Stithians                               4-6          Praze-An-Beeble

JUBILEE CUP

Helston Raiders                 1-5          St Keverne

LEAGUE CUP

St Erme                                3-2          Frogpool & Cusgarne

LOCKHART CUP

New Inn Titans                  1-0          Wendron United 4th

RUSSELL HALL CUP

Dropship                              3-1          Probus (at Carharrack)

St  Agnes 3rd                        3-0          Stithians Reserves (at Perranporth)

Russell Hall Cup Semi-Final

Dropship 3, Probus 1

"Memorable for the wrong reasons" was Val of the Tea Hut's verdict after half-an-hour. Too right! It had crossed my mind that if this game proved unentertaining then at 2.30 I could pop over to Illogan to watch their St Piran League game against Falmouth Town, having lost to them in the reverse fixture.

However, fortified by a bacon butty and a cup of tea, I became engrossed in this Trelawney tussle. Probus had won both league matches 2 - 0 so this looked an interesting game on paper, Probus having already won the league.

Probus kicked down the slope first half but did not seem to make much headway. Dropship attacked from the start and were awarded a rather soft penalty, converted in the 5th minute, the goalie having been sent (or choosing to dive) the wrong way. Less than 10 minutes later, another pen was conceded by a Probus defender diving to make a reflex save. A red card offence these days but no card was shown. The pen was brilliantly saved only for the parried ball to fall straight into the path of the penalty-taker who scored easily.

Then all hell broke loose. The Dropship 'keeper was horrendously charged with the ball in his hands and no foul, never a mind a card, was awarded. With tempers up, a few minutes later and again the 'keeper was flattened by a late challenge - again no card - and his reaction might have earned him a card. Instead, the ref awarded a penalty to Probus, which was converted for 2 - 1 on 21 minutes.

I moved behind the Dropship goal and had a few words with the 'keeper, to the effect that he wouldn't be helping his team much if he got himself sent off.

Second half, Dropship now down the slope and we were entertained to some end-to-end stuff as Probus went for the equaliser. It was one of those "next goal's vital" situations and with few shots either end as defences dominated, it was a towering 71st minute header off a left-wing corner that clinched it for Dropship. Still, defences dominated as Probus kept pushing and Dropship kept them out. Much jubilation for them at the final whistle.

Carharrack's pitch looked splendid, I have to say. It seems the League had some difficulty finding neutral pitches for the semis, not helped by Hayle's apparent £100 fee for their all-weather pitch. I'd be keen to see the breakdown of the costs involved with arriving at that amount.

Butty £2, tea £1, and as it turned out, a good afternoon's entertainment for the neutral.

Dropship 3 Probus 1

Not sure I agree with all of Tom’s report above, but if I was watching I would have probably found a different game to go and watch somewhere, anywhere!!! Dropship won both league games 2-0 and not us! I agree that the first penalty was a soft decision, but it doesn’t really matter what I think, the only man that counts was wearing black. In my opinion, the second penalty wasn’t a ‘reflex save’, the ball hit our defender whose arm was on the floor after sliding in to make a tackle, but the ref felt it was in an unnatural position and away from the defenders body - it definitely wasn’t an attempted save! The penalties given were the type that you’re happy if they go to you, but unhappy if they go against you. I’m not sure I agree with the comments about the first incident with the DS keeper, he dropped the ball, our player challenged, the ref gave a foul, the keeper lost his head. Not long after the keeper did the same, but this time totally over-reacted and made contact with our player. Well played to the assistant ref who flagged and after consulting with the ref, a penalty was given. The keeper was booked, and Luke Gaye smashed the ball in to make it 2-1. 
We tried to get after Dropship in the second half but we never really got going and we didn’t create a lot. They scored with a free header from a corner that we shouldn’t have conceded. We lost Jack Truscott to an injury after a robust tackle from the DS captain, and a couple of minutes later we went down to 10 after Oscar Thomas-Donald went off with blurred vision and a headache - we could only name 1 sub today unfortunately and he was already on. The game was played out with us not creating anything but working hard.

Dropship deserved the win, we were below par but they were the better team. Overall it’s been a good season for us, winning the league and our young squad have developed well, but still lots of room to develop. Thanks to everyone involved with the league this season, to the referee Grant Porterfield and his assistants, and to Carharrack for their hospitality today. Good luck to Dropship with their Combo application, if what I heard today is true. Cricket next week now!

1 hour ago, Chris Davey said:

Dropship 3 Probus 1

Not sure I agree with all of Tom’s report above, but if I was watching I would have probably found a different game to go and watch somewhere, anywhere!!! Dropship won both league games 2-0 and not us! I agree that the first penalty was a soft decision, but it doesn’t really matter what I think, the only man that counts was wearing black. In my opinion, the second penalty wasn’t a ‘reflex save’, the ball hit our defender whose arm was on the floor after sliding in to make a tackle, but the ref felt it was in an unnatural position and away from the defenders body - it definitely wasn’t an attempted save! The penalties given were the type that you’re happy if they go to you, but unhappy if they go against you. I’m not sure I agree with the comments about the first incident with the DS keeper, he dropped the ball, our player challenged, the ref gave a foul, the keeper lost his head. Not long after the keeper did the same, but this time totally over-reacted and made contact with our player. Well played to the assistant ref who flagged and after consulting with the ref, a penalty was given. The keeper was booked, and Luke Gaye smashed the ball in to make it 2-1. 
We tried to get after Dropship in the second half but we never really got going and we didn’t create a lot. They scored with a free header from a corner that we shouldn’t have conceded. We lost Jack Truscott to an injury after a robust tackle from the DS captain, and a couple of minutes later we went down to 10 after Oscar Thomas-Donald went off with blurred vision and a headache - we could only name 1 sub today unfortunately and he was already on. The game was played out with us not creating anything but working hard.

