball offences are where a player makes their body unnaturally bigger and this is not a consequence of or justifiable for the players movement in that specific situation).

10 hours ago, St Darren said:

Should be applying laws surely?

is this not the major frustration with the referees? The inconsistency of applying the laws

Your whats wrong with the footballing community at the moment someone that has never blown a whistle in their life but thinks they understand the job and the rules. 

11 hours ago, St Darren said:

Should be applying laws surely?

is this not the major frustration with the referees? The inconsistency of applying the laws

It is literally in the laws:

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee’s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

Why don't you tell us why you think I should have been a yellow. Seems all clips have been disabled and haven't seen it. Most of the comments refer to it being deliberate, which as has already been explained does not make it a caution offence.

2 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Why don't you tell us why you think I should have been a yellow.

Probably because he's a Liverpool supporter! 😀

2 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Your whats wrong with the footballing community at the moment someone that has never blown a whistle in their life but thinks they understand the job and the rules. 

Isn't it "laws"? :c:

4 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

You’re not your.

I can inform you that I have!

I was under the impression that if a player deliberately handballs it as the Ipswich player did then it is a bookable offence. If that’s not the case then fair enough.

I will continue to criticise referees who don’t do their jobs correctly despite being handsomely paid!

6 hours ago, St Darren said:

Looking forward to seeing more clothes line techniques this season!

Being blown out of proportion in my opinion. It's an arm over the shoulder across the chest and a pull back. Doesnt look great but as far as I am concerned yellow card was the correct outcome.

But it is subjective and of course other opinions may be different, even amongst referees... Shock! 

1 hour ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Being blown out of proportion in my opinion. It's an arm over the shoulder across the chest and a pull back. Doesnt look great but as far as I am concerned yellow card was the correct outcome.

But it is subjective and of course other opinions may be different, even amongst referees... Shock! 

Across the chest?   How high is the chest?

18 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Across the chest?   How high is the chest?

Look at it again ... Screenshot_20240826-112520.thumb.png.581dfb287f6189683d3f65d71d64301b.png

Right arm over the shoulder, down and across chest.  The players hand is literally on the keepers pectoral muscle which last time I checked was the chest area... 

It's also a pull back rather than a forward motion you would see in a "clothes line".

Dale Johnson on Twitter criticised both decisions!!

opinions I aupppse 

You need to understand not only the rules but the fact that individuals se things differently.at all levels we see opinions split between teams, between refs.yiu just needed to be at Helston to see that in motion today.

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Correct.  It’s soft but it’s a yellow.  But we lack the consistency because the Brighton player wasn’t booked earlier. 

Exactly - He stitched rice up like a Kipper but he should have had a yellow for kicking Rices shins. Though the ref was poor all game - And I'm not even a Gooner

The ball was moving so any free kick would have had to have been re-taken. Rice toe poked the ball away, about a distance of fifteen inches. Matey then saw his chance by pretending to want to lash a free kick sixty yards crossfield, and in the same instance take the opportunity to whack Rice across the shins. He got away with it - Rice didn't, but if you can't see what was happening there then you're  a tad naive Barry 

13 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

The ball was moving so any free kick would have had to have been re-taken. Rice toe poked the ball away, about a distance of fifteen inches. Matey then saw his chance by pretending to want to lash a free kick sixty yards crossfield, and in the same instance take the opportunity to whack Rice across the shins. He got away with it - Rice didn't, but if you can't see what was happening there then you're  a tad naive Barry 

Rice stopped the free kick from being taken quickly!

it’s soft but it’s a yellow card by law

How about another thought on this subject .?

Most Premiership players earn more in a week than the Prime Minister or brain surgeon earn in a year . These grossly overpaid players complain about match officials , but do they ever look at themselves ? aside from making mistakes  do they ever feel guilty about wrestling and shirt pulling at corners , free kicks etc. Some of it is so blatant that Stevie Wonder would see it . Many people defend this as " passion for the game " and taking one for the team . In old money this was regarded as cheating  but in the modern game in the fans and pundits eyes its perfectly acceptable .Is there any other sport ( ignoring drug enhancement ) where wholesale cheating is acceptable in the eyes of players , club management and supporters . 

One question , totally unrelated to football which is baffling both myself and some journalists particularly motorsport ones . Why do the commentators and pundits in motorsport no longer use first , second , third etc . or qualifying one, two etc . but refer to P1, P2  ,Q1 , Q 2 and football pundits refer to a pen  . My childish mind often thinks  that Kane , Sterling  and Grealish  have won more pens than W.H.Smith .