Cornwall Football Forum

Fancy A Job Anyone

MAGPIES IN CHAOS AS DUO RESIGN

09:00 - 13 March 2008

Penzance afc have been plunged into turmoil ahead of Saturday's home Peninsula League fixture against Goonhavern, following the resignations of joint managers Adrian Ferrell and John McCallum.

The pair, who took over at Penlee Park in July last year, having previously managed the club's reserves, stood down after a shock 2-1 defeat away to league strugglers Callington on Saturday, although Ferrell told The Cornishman that the result had no bearing on their decision to quit the club.

"Our minds were already made up to resign before the game at Callington," he said.

"It was a pretty emotional time for myself and John when we broke the news to the players. It wasn't what we wanted at all, but we felt we had been pushed into a situation where we had no option."

Ferrell spoke of his upset and dismay after he had picked up his copy of last week's Cornishman, to find the club were advertising for a manager, player-manager or coach for the 2008-2009 season.

"The minute we picked up the paper John and I knew that we were left with no choice but to stand down - and to be honest, we both feel badly let down by the club's committee.

"We took over when the club was struggling and had lost virtually the entire squad from the previous season. We barely had time to organise a friendly," said Ferrell.

"But we worked our socks off to get a squad together and we've had a decent first season, leading the club to what will probably be their best finish for many years.

Ferrell explained that prior to last week, he and McCallum had started making plans for next season and had lined up several quality players to join the club in the summer.

"The advert in the paper said that the club was aiming for promotion to the premier division over the next three seasons, but given the opportunity, I feel we could have achieved that.

"It just seems a bit unfair that whoever comes in now will probably get three years to gain promotion, when we have only been given one."

Ferrell added that the pair had received a number of phone calls from other clubs interested in their services, but was bitterly disappointed that no official from Penzance had been in contact since the weekend.

However, Ferrell had nothing but kind words for the club's loyal supporters. "We've really enjoyed the job and would like to thank all the supporters, who have been absolutely brilliant. We will also wish whoever comes in all the best.

"From a personal point of view, in all my years in the game Penzance was a job I always wanted, and even now I am proud to have managed the club."

The Magpies declined the offer to issue any further statement on Ferrell and McCallum's departure, or comment on who would be taking over the reins for the Magpies' remaining seven games of the season in division one west.

Club chairman Neil Badcock was, however, keen to place on record his thanks to them both for the time and energy they had given to the club over the last three seasons and wished them every success in the future.

Guest Tax-Dodging Saint

The report of Saturday's game was so wrong as well. I know we didn't deserve a good write up in the Cornishman but getting the scorer wrong is one thing but to say we scored just before half time is crazy. A 93rd minute equaliser was cancelled out with Callington getting the winner 30seconds later!

The report of Saturday's game was so wrong as well. I know we didn't deserve a good write up in the Cornishman but getting the scorer wrong is one thing but to say we scored just before half time is crazy. A 93rd minute equaliser was cancelled out with Callington getting the winner 30seconds later!

whats the situation with your pitch??????? will it hold up for saturday after the recent weather??????

Guest Black&White

Hi Tax-Dodging Saint, apologies for the inacurracies in the match report, which I will of course amend for my records, which appear in the programme etc.

Saturday's game at Callington was one of only three league games that I have missed all season, and as such I had to rely on details which were passed on to me, in good faith, from a Plymouth-based media colleague. I hope that clears that one up for you.

Guest Tax-Dodging Saint

Black & White. I know you were not at the game so its not a moan at you but your media colleague was obviously not present either haha.

R and l. trained on pitch last night no real problems even after the recent weather.

Black & White. I know you were not at the game so its not a moan at you but your media colleague was obviously not present either haha.

R and l. trained on pitch last night no real problems even after the recent weather.

Thats good to hear Reen manor is hardly ever called of either (to much wind for the rain to settle lol)

Look forward to sat then :clapper:

I guess this has been on the cards for some time but you have to feel some sympathy

for John and Adrian IF the whole issue has been handled in such a way.

Rumours were circulating some time before these announcements and even a couple of names

were mentioned to be in the running.

I also heard from a reliable source that a former manager was sounded out last weekend and player

budgets were discussed.

A dissapointing season with the prospect of fighting Truro/Port for top spot next season...gonna be big

ask for whoever takes over the reigns.

Having read the Cornishman article more thoroughly , i hope he has been mis-quoted when he talks about 'leading the club to what will probably be their best finish for many years'

How can you say that when PZ are competing in the SWPL Div1 West in its inaugural season!!

So who will be in charge for the Goonhavern game? I appreciate that things were difficult up at Callington (those of us who live here get used to the sub-zero temperatures!) but the team performance was not good even though there was honest endeavour: whoever has the task on Saturday is faced with a big one I think.

I just feel bitterly sorry for both men, but in particular for Adrian. In my view there are very few gentlemen in the game these days and for me Adrian is one. I hope that he will find he way back into football soon.

I wish that Penzance could have handled things in a better way for the sake of all concerned.

I have to agree with you,General,about Adrian.John,i don't know too well but always found him polite and a good captain of his team.

Adrian might not have agreed with all of my decisions out in the middle but i always knew that he would be one of the first to come over,shake my hand and pass a word of thanks.In my dealings with him,i always found him to be a gentleman and he has my respect.

Lets not hope that both men are lost to football and bounce back in some capacity.

Guest Woodpecker

Latest Odds :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Trevor Mewton 5/2 (Fav)

Gary Marks 7/1

Alan Carey 10/1

Nick & Mark George 15/1

Jeff Richardson 20/1

Tony Kellow 50/1

Steve McClaren 100/1

Winno 150/1