Dropship deserved the win, we were below par but they were the better team. Overall it’s been a good season for us, winning the league and our young squad have developed well, but still lots of room to develop. Thanks to everyone involved with the league this season, to the referee Grant Porterfield and his assistants, and to Carharrack for their hospitality today. Good luck to Dropship with their Combo application, if what I heard today is true. Cricket next week now!

Note to self: don't pass on hearsay: check the past results online! Hope I can make the final.

3 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

Dropship 3 Probus 1

Thanks for the report, I was not able to watch today so great to read your reports, Dropship combo application? Not true, we're going through each trelawney division like it should be done and will only apply for combo once we're in the prem.

4 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

Dropship 3 Probus 1

He tends to watch games but make up his own story as he goes with his little note book. 

4 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

Dropship 3 Probus 1

The first attempt on the keeper was a blatant foul and worthy of a yellow card. Very late and the linesman agreed. The second challenge, very close after the first one, was just as bad and there was a bad reaction from the GK feeling he had no protection from the ref. The ref initially blew for a free kick until his reaction and gave a penalty on consultation with the assistant ref and rightly so. We can’t react like that. 

The decisions didn’t ruin a very entertaining game which was dominated through by Dropship. 

Probus’ only shot on target was the penalty. 

Wish your boys who picked up injury’s a speedy recovery with no lasting damage. 

Onto the final we go. 

43 minutes ago, Bezza101 said:

The first attempt on the keeper was a blatant foul and worthy of a yellow card. Very late and the linesman agreed. The second challenge, very close after the first one, was just as bad and there was a bad reaction from the GK feeling he had no protection from the ref. The ref initially blew for a free kick until his reaction and gave a penalty on consultation with the assistant ref and rightly so. We can’t react like that. 

The decisions didn’t ruin a very entertaining game which was dominated through by Dropship. 

Probus’ only shot on target was the penalty. 

Wish your boys who picked up injury’s a speedy recovery with no lasting damage. 

Onto the final we go. 

Amazing how different people with different affiliations see things from an opposite perspective. 

Throw in a has been "journalist " who is more interested in the catering than the actual game plus has better eyesight than everyone else, and you get the usual blame the ref culture. 

14 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

pitches for the semis, not helped by Hayle's apparent £100 fee for their all-weather pitch. I'd be keen to see the breakdown of the costs involved with arriving at that amount.

Butty £2, tea £1, and as it turned out, a good afternoon's entertainment for the neutral.

It's the cost of replacement for the carpet after approximately 10ish years... circa £200,000 that pushes up the higher rental on them.

9 hours ago, Clubman said:

Amazing how different people with different affiliations see things from an opposite perspective. 

Throw in a has been "journalist " who is more interested in the catering than the actual game plus has better eyesight than everyone else, and you get the usual blame the ref culture. 

And that’s why football is a game of options. Each have their own. 

9 hours ago, Clubman said:

At no point has the ref been blamed. It’s their  decision at the end of the day and I and my players will respect that. 

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

It's the cost of replacement for the carpet after approximately 10ish years... circa £200,000 that pushes up the higher rental on them.

Thanks, Older: hadn't thought of that. And in 10 years time, how much higher will that figure be?!

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

That's why I prefer to watch any match as a neutral. Watch without bias towards either team - and you see the game as it really is. It's more enjoyable that way. 

.... as I was on the day.

10 hours ago, Clubman said:

Don't think I ever regarded myself as a "journalist" although at my age "has been" might be seen as appropriate! Never claim my failing eyesight is "better than everyone else". Find me at a game, identify yourself and I'll buy you a cuppa - if there is catering available.

Thing is, I just enjoy my football, always have, and for me a half-time cuppa, and the banter, have been an integral part of the whole match-day spectator experience.

For those of us old enough to remember Tom you also managed a very successful woman's team at Illogan when it was less fashionable than today. I for one enjoy your take on a game and nod to volunteers at clubs you visit for the services they provide.

Let's face it you are one of the very few who bother to write anything regarding local matches.

5 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

Thanks, Older: hadn't thought of that. And in 10 years time, how much higher will that figure be?!

If inflation carries on like now there will be a lot of worn out carpets around, and the rental will be unaffordable. 

Our ladies team inquired a few weeks back for a local one... the rental for 2 hours was £235!!!!

They declined...lol.

St Agnes Thirds 3 – 0 Stithians Reserves

This semi final took place on beautiful sunny day at Perranporth Football Club. The game started quite evenly with St Agnes looking slightly nervous. Around the 20th minute mark St Agnes started to take control and created a few openings in a physical Stithians side. The deadlock was broken with 10 minutes of the first half left when Aggie won a corner which resulted in a fantastic touch and powerful finish from Dan Ware from just inside the 18-yard box.

The 2nd half started as it finished with Aggie dominating. Resolute defending from the St Agnes back 3 stifled any chances Stithians created, and it didn’t take long for the game to go 2-0 when Harry Evans made a lung busting run through the Stithians defence, slotting the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper. A nasty injury to a Stithians player caused the game to be held up for 5 minutes whilst he was carried off the pitch. Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery! Jordan Myatt had a wonderful header written off for a very close offside decision. The game was put to bed when Daniel Cox, found an extra yard of pace to beat his man and find the net in the 80th minute.

A great afternoon of football and we’re looking forward to playing Dropship in the final